Friday Facts #387 - Swimming in lava

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #387 - Swimming in lava

Post by Unknow0059 »

Melting is cool but I can already tell I won't be able to cast or recycle everything I should, for no good reason. Like how I can't autoplace underground pipes like how underground belts are placed.

The animation for the new drill looks a little still. It should shake when it moves like the Assembly Machines shake.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Jarin wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:24 pm
If an intermediate is only ever used for one thing then perhaps it should be more useful or be removed
You have no idea how much of a relief it is to read these words. This was my single biggest frustration when trying to play Space Exploration (unique single-use buildings that make unique single-use items for science), and the thing that put me off continuing my playthrough of it.
It's funny because I wrote that line. SE will get the same treatment eventually.

Syriusz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Syriusz »

If you want to fit alternative recipes with recycling, you could go with statistical approach- you recycle with random recipe, with a chance proportional to items crafted with this recipe. So for example, if you crafted 600 gears with recipe A, and 400 gears with B, you have 60% chance to recycle with recipe A. So if you recycled 100 gears you will recycle 60 with recipe A, and 40 with recipe B (let's ignore in between state). You could subtract the number of recycled items with recipes, but I'm not sure if it is even needed, would need to be tested. So with the example, if you would happen to be lucky enough to recycle with only recipe A, then you would only count 500 recipe A and 400 recipe B to calculate new chances, so you would have only 55% chance to use recipe A.

Would that matter if someone would get item from machine with recipe A and recycled it with recipe B? Maybe, but only if they recycle to upgrade quality but then they only need to filter out ingredients they use with recipe they use somewhere else, and they already know the recipe since they used it, so it should not be that surprising, only a small increase in complexity if they already have factory complex enough to use multiple recipes.

JohnyDarecek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JohnyDarecek »

Big mining drill for President of Nauvis!

Chrisdasdasd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chrisdasdasd »

Can I take it you implemented liquid temps properly?
OR will we have lava running at warm 20 degrees in pipes? ;)

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scarhoof »

With lava being a "minable" resource, will we find the occasional pool of lava on Nauvis now, so that we can utilize this mechanic in late-game, or will this be a mechanice exclusive to Vulcanus?

FerMod
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FerMod »

I hope you add some type of ripple effect when dropping items in the lava (or in liquids). I don't know if you thought of this, but it would be a nice touch.
Other than that, I like the new machines. You nailed the "sturdy" look.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Earendel wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:03 pm
Jarin wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:24 pm
If an intermediate is only ever used for one thing then perhaps it should be more useful or be removed
You have no idea how much of a relief it is to read these words. This was my single biggest frustration when trying to play Space Exploration (unique single-use buildings that make unique single-use items for science), and the thing that put me off continuing my playthrough of it.
It's funny because I wrote that line. SE will get the same treatment eventually.
If not for SE, we propably would not have had the chance to experience that drawback in the first place. The enrichment loops getting tiresome and building the same infrastructure was the last thing I expected when I poured the 700 hours in. Thank you for everything <3

Also, I don't remember anymore, but I could have sworn, that you were active on ic2 forums 10 years ago, no? I can't seem to find it anymore.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

aka13 wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:29 pm
Also, I don't remember anymore, but I could have sworn, that you were active on ic2 forums 10 years ago, no? I can't seem to find it anymore.
Yeah pretty sure someone who once contributed a little bit to GregTech back in ye olden days had the same profile Picture. XD

Edit: Also pretty sure I am the reason that the Core Miners have dedicated spots now, just because SOMEONE posted a pic of my Core Miner spam on a Uranium Moon... (I needed it because said someone also installed schalls uranium processing, making space exploration significantly more difficult by "accident")

Edit Edit: And now for what I actually wanted to say:

Those Big Drills can be spaced apart 8 tiles without losing coverage, more than enough for a beaconed direct to train mining combo. Might be a slight bit overkill.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

GregoriusT wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:35 pm
Yeah pretty sure someone who once contributed a little bit to GregTech back in ye olden days had the same profile Picture. XD

Yes, exactly, that's a pretty specific pfp.

Glad to see you are still kicking as well, always a pleasure. I still sometimes fire up 1.7.10 and enjoy my cape.
Some things just don't age I guess
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Tohim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tohim »

yagors2 wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:03 pm
If you have to build multiple bases then it's important to reduce points of repetition between planets so that nothing feels stale. Over time we have consistently tried to simplify and cut excessive things. If something is repetitive but can't be cut, then we can add a new twist or a new shortcut instead. This has been the case since Earendel's initial version and every iteration since, so now we can get through all the planets while keeping the gameplay fresh
I now wonder if we will get some terrain structures on other planets that make obtaining resources truly something alien. On Nauvis we got "resource is in ground, mine the ground" and on Vulcanus "resource is on lava, extract and smelt from the lava". 3 planets to go, and that makes chances of getting at least another mechanic to get raw materials very likeky. But WHAT coud it be? I picture a great boulder of pure copper being cut to chunks with laser turrets and getting picked up by carrier drones, or a scheduled ship that sails from port on an ocean world and detonates depth charges on the sea floor to mine salt deposits, then grabbing those by water-turbines that separate the water-resource mix nearby and filtrates what you want from all the sludge.
Unlimited creative potential, really. Make it weird, make it complex, but make it INDUSTRIAL. Im so happy with these FFFs
Can't wait for the oceanic planet that makes you play the game like Seablock. :)

kirkbauer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kirkbauer »

