Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

Regular reports on Factorio development.
protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

Post by protocol_1903 »

IronCartographer wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:03 pm
Any word on whether sounds in space are altered by the vacuum environment and hearing them *through the structure* of a space platform, rather than via air? I'm not sure whether it would add or detract!
It might be a sort of vibrational noise, like buzzing and humming. Although i could see it go both ways.

kitt159
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kitt159 »

DanGio wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:20 pm
The water sound seems a bit loud and over demonstrative.
I agree. The water sounds more like splashing from a clogged pipe. I think the sound should be continuous and less distracting.
MarvinCZ wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:31 pm
But there is one quality-of-life improvement related to sounds that I would really love to see in the 2.0 game - it is an option in the settings to mute game sounds when factorio loses focus.
It might be better to have the option to adjust the volume when the factorio has no focus. Also, it would be nice to hear at least a warning when the volume is turned down completely.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

I like that. I also like the fact that many of the things shown will be moddbable. But I have one question. Is the new sound system backwards compatible or do all mods with entities, items etc. have to be adapted?

I'm also looking forward to the new music.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

The inventory pick up and drop sounds are exceedingly grating on the ears. The inserter made me want to vomit, and the others weren't much better.

Please tell us they can be disabled...

Or just have an option for pre-2.0 generic inventory sounds. All that is needed is the auditory feedback that an item was picked up or dropped.
Last edited by MiniHerc on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

MiniHerc wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:34 pm
The inserter made me want to vomit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... do you mean the inserter sound that hasn't changed?

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Animation together with sound of foundry is mesmerising. I dont know what ingredients you used, but they are right.

Sounds of inventory are interesting, it gives you feeling you touch it. I like it. Althou I dont know how it would work in long term, ... make sure there is an option - disable inventory sounds.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Factorio music is very nice, but after hundreds and thousands of hours it gets very repetitive. Please give us 10 more hours of music, even if it increases the price of the expansion. Pleeeaaasssseee <3

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Very nice! Are some new music tracks coming as well? Planet-specific sounds sooo inviting.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

DanGio wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:20 pm
The water sound seems a bit loud and over demonstrative.
The volume has been boosted for the video, they are more subtle in-game.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

picklock wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:12 pm
But I have one question. Is the new sound system backwards compatible or do all mods with entities, items etc. have to be adapted?
It should all be backwards compatible.

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

Brathahn wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:58 pm
Justderpingalong wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:28 pm
[...]
By the way, as someone who enjoys trains quite a lot and spends a lot of time around them I suggest adding a faint 'metal screeching' noise as they go around corners. Because the wheels will be grinding up against the rails themselves.

Oh and lastly (and certainly most importantly), can we get horns?! If only just for manual use, I wanna beep at the biters! (Also could include an automatic horn that plays if a player is close to train tracks whilst a train is approaching... then again making deaths by your own trains more easily avoidable sounds like a bad thing if only because of how funny it is)
also add the iconic clackety-clunk sound when going over a switch
Already there is but an extra pronounced version for switches wouldn't be the worst thing.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

The train/elevated train sounds somewhat remind me of my toy train in my youth. For a real world simulation, it's a bit hollow in my opinion. It really sounds as if a toy train is moving over sheet metal, mounted on a plywood panel. Couldn't you add more bass, more low frequency vibration? If a real train is moving, the earth is vibrating and steel bridges are shaking. You're feeling it, not only hearing it.

bombcar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bombcar »

The actual sounds aren’t the important part of this update - the tools and features using them are. Modders will hopefully have access to these and you’ll be able to tune this to your hearts content.

Sound is an incredible part of making something immersive even if it’s hard to point out exactly what was needed. This is great.

Inventory sound differences are going to help, the wrong “clunk” will help you notice you grabbed the wrong item.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Hearing trains going over the raised rails was such a tease!

Splitframe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Splitframe »

Okay we arrived at sounds and got a few planets and space stuff left. Can't be that long left now does it? DOES IT?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

The only piece of quality hardware i use is the audio headset. I'm really happy such attention to details is given !

