Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

Post by FactorioBot »

Necronium
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

Post by Necronium »

Nice sounds improvment, will wait for new music

03noster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 03noster »

Sounds really nice, I was wondering whether the water sound could be bound to the pollution level to make it sound more "sludgy" as it gets "greener". Can't wait for new music!

Enderbsd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Enderbsd »

Sounds amazing.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Cool !

The water sound seems a bit loud and over demonstrative.

I'm hyped about this new Vulcanus ambient sound, it's a bit sad that we can't hear it today tho :)

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

New big mining drill with its sound and animation looks gorgeous 8-)

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

I love the new sounds of assemblers, and the new inventory sounds are interesting but refreshing. Vehicles sound amazing. Mining drills sound great, i know that was a main reason you wanted it cuz the current ones dont have the dynamic sounds.

+5 points for foundry "bonk" noise :)

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Adds immensely to the game. 2.0 is turning out to be a big bomb of an update!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

Oh my god does this FINALLY mean massive biter swarms won't drown out our friends?
Next time you're setting a forest on fire, remember it might be someone's home.
Also how dare you try to make us feel immoral for our ruthless exploitation of the planets and the mass genocide of it's inhabitants!

By the way, as someone who enjoys trains quite a lot and spends a lot of time around them I suggest adding a faint 'metal screeching' noise as they go around corners. Because the wheels will be grinding up against the rails themselves.

Oh and lastly (and certainly most importantly), can we get horns?! If only just for manual use, I wanna beep at the biters! (Also could include an automatic horn that plays if a player is close to train tracks whilst a train is approaching... then again making deaths by your own trains more easily avoidable sounds like a bad thing if only because of how funny it is)

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MarvinCZ »

Nice one, even though I am not completely sold on the sound blending between idling motor and revving one, it does not sound completely natural to me, but it can be just me. 🤷‍♂️

But there is one quality-of-life improvement related to sounds that I would really love to see in the 2.0 game - it is an option in the settings to mute game sounds when factorio loses focus. That way I could keep the game running in the background and do something else on my computer without being distracted by the sounds coming from the game. Currently I have to go to settings and lower volume all the way down manually every time and then raise it again once I switch back. Or please at least let us have a keyboard shortcut for mute/unmute. 🙂

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

great, you can finally sync sound with animation, but what about syncing sounds between machines? I'm currently developing a mod similar to labdancen, but the sound is completely synchronized, the only way I found is to create a special entity that is synchronized locally and poll the machine attached to it for its status, if the machine is stopped, then delete the entity. this is very harmful to ups, at least due to the fact that every second I need to go through a large array of entities polling the world, so if with the “persistent” property the sound was turned off when the machine was idle, then this would greatly simplify the task

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

Can't wait for 2.0, really good job guys!

Also I like the ambient sounds of the water and the alien-bird. After zooming in, this lil dude showed up :lol:
alien-bird
Fun-fact: He was the first of its kind born in Prague

DBotThePony
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DBotThePony »

Now the only thing we need is weather conditions, Nauvis is in big need for rain.
Last edited by DBotThePony on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

fishycat wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 pm
After zooming in, this lil dude showed up :lol:
Blast. They've evolved! Send word to the western territories to be on high alert!

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

DBotThePony wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:56 pm
Now the only thing we need is weather conditions, Nauvis is in much need for rain.
Ah, cleaning solar panels or changing outputs dependent on cloud cover would be fun

Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brathahn »

Justderpingalong wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:28 pm
[...]
By the way, as someone who enjoys trains quite a lot and spends a lot of time around them I suggest adding a faint 'metal screeching' noise as they go around corners. Because the wheels will be grinding up against the rails themselves.

Oh and lastly (and certainly most importantly), can we get horns?! If only just for manual use, I wanna beep at the biters! (Also could include an automatic horn that plays if a player is close to train tracks whilst a train is approaching... then again making deaths by your own trains more easily avoidable sounds like a bad thing if only because of how funny it is)
also add the iconic clackety-clunk sound when going over a switch

DomChaco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DomChaco »

Very nice, I love the new sounds, specially the foundry sounds amazing.

+1 to the mute when on background option, I've recently enabled something like that but had to go into experimental settings to change the sound backend back to allegro, and disable the global focus option on the hidden settings. I'm not quite sure what I'm losing by changing the sound backend, so it would be nice if this could be a regular option.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Great improvements!

Could you make rocks more smashy and metals more dingy-ringy-belly? Both sound too quite.

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

Brathahn wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:58 pm
Justderpingalong wrote:
[...]

also add the iconic clackety-clunk sound when going over a switch
It would be interesting to have more ambient noise as a train moves. Maybe also thunks as it moves over a grade crossing, or little clicks and electrical buzz as it enters a new rail block?

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Justderpingalong wrote:
Also how dare you try to make us feel immoral for our ruthless exploitation of the planets and the mass genocide of it's inhabitants!
FWIW, until biters demonstrate some sort of cultural awareness, extermination is probably a better word. Genocide doesn't even necessarily mean use of lethal force--it can be something as insidious as raising a population's children away from the knowledge of their real parents' life experiences and preferences. Jokes about the subject relating to Factorio often both over- and under-sell the horrors of the reality by trying to apply it to creatures without such a sense of self (as far as we know--maybe the expansion will change this? Floating brains!).

Moving on...

The engine improvements continue to be impressive. The expectations of immersion potential in the expansion must grow. :)

Any word on whether sounds in space are altered by the vacuum environment and hearing them *through the structure* of a space platform, rather than via air? I'm not sure whether it would add or detract!

Return to “News”