Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Post by Qon »

Somtuk wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:17 pm
Tricorius wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:15 pm
Somtuk wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:09 pm
The "super-force" feature looks amazing!

My only concern was at the very end where you were able to force down pumps. It kind of trivializes having to plan your build are where water is/isn't. No more needing to this "I need to put this near water" since if you need water, you just make it.
I expect it won’t create water where there wasn’t originally any. Only punch back down through landfilled water.
That's something I didn't consider. The animation made it seem like making water wherever you want. I was ready with a whole argument about how water is a resource and this would be spawning in resources for free. :)

I hope you're right.
He is right. It isn't waterfilling. It's forcing the deconstruction of landfill, the features introduced earlier in the post now combined.

kirkbauer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kirkbauer »

So will there be three modes? Normal, force, and super force? Because sometimes I do want to build over rocks and trees but NOT other entities.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Just wow !
I'm even more hyped by the fixing of all those small annoyances than the new content.
The new gameplay promises to be so much smoother :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

(Vanilla) mineable landfill, finally :D

Tohim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tohim »

On the topic of massive building system improvements such as these, I must once again humbly ask: Could the functionality of that of Construction Planner (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ConstructionPlanner) be brought to the base game as well, perhaps?
As long as it's not too much to ask... :)

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Players: It would be really great if...

Wube: Well, now that you mention it... Implemented in 2.0

Players: Wow, this can't possibly get any better.

Wube: Hold my beer...

Players: That is amazing! Nothing can top this!

Wube: See you next Friday...
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

You are just making me overexcited!

Sadly now I just can't do any YouTube content for Factorio as so much is just going to be obsolete especially with rail changes...
So the waiting mode is ON. Too bad it's gonna take too long.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

You guys are REALLY delivering - So far, I would have happily payed between 5-10 bucks per friday facts feature presented (if available as micro-DLCs) I hope you will charge at least the original 30 bucks for the addon, its so well deserved … I can‘t wait to spend another 5000+ hours into a game of this excellence … instead of wasting my time with some AAA stuff, that lets the braincells die ^^

You guys are just awesome!

macfreek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by macfreek »

FAN-TAS-TIC!

Now if you add an option to replant trees, I'm fully satisfied.

I know, in this game, trees are (almost) useless. But when I first played it, it felt really wrong destroying all these trees. And if -back than- I knew of an option to replant them, I would be less hesitant.

I always felt the same with landflls ("but what if I need that water later?"). Totally absurd thoughts, but this really sets my mind at peace and I am looking forward to replaying the game once the DLC is out. Love reading the updates.

geggabyte
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by geggabyte »

I was so frustrated with all the removing of things to build over, even with bots. Other guys already said all the good stuff. I can only add, thank you! Can't wait to try it out.

XT-248
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

I am thrilled about the Super Force building feature, and there are a few minor grips I have with it.

I prefer to use the longest distance between underground belt sections instead of the bare minimum, but that is something I can work with.

As for the animation of space platform construction, it feels even less Factorio if that was somehow possible. It reminds me too much of a semi-technological version of Zerg Creep or something similar instead of an animation that feels like it belongs in 'Factorio.'

Does that make sense?

PFQNiet
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PFQNiet »

Awesome news!

How flexible is the auto-landfill part of the super force build mode with regard to modding? Is "landfill" going to be hard-coded similar to the "copper-wire", "red-wire" and "green-wire" items, or is it using some property of the tile prototype to select a tile to build there? For mods that provide several types/colours of landfill, which one is chosen? If a waterfill mod is installed, would super force building of offshore pumps be able to place waterfill tiles?

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

I quite don't like that you can just mine landfill and make water barriers even easier. It breaks biters extremely much and makes fighting part of the game a bit of a joke.

Can we make it that undoing landfill doesn't return the original water but shallow water instead? That way it makes better sense, and it stays walkable so biters don't have problems.

And while we are at it, make it that biters can cross 2 tile gaps same way spiders do, after all they have long legs, please? Give them some advantages again.

V0ID
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by V0ID »

macfreek wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:12 pm

I know, in this game, trees are (almost) useless. But when I first played it, it felt really wrong destroying all these trees. And if -back than- I knew of an option to replant them, I would be less hesitant.
I recently started playing with basically immortal trees with below normal tree coverage. This was nice because trees felt really beneficial and beautiful, so I tried to kill as few as possible. I would also love for some (expensive?) ability to plant trees to exist

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Hanakocz wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:20 pm
I quite don't like that you can just mine landfill and make water barriers even easier. It breaks biters extremely much and makes fighting part of the game a bit of a joke.
The lakes are already natural impenetrable barriers. With permanent landfill, they are a perfect barrier, you can just no landfill where you want the water. Undo doesn't make the player stronger, it just makes the game better. Even before landfill, they are a perfect barrier so landfill barely related to this at all really.

The only part that would benefit is an artificial island with mods for automatic landfill deconstruction to allow trains to enter. Which would require a lot of extra logic, would give you far too little space and not protect your mines. It doesn't make sense at all. And the natives are supposed to be a joke at one point anyways.

CptnPenguin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CptnPenguin »

About the first animation: I thought you couldn't have "holes" in your space-platform, as is shown in the animation?

ChefOfRamen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ChefOfRamen »

Automatic landfill should be in the regular force-building. But other than that, this is a really good feature.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I like all of it, but maybe put it behind something, e.g. research, or any other thing you have to do, maybe build a super computer or something...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

nuhll wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:10 pm
I like all of it, but maybe put it behind something, e.g. research, or any other thing you have to do, maybe build a super computer or something...
A super computer so you can dig dirt that you threw in a lake? Or for the other QOL change, to send deconstruction order and construction order in one UI interaction?

*facepalm*

Return to “News”