I think the little sound from taking and dropping things from inventoy may seem a little "too much" at first, but i'm pretty sure they'll become iconic in no time and there is the possibility to customize the levels in case , that's great imo !
Tertius wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:05 pm
The train/elevated train sounds somewhat remind me of my toy train in my youth. For a real world simulation, it's a bit hollow in my opinion. It really sounds as if a toy train is moving over sheet metal, mounted on a plywood panel. Couldn't you add more bass, more low frequency vibration? If a real train is moving, the earth is vibrating and steel bridges are shaking. You're feeling it, not only hearing it.
i kinda agree, i remember one time the sound for train was modified and to me it sounded like someone pushing a lawnmover too hard and it felt not the sound of a massive thing that's shaking the earth and potentially killing you without even slowing down. Such terrifying machine should have an equally terrifying noise to me even if it's an exageration.

I think purist would say the real noise of a train is called "tadac tadoum" (in french) because what was heard the most was when the wheels changed rails and it could be heard that the back wheel of some wagon would be closely followed by the front wheel of the next one , but it is changing, since at the industrial era, rails were different than the modern ones that can be up to 400m long and wielded with aluminum. I still think in the context of factorio, this iconic noise could be used, it's not the noise of the train engine but the noise of the wheels on the tracks. I know this noise is often used in movie, whenever the scence happens in a train because it is easy to associate.

I know nothing about car noises but i like the way the noise depend on the speed. Same for the tank. I imagine for train it would also work if you added such track noises ,it would do the tadac tadoum tadac tadoum faster and faster but it should not make such noise if the train is not moving, unlike the tank engine's noise.

I really like the ambient of the forest and water. Sadly burning forest if often a strategy for me when i run out of ammo while expanding, and have to go back while beeing followed by defending biters. I try to lure them in so they get stuck and use my last little bit of ammo to set the forest on fire. I don't ever forget that it's someone's home. :evil: I play most of the time peacefull because it's hard not to act as a monster when it's so easy and fun. It would be the same effect on me if you gave biters some human-sounding agonizing sound when they die, having them sound like insects, potentially hearing mandibules chops would on the other hand tend to desensibilize me.

I'm just saying because i also remember the picture of the biters that was posted in an early FFF, and now i'm expecting it to make interesting noise like the foundry :)

V0ID
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by V0ID »

Another reason why I wish for tree replanting and maybe even a local pollution cleaner / shield, such that we can have an oasis inside our base :mrgreen:
I hope at least that the option stays to make trees invincible to pollution like it's possible currently ;)

woodmaker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by woodmaker »

Please make something with sound of radar. It hurts me.
And it could also be nice, if inserters made the sound of taking and putting of a material they work with.
Last edited by woodmaker on Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitt159
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kitt159 »

mmmPI wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:44 pm
Tertius wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:05 pm
i kinda agree, i remember one time the sound for train was modified and to me it sounded like someone pushing a lawnmover too hard and it felt not the sound of a massive thing that's shaking the earth and potentially killing you without even slowing down. Such terrifying machine should have an equally terrifying noise to me even if it's an exageration.

I think purist would say the real noise of a train is called "tadac tadoum" (in french) because what was heard the most was when the wheels changed rails and it could be heard that the back wheel of some wagon would be closely followed by the front wheel of the next one , but it is changing, since at the industrial era, rails were different than the modern ones that can be up to 400m long and wielded with aluminum. I still think in the context of factorio, this iconic noise could be used, it's not the noise of the train engine but the noise of the wheels on the tracks. I know this noise is often used in movie, whenever the scence happens in a train because it is easy to associate.
Personally, I think the train sounds are good. Yes, they aren't that cool, but maybe that's because they want to keep the cool sounds for some monster that will come in the future? ;)

kpreid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kpreid »

The thing that has bugged me about the vehicle sounds (as they currently are in the released game) is that they don't reflect engine output — which is significantly determined by the vehicle's acceleration, not solely its speed. I want to hear trains roar when they start pulling out of a station. Could you try adding that? In principle this should be just speeding up the “idling” sound, or possibly that plus crossfading it to a different one (at the same variable speed) with more low-frequency content (so the engine audibly revs-up but without sounding tinny).

Return to “News”