When I saw the title "Swimming" I thought you'd be able to actually swim in lava (and, presumably, also in water). Obviously, that isn't what was revealed, however I did love everything that I saw.

I now suspect that there may be some foreshadowing going on though...

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Whoops, I think I caught some possible typos in the post.
From there is was down to Jerzy to build this monster into its final form:
So, recycling an iron plate will just return an iron plate, with 25% chance.
Wouldn't it return the ore? More to my point, why would it return itself?
(I'll delete this post after it's fixed. Unless someone quotes me, our posterity will ever know ;-))
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

OK, can I just say how much I absolutely ADORE the new Foundry piece? It actually looks like a proper blast furnace now, WAY better than the existing Furnace models which look more like ovens than actual blast furnaces. I can't WAIT to use that in my playthroughs!
I am dragonkin and proud of it. If you don't like furries or dragons, tough.

Blocking me will only prove me right.

I love trains, I love aircraft, I love space, I love Factorio.

Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sigma1 »

very big fan of the big machines (pun not intended), they really hit the industrial vibes of the game much better imo than the older small ones, especially the foundry. i'm also loving the idea of molten metal handling, and i hope it'll get used for more complex production chains, turning scaling from a sheer.. scale.. problem to a complexity one, which i feel is something Factorio overall is slightly lacking without mods

although piping molten metals through regular metal pipes feels a bit wrong, i'd maybe change that to use some kind of casting channel, and make it impossible to store molten metal in tanks or feed it through pumps, especially since that'd give another thing to consider in designing builds if the channels have limited range
she/they

bugologist2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bugologist2 »

I don't think it has been talked about yet but i hope there is new soundtracks for each planet and in space.

Freddy404
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Freddy404 »

Vulcan sounds more interesting with each FFF :)
Twisted_Code wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:57 pm
So, recycling an iron plate will just return an iron plate, with 25% chance.
Wouldn't it return the ore? More to my point, why would it return itself?
If you'd include the sentences before that:
This isn't the case for smelting and chemical processes, as the recycler returning ingredients of these transformative recipes just doesn't make any sense. So, recycling an iron plate will just return an iron plate, with 25% chance.
They decided smelter (and chemical) recipes are kept as irreversible. However, for some reason they want the recycler to still accept iron plates, in which case it recycles them to sometimes iron plates.
This might make sense if for some reason you're trying to create quality iron plates (recycle low quality plates through quality module'd recyclers -> loose a lot, but increase the quality of what remains). Or if for some reason you had a mixed feed to a recycler that you can't filter plates out of.
Also, it's an additional way to void items (because most things recycle down to plates etc., and those can be voided by a recycling loop).
Sigma1 wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:20 pm
although piping molten metals through regular metal pipes feels a bit wrong, i'd maybe change that to use some kind of casting channel, and make it impossible to store molten metal in tanks or feed it through pumps, especially since that'd give another thing to consider in designing builds if the channels have limited range
I very much agree, I'd have expected separate pipes/channels. Like we already have for heat transfer. Or the molten channels from Captain of Industry (and propably other factory games as well).

gangamecs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gangamecs »

Thanks V! Great work. That foundry design reminds me of YETI industry :D Keep it going!

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

On the topic of "not" beelining it to Metallurgy:

I guess one of the less volcanic Planets is giving you the Recycler and some sort of "Conservation" or "Resourcefulness" Science Pack, that might also make Rocket Segments Reusable like in Space Exploration or provide a repeatable "less resource depletion by mining drill" science, meaning some people might wanna beeline it for that instead to be able to have better interplanetary Infrastructure.

That said, I will probably beeline it to whichever planet has NEITHER feature, because the Recycler is not necessary, and Mass Smelting Stuff is not really needed before going to Space either, especially if you overproduce a lot from trying to spam basic Tier 1 Quality Modules in all Machines and filtering out the quality Stuff, while sending the junk to the Science Pack Assemblers.

Because a lot of the really often used Items happen to also be Science Pack ingredients, like Red Ammo for example, because the Science Packs are supposed to encourage people to automate more, wonderful synergy on the Game Design there, where Quality gets used for your personal Stuff and Common gets sent to be made into Science Packs.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

So what do filled barrels recycle into anyway? Empty barrels and void the liquid?

Return to β€œNews”