Friday Facts #392 - Parametrised blueprints

Regular reports on Factorio development.
toprakkoyun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #392 - Parametrised blueprints

Post by toprakkoyun »

havent read it yet but hope it has a feature to flip and glip blueprints with chem plants, refinery, rail signals, and stations :D

Beuteschema
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beuteschema »

this is amazing
on my current save im mostly only outposting anymore, since i design all my actual blueprints in godmode
as my train station design relays its content to the circuit network of my base (including the contents of the requester chests), i cannot use a constant combinator to set the requests in each chest
thankfully i can just copy paste another outpost but with this ill be able to just select what i want, which is awesome
also all my station hold exactly 15 trains worth of items, which makes displaying the current item stocks of my base really clean
40 stacks * 15 wagons = 12 steel chests * 48 stacks + 12 requester chests * 2 stacks
currently, when outposting, i dont have to adjust the stack size in this combinator (this turns the rail signals in the station on 1 by 1 front to back as the station fills 1 train load and lets me see the progress of the station filling up from the map), since all ores have a stack size of 50
but when designing any other production chain, ill probably be able to set the stack size dynamically depending on the item i select when putting down the blueprint
this makes me really happy and i cant wait for the dlc & 2.0 (kinda reminds me of cyberpunk and its renaissance, only that factorio was never bad, it only became greater)

Frozll
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Frozll »

This is great!!! Just a quick question: if I understand correctly the parametrization UI allows you to parametrize recipes and constant combinators?

My first thought on reading the title was that the entities in the blueprint themselves were parametrizable (is that a word?). For example: a station blueprint with a parameter for the amount of lanes. Or a powergrid blueprint with parameters for the amount of blocks it spans. This is not that I take from the post?

MatrimVidz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MatrimVidz »

I hope that stack size of a given item is available. This is one of the things i miss most right now with my megabase blueprints.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

If Factorio is like programming, you just added Vim, when before we only had notepad.

(To be clear, I like Vim.)
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Tooster wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:51 pm
Instead of a fixed number of signals from 0-9 I would recommend a tag/name based system.
I agree that names would be better, but if you look at what happens when changing the parameters, you see that originally the variable signals are in the blueprint, and later they are changed to your selection: I think separate names would require some kind of reimplementation.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

foxoftheasterisk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by foxoftheasterisk »

sounds amazing, can't wait :mrgreen:

bluewilson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bluewilson »

I think you are doing right in considering Factorio players a bit differently minded. At least you find a lot of love and appreciation for these things.

Me, personally, I'll probably potentially use it. If I could edit and manage blueprints in a more elegant way, i'd be more thrilled, though. Like entering a separate surface like blueprint sandboxes, if I click edit or something. The yet another rail signal is missing moments, and copy and paste and reenter name and proper grid x and y's and the right symbols all over again. I understand why streamers restrain themselves from publishing their BPs, as they even get external feedback on them.

0log0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 0log0 »

It's awesome, but there are already mods that do this. What they don't do is add a button into the button bar in the blueprint window, like this feature does. It would make more sense to allow modded blueprint window buttons (which would open up a TON of other functionality) and then release this feature as a mod.

Niyu.Cuatro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niyu.Cuatro »

This is going into the top list of features i never new how much i wanted. I'll have to get my hands on it and try it to form a more solid opinion, but it looks really useful for now.

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

Blitz4 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:59 pm
Add Blueprints as a downloadable mod. This somewhat makes them a mod. But more importantly cool creations should be shared and this is going to create some cool stuff.

Also, speedrunners can use blueprints, but not mods.
I would love to have a Blueprint portal in game. That would allow blueprint designers to share their designs similar to mods. It also allows players who use those public blueprints to be able to get updates for new versions of the blueprints they like.

I know there are factorioprints, factoriobin etc. to share blueprints. But they require everyone to manually update the blueprints they use.
Or some scripting capability for mods to access blueprint library so someone can write an adapter for these sites so people can be aware of the new versions and get updated versions if they want.

BTW I'm conflicting with myself on this idea. As a designer having a better way to distribute designs would be good. On the other hand, blueprints kill creativity in general. Introducing fully optimized blueprints to new players would harm their experience. I always recommend people to finish their first run solo without mods and blueprints and learn as much as possible . That is the best experience Factorio offers and after first run you cannot get it again.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

Tooster wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:51 pm
A really nice feature! I have one feature request though to help with UX:

Instead of a fixed number of signals from 0-9 I would recommend a tag/name based system.
True! I like variables with descriptive names

Gemma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gemma »

It's beautiful.

