Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Regular reports on Factorio development.
computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Post by computeraddict »

Given water pumps can be landfilled over after placement, can I make a small request that they be placeable on landfill directly without removing the landfill first?

Great stuff tho.

Shuisman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shuisman »

If you mine landfill, does it become *fresh* water? If so, you could make an automated fill… unfill… to get fresh water every time, that can absorb new pollution…

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Shuisman wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:29 pm
If you mine landfill, does it become *fresh* water? If so, you could make an automated fill… unfill… to get fresh water every time, that can absorb new pollution…
There is no difference in pollution absorption between water and polluted water.

j_matya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by j_matya »

I wonder if you can soft-lock yourself by
  1. not having bots,
  2. picking up landfill behind you,
  3. and placing all of it ahead of you
Since IIRC you need for example real concrete "in-hand" to hand-mine it the placed tiles...

FutureSpec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FutureSpec »

This looks amazing. I actually have no complaints, which is rare for me, and high praise.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Cerberus wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:17 pm
I have one request though: now that you have super force building. Maybe it is a good idea to move cliff deconstruction to super force building instead of regular force building?
That would be nice. I too have had situations where I destroy cliffs when I didn't mean to and it can be frustrating.
Loewchen wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:46 pm
Shuisman wrote:
There is no difference in pollution absorption between water and polluted water.
Not only that, water, doesn't actually get polluted. These is a separate green water tile, but it's not used in vanilla. The green water most people are used to seeing is just a shader effect they added back when the water became animated.

Ghulmeister
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ghulmeister »

wow i didnt know that i needed this feature, but now that i saw it.... how did i ever do it without it?!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

computeraddict wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:27 pm
Given water pumps can be landfilled over after placement, can I make a small request that they be placeable on landfill directly without removing the landfill first?

Great stuff tho.
They might just remove ground water pumps and prevent landfilling where pumps are instead, just like how they prevent landfill from being mined if you stand on it.

Shuisman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shuisman »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:46 pm
Shuisman wrote:
I thought it would 'saturate', aah well… then there is no tricks one can do… thanks!

Dragomina
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dragomina »

Oh I love that! No more trial and error with landfill placement just to squeeze one more roboport onto the shore.

I also would love a way to revive/replant trees. The former lovely forests in between parts of my factory have become quite depressing to look at. I would also like some kind of air-filtering machine. Doesn't have to be super powerful but would be nice to have...

daemonworks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by daemonworks »

the angry ghost icon is the best. :)

Miroro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Miroro »

Hi all,
I still don't see a clear information if water can be spawned (with pump installment) basically anywhere or just in the places, that were landfilled before.
Any coments on that from devs much appreciated.

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by computeraddict »

Miroro wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:04 pm
Hi all,
I still don't see a clear information if water can be spawned (with pump installment) basically anywhere or just in the places, that were landfilled before.
Any coments on that from devs much appreciated.
This only removes landfill from water, it doesn't create water.
Qon wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:28 pm
computeraddict wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:27 pm

Great stuff tho.
They might just remove ground water pumps and prevent landfilling where pumps are instead, just like how they prevent landfill from being mined if you stand on it.
I'd be OK with that too.

laethos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by laethos »

Absolutely love this.

Please, please let there be a toggle for this to be the default build mode. I’m older and can have trouble using multiple meta keys without pain.

Plus I love the flow state that could happen by being able to build and replace mistakes as you go. You can always undo a mistake quickly.

ThePiachu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThePiachu »

Can we get those kinds of updates into the game now rather than have to wait for the DLC?

laethos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by laethos »

ThePiachu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:33 pm
Can we get those kinds of updates into the game now rather than have to wait for the DLC?
It's challenging to isolate code changes that affect the fundamentals of how the game works. If they start trying to port some of these changes, they will have to slow down DLC development, fixing bugs that show up in 1.x because of the updates, and likely having to refactor DLC changes because the base is changing underneath it. When programming it's a lot easier to build enhancements on top of a stable base.

Also putting these changes in the DLC makes good business sense - it makes the upgrade more worthwhile to pay for.

ThePiachu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThePiachu »

laethos wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:22 pm
Also putting these changes in the DLC makes good business sense - it makes the upgrade more worthwhile to pay for.
I think some of the upgrades explained in FFF are coming to the base game when the DLC releases, so you might not be paying for things like this FFF, or Smater Bots or the like...

danielk_98
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by danielk_98 »

laethos wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:25 pm
Absolutely love this.

Please, please let there be a toggle for this to be the default build mode. I’m older and can have trouble using multiple meta keys without pain.

Plus I love the flow state that could happen by being able to build and replace mistakes as you go. You can always undo a mistake quickly.
I was thinking the exact same thing, but then I realized we can just change the keybindings so super-force overrides normal-force. That's what I'll be doing anyway.

mcmase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcmase »

laethos wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:22 pm
ThePiachu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:33 pm
Anything that changes a fundamental system will be included free in V2.0. DLC will be for strictly new content, centered around space exploration, new planets, recipes, etc. Not that I have a complete list of what falls in each category, just that was my general understanding. I believe super force build would fall under free V2.0 content...

crystalcallie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by crystalcallie »

CptnPenguin wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:40 pm
About the first animation: I thought you couldn't have "holes" in your space-platform, as is shown in the animation?
That's not a hole, technically. The top edge doesn't connect with the section above it, so it's more like a weirdly-shaped hook outwards from the platform. The only thing that's prevented is gaps where all four sides are fully walled-up.

Return to “News”