Friday Facts #391 - 2023 recap

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #391 - 2023 recap

Post by FactorioBot »

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #391 - 2023 recap

Post by SnowZyDe »

Good

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

"INSTALL MODS LIST" button OMG I HAVE WAITED FOR SO LONG!

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

@raiguard, would Factorio CLI also be improved? It would be nice to have FactorioModManager functionality bundled, as well as have options to check/download/install Factorio updates from CLI.
Last edited by Hares on Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Another great change!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

The ability to go to manage mods if an issue is detected is all well and good, but there is one more aspect that needs to be implemented: mod settings.
Sometimes an error in the setup can only be resolved by flipping a mod setting to some value, which if I understand the new system correctly, would still require several restarts.

atanvarno
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by atanvarno »

Hares wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:17 pm
@raiguard, would Factorio CLI also be improved? It would be nice to have FactorioModManager functionality bundled, as well as have options to check/download/install Factorio updates from CLI.
Made a forum account to give this a +1.

Updating the game version as well as updating/managing mods is a real friction point with a headless installation. I would be delighted with a first party command line tool to help, or richer command line parameters on the executable itself, to enable updating and mod management.

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

Due to my extensive modding experience
I just remembered that I wanted to look at the profile of each wube employee on the mod portal and roughly estimate the contribution of the rest of the mods in terms of quantity and downloads (considering that space exploration and krastorio were developed by you, I think that 10 percent is the most pessimistic estimate)
in general, I want to see statistics for this category too, please, I think it will be interesting

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Dial-up wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:09 pm
I just remembered that I wanted to look at the profile of each wube employee on the mod portal and roughly estimate the contribution of the rest of the mods in terms of quantity and downloads (considering that space exploration and krastorio were developed by you, I think that 10 percent is the most pessimistic estimate)
in general, I want to see statistics for this category too, please, I think it will be interesting
Raiguard is capable of K2 only, although he is the author of many other popular mods, such as EditorExtensions which is mod#1. Space Exploration is a child of Earendel who is also a Wube's employee since they started working on the Space Age (other noticeable creations of the latter are AAI, Alien Biomes, and Text Plates).

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

I’m also waiting for statistics from someone about the forums, I very often see newcomers in discussions from the first mention of factorio 2.0 (I’m among them, although I’m already a long-time player)

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

Hares wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:18 pm
Raiguard is capable of K2 only, although he is the author of many other popular mods, such as EditorExtensions which is mod#1. Space Exploration is a child of Earendel who is also a Wube's employee since they started working on the Space Age (other noticeable creations of the latter are AAI, Alien Biomes, and Text Plates).
and that's why I'm asking for statistics :)
because I sometimes notice developer nicknames from fff or about page on the page with recently updated mods

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

The solution was simple: In 2.0, I added a new Manage mods button that allows full access to the mod manager GUI, including all mod portal functionality. You can see it in the screenshot above.
can I ask the same thing but for mod settings?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Thank you very much for the continued support and further development of Factorio, which has become far more than a game to me.
I'm very exited for all the new 2.0 feature and space age extension. It will be huge, when it drops; hopefully somewhere in 2024.

Batmates
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Batmates »

Please add mod grouping to the mod explorer. For example, when I want to play Space Exploration, I have to browse through the huge list of mods which I have installed and one by one select the ones I use for my SE map. It would be nice and easy to have a SE group, to which I would put all the SE mods, K2 group and then group containing the two named K2SE so I can turn the mod lists all at once.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

Thank you for another interesting FFF. It is nice to see that the ingame Mod management will be improved.

I wish everyone a happy new year.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

SkerrittT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SkerrittT »

A note to say thank you to the entire crew for Factorio.
I have enjoyed the game immensely. I still do.
I too have been reading with interest and, sometimes, amazement this new series of Friday facts. Your letting us see a glimpse behind the curtain of what is to come in 2.0 and equally interesting is the description of the thinking and strategies applied to establish the elements of 2.0 and improve on 1.1.
Its been informative, enlightening and exciting.
All the very best to WUBE for the new year. May 2024 be an outstanding and enjoyable for you all.

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

This post seems to be able to be summed up as 'how to improve modding experience? Hire modders and let them add in their bucketlist'. Seems to be working though.

continue2021
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by continue2021 »

Batmates wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:46 pm
Please add mod grouping to the mod explorer. For example, when I want to play Space Exploration, I have to browse through the huge list of mods which I have installed and one by one select the ones I use for my SE map. It would be nice and easy to have a SE group, to which I would put all the SE mods, K2 group and then group containing the two named K2SE so I can turn the mod lists all at once.
In the same way, I would also like to see the custom grouping feature added to the mod management interface

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

Please add parallel downloads when updating mods on mod management GUI as well.
It's currently implemented on sync mods feature when you're entering a game. But updating installed mods takes long times.

Hopscotch1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

OMG does this mean there will be a factorio 3.0 ?!?!
Attachments
2023-12-29 15_34_04-Window.png
2023-12-29 15_34_04-Window.png (25.15 KiB) Viewed 5409 times

Return to “News”