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

Awesome feature!
Just two notes:
- I hope it's possible to re-order the parameters. Although it did look like it is.
- Ideally use of variables should also be possible on lines above the one that declares the variable. Although if re-ordering is possible this isn't super critical.

xttweaponttx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xttweaponttx »

WOW this looks absolutely beautiful. Cannot wait to have this in game!!! SO STOKED for this new update, can't wait!!! =D

mophab
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mophab »

This along with the Railroad changes look great!
I am looking forward to them and I think most players are as well.
I am a programmer, but I think these new features will be interesting to all players.

-- Waiting for the new release with great anticipation.

Joe Black
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Joe Black »

Wow, das wird immer besser. Her damit!

Wow, this just keeps getting better. Bring it on!

sOvr9000
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sOvr9000 »

Can't wait!

Blitz4
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blitz4 »

ElderAxe wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:34 pm
Blitz4 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:59 pm
Add Blueprints as a downloadable mod. This somewhat makes them a mod. But more importantly cool creations should be shared and this is going to create some cool stuff.

Also, speedrunners can use blueprints, but not mods.
I would love to have a Blueprint portal in game. That would allow blueprint designers to share their designs similar to mods. It also allows players who use those public blueprints to be able to get updates for new versions of the blueprints they like.

I know there are factorioprints, factoriobin etc. to share blueprints. But they require everyone to manually update the blueprints they use.
Or some scripting capability for mods to access blueprint library so someone can write an adapter for these sites so people can be aware of the new versions and get updated versions if they want.

BTW I'm conflicting with myself on this idea. As a designer having a better way to distribute designs would be good. On the other hand, blueprints kill creativity in general. Introducing fully optimized blueprints to new players would harm their experience. I always recommend people to finish their first run solo without mods and blueprints and learn as much as possible . That is the best experience Factorio offers and after first run you cannot get it again.
Brilliant statement that blueprints kill creativity in general.

Allow me to show you one extreme example to that theory. Could be the future, who knows. So nVidia, they wrote a paper for an AI that would beat Minecraft, but more than that. It wrote instructions to perform the tasks in the game that are required to beat Minecraft as fast a possible. It improved those instructions through a variety of ways, primarily by learning & testing over many iterations. Cool right. It gets better. This was crated using ChatGPT4. Doing so allows the AI to receive instructions from the player. The AI can be playing as if they were the player at every moment to decide what's the most efficient path to the end goal (beating the game), but not share what they're thinking to the player. (I just said AI is thinking, oh boy). What's cool is if the player needs help at any time, they can say, "What's the best thing for me todo right now?" Or "What's the fastest way to build a boat from where I'm at?"
Video covering it in good detail "Minecraft AI - NVIDIA uses GPT-4 to create a SELF-IMPROVING autonomous agent.":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yI4yfYftfM

I mentioned that as watching how new players use the feature will provide some insights into your theory.

Another factor. I mentioned speedrunners. What if you could create a blueprint that created a base. Yes this has been done before. But I can't imagine how it was done would work in all cases and that this update would. I could see DoshDoshington trying that. Recent video of his showing some of what that may look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpUQZIr15g
What happens if this change prevents blueprints from being allowed in normal speedruns? If that happens, then that'd be something to consider to prove your theory.

I believe that sharing blueprints to newer players would hurt their experience that don't understand the why behind them. Until you can build a basic smelting line by hand, you don't need blueprints. Blueprints are solely to reduce the difficulty of the game for challenges that I've solved (by my measure time is the only difficulty in a game). I can't tell you how many years I went without knowing how the game wanted me to store my blueprints to be uploaded to steam cloud (it's still confusing). I only had blueprints per save and didn't use blueprints for things that I would only create once in game. I believe it contributed towards me wanting to restart more frequently. Now I get to use my blueprints in every game.

If there was a tutorial, as mentioned in that nVidia demo, that'd change things for newer players. Also there's not a tool like Helmod built into the game, likely for a reason similar to your theory. If i'm playing vanilla, I'm more likely to use blueprints, but if I could install helmod, I'm more likely to not use any blueprints.

I do believe adding a blueprint hub, similar to the mod hub we have in game, would cause people to play the game more. For some of the reasons mentioned above of my use case. I feel it's important for new players to:
* Know how to backup their blueprints (currently it's confusing/odd)
* Know how todo proper ratios with info presented in game (yes there's no calculator in game, making the calculator they use part of the gameplay)

EDIT: Mod used in that DoshDoshington video: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/recursive-blueprints

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:30 pm
If Factorio is like programming, you just added Vim, when before we only had notepad.

(To be clear, I like Vim.)
No, we had only Vim, and thankfully now we have something designed around UX this time, instead of vim :D
(To be clear, I dislike Vim.)
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “News”