Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Post by Twisted_Code »

If landfill is reversible now, and other tile placements like extending a space platform are likely to follow (you want every action to be reversible when possible, from what it sounds like)... should we even need to hold the "super" key if placing tiles is the only thing blocking a blueprint? Unlike the other stuff that has this extra key requirement, building or removing a tile generally will not impact production unless an entity is also created or removed on top of it, right?
Last edited by Twisted_Code on Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

XelSelenius wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:46 pm
Supper Forced: Will work the same way as above but will also apply landfill in the areas where there is water. Therefore you do not need to landfill the place with water before you place BP or do this again because there was ONE spot with water right under a building.
Twisted_Code wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:47 pm
If landfill is reversible now, and other title placements like extending a space platform are likely to follow (you want every action to be reversible when possible, from what it sounds like)... should we even need to hold the "super" key if placing tiles is the only thing blocking a blueprint? Unlike the other stuff that has this extra key requirement, building or removing a tile generally will not impact production unless an entity is also created or removed on top of it, right?
Super Forced will also remove your placed entities if they conflict, not just place landfill. Hence the solar field and crisscrossing belt examples they showed.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Super force building - The circle is closing

Post by Qon »

ElderAxe wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:56 pm
You know we have some capabilities to modify a blueprint like removing an entity or setting the snap anchor etc.
Maybe we could have a way of adding deconstruction marks to empty tiles in blueprints. So we can mark those tiles that can break the blueprint.
I already said that the blueprint view isn't good enough, it fails on big blueprints. Good luck hitting the 9876 tiles each a pixel, individually clicked and manually.
It doesn't work. Wooden chests that are manually removed are better.

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

Qon wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:34 pm
ElderAxe wrote:
You know we have some capabilities to modify a blueprint like removing an entity or setting the snap anchor etc.
Maybe we could have a way of adding deconstruction marks to empty tiles in blueprints. So we can mark those tiles that can break the blueprint.
I already said that the blueprint view isn't good enough, it fails on big blueprints. Good luck hitting the 9876 tiles each a pixel, individually clicked and manually.
It doesn't work. Wooden chests that are manually removed are better.
I needed a scrollable blueprint preview before too. But that is not the concern of this topic.

Wooden chests, lamps or any other 1x1 entity will be the hacky solution to solve this problem. But it would easily become an annoying repetitive task when you play with lots of blueprints. Also, I love to share my blueprints I don't feel good about adding a comment like "Delete wooden chests after placing the blueprint" to all my blueprints.

My suggestion can be implemented in blueprint design which would solve the problem in an easily understandable way.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

ElderAxe wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:54 pm
I needed a scrollable blueprint preview before too. But that is not the concern of this topic.

Wooden chests, lamps or any other 1x1 entity will be the hacky solution to solve this problem. But it would easily become an annoying repetitive task when you play with lots of blueprints. Also, I love to share my blueprints I don't feel good about adding a comment like "Delete wooden chests after placing the blueprint" to all my blueprints.

My suggestion can be implemented in blueprint design which would solve the problem in an easily understandable way.
Look, I agree that the wooden chest workaround is an ugly solution. I also want something proper. But your suggestion isn't good enough. I want it too, but I want the suggestion to be improved. As it is now, if they gave us that, I would super force chests instead or program recursive blueprints instead mostly because it is a more powerful solution for anything bigger than a 4 belt balancer. And it would be kind of sad to get this and then people realize it's a clunky tool that isn't worth using over wooden chests.

What are the cases where entities already on ground can break a placed blueprint? If a belt already on ground changes a turn inside a blueprint into a straight, maybe detect that and just remove that part automatically. Why do you need to place the red X yourself?
Pipes already on ground can connect separate pipe systems. But that can also be detected, if 2 pipes are not connected in some path within the blueprint, maybe what is on the ground should be removed then for that case also?
Inserters can also mess stuff up, if they connect entities within the placed blueprints.

When placing, you probably want things within the blueprint to connect to things outside the blueprint. But you rarely want things that are not connected within the blueprint to be connected to other things in the blueprint you are placing, by something already on ground.

It could just be a checkbox on the blueprint: "In Super Force mode, detect things on ground when placed that will mess up your pipes and belts and search and destroy them hard!"

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

ElderAxe wrote:
Screenshot 2023-11-11 154026.jpg
YES, PLEASE

AiraTheFairy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AiraTheFairy »

I think this will end up replacing walls, because the aliens can't cross water. Frankly, makes it far too easy to defend unless you make severe changes.

It also makes water a relatively useless resource, you can setup a pump everywhere.

If you want this, I think tiles should be marked "Natural" and "Artificial" and you can only remove artificial tiles, with perhaps a band of tiles around water sources being marked "artificial" as well, for a little customization of the border.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

AiraTheFairy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:40 pm
I think this will end up replacing walls, because the aliens can't cross water. Frankly, makes it far too easy to defend unless you make severe changes.

It also makes water a relatively useless resource, you can setup a pump everywhere.

If you want this, I think tiles should be marked "Natural" and "Artificial" and you can only remove artificial tiles, with perhaps a band of tiles around water sources being marked "artificial" as well, for a little customization of the border.
That's exactly how things will work. The only removable land is artificial land (landfill) built on water. It will just become revertable.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

My two cents on a couple of things:

I agree with those who say cliff destruction should be moved to Super Force Building. I usually want to keep cliffs.

I don't agree that automatic landfilling should also fill gaps between entities. There are already ways to do that, whether including concrete or brick in your blueprint, or just painting over with landfill afterwards, whereas if this happens automatically, it's awkward to undo it.

And finally, I agree with those who say that this feature looks fantastic. :D I'm wishing for it constantly in my current games, more so now that I know it's on its way.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Super Forced Building is Long overdue! Great stuff.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

Wonderful stuff :)
Just one little note: with the new ghosts, the beautiful animations of the space platform building are hidden to a substantial degree - maybe make the ghosts a little bit more transparent (or otherwise less intrusive)?

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:14 pm
XelSelenius wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:46 pm
Supper Forced: Will work the same way as above but will also apply landfill in the areas where there is water. Therefore you do not need to landfill the place with water before you place BP or do this again because there was ONE spot with water right under a building.
Twisted_Code wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:47 pm
If landfill is reversible now, and other title placements like extending a space platform are likely to follow (you want every action to be reversible when possible, from what it sounds like)... should we even need to hold the "super" key if placing tiles is the only thing blocking a blueprint? Unlike the other stuff that has this extra key requirement, building or removing a tile generally will not impact production unless an entity is also created or removed on top of it, right?
Super Forced will also remove your placed entities if they conflict, not just place landfill. Hence the solar field and crisscrossing belt examples they showed.
Gotcha. Thanks, o Furious One :-)
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

wizcreations
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wizcreations »

What happens if you super force build on a belt at a corner where the belt direction changes? Belt still breaks I assume?

Return to “News”