Friday Facts #382 - Logistic groups

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #382 - Logistic groups

Post by FactorioBot »

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #382 - Logistic groups

Post by SnowZyDe »

Good

Neutronium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Neutronium »

Logi groups are very powerful when you're doing many inventory-heavy tasks that require different item sets. Very cool FFF!

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

With one cargo landing pad per planet, can it become a bottle neck in mega bases?

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Great news!

However, after reading, I have a question -- since you adding a weight system to every item in the game, will it also affect Cargo Wagon weight? In other words, will the train carrying iron gears (each stacking to 100 and costing 2 iron, or 4x stacks of iron ore) be slower than the iron ore train?

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Presumably different planets have different gravity. With that, items would have different weights. Do the item weights change on different planets? Is the rocket capacity still 1000kgs everywhere?

Galapagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Galapagon »

Great stuff, but again I'd like to ask, has your play testing included multiplayer qol checks?
Everything thus far has been great changes, but feels like it will be even harder to play with your friends, see what your friends are working on and in rare cases, moderate griefers!

CureSafaia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CureSafaia »

It's getting hard for me to want to play Factorio without those QOL updates.
This game is awesome

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Galapagon wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:21 am
Great stuff, but again I'd like to ask, has your play testing included multiplayer qol checks?
Everything thus far has been great changes, but feels like it will be even harder to play with your friends, see what your friends are working on and in rare cases, moderate griefers!
Hello, we did several offic-multiplayer runs, so multiplayer is pretty stable. Also, the expansion works quite nicely in multiplayer in my eyes, because there are even more roles to divide. (aka, you go to this planet, he goes to that planet, etc)

kaistian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kaistian »

The Borg Cube is alive.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

i can fit rocket silo in my pocket, i can fit rocket silo in vagon, but rocket is too weak to carry rocket silo :mrgreen:

but i get it, neither me or train is doing liftoff (inb4 galaxy express), and fuel consumption would be high to get that into orbit.

MatHack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MatHack »

Great stuff, two questions arose:

1. The rocket recipe changes are only when you play with the expansion enabled I take it, or are RCU not used for the vanilla rocket as well in 2.0?
2. Can you set filters for the slots in the rocket?
Dev by day, gamer by night

Tooster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tooster »

Hmm, I find the weight limit quite weird, considering that a player character can carry a bunch of locomotives, reactors, several stacks of ore and a tank in his pockets. Logistic bot carrying a reactor and placing it just like that xD. Also seems like shoehorning a whole weight system just for a single purpose — to limit throughput of rockets — is a pretty off decision. It will be the only place where rules are different from the already known ones and they will feel inconsistent. For me it's a rater forced take on realism in a bad place. Instead maybe you could consider simply disallow certain items from getting transported based on some tag. Only ingredients could be put in a cargo and the machines would have to be constructed in the destination place, or something like that (i.e. can't transport a reactor, a silo, a train, and can't really request them in the silo either). I'm not saying to only allow intermediate products, but only allow *certain* products from each category. This would create more opportunities for solving problems like "how do I build a reactor in space" instead of simply transporting it.

Someone above also raised a good question — what about planets with different gravity? The weight limit should be increased for them realistically speaking, right?

As for logistic groups: I like it. I would like to see maybe ability to control them with circuits as well (enable, disable etc depending on how they work). Doesn't it however basically allow wireless circuits everywhere on the map?
"Trash unrequested" feature — I love it.

There is one more thing I really miss when it comes to logistic networks — channels, so that we can split them into possibly overlapping subnetworks (one entity could belong to many channels).
Last edited by Tooster on Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Look mom, I made a mod ^^ Barrel Stages

IForgotMyName
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IForgotMyName »

Now I understand why the Space Platform Hub needs this white spherical thing

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

And here I hoped that we will be able to split roboport networks into groups........ :(

Galapagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Galapagon »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:24 am
Galapagon wrote:
Hello, we did several offic-multiplayer runs, so multiplayer is pretty stable. Also, the expansion works quite nicely in multiplayer in my eyes, because there are even more roles to divide. (aka, you go to this planet, he goes to that planet, etc)
I appreciate your response, but I'm still very concerned that much of the multiplayer aspect will be even more isolated with the remote view changes. It already seems like everyone is just standing around not doing anything late game, because we're doing everything remotely with bots.

I feel like we'll have to ask constantly what someone is working on if we want to help or divide roles.
Could at least a remote view indicator on the map be possible? The the map would at least show me what someone was looking at. I think the better option would be a switch to different player view though.

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:24 am
Galapagon wrote:
I just hope that we have good access to restrict players a bit, as on public servers, all the remote free editing just is griefing nightmare....or even if doing pvp/teams, we should have some control over what surfaces players can access and interact with and all that.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Trash unrequested: I like this!

One question: What happens to blueprints and blueprint books? Do I need to request them too, to avoid them getting trashed by trash-unrequested?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Kyralessa wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:48 am
What happens to blueprints and blueprint books? Do I need to request them too, to avoid them getting trashed by trash-unrequested?
Normally, blueprints are supposted to be in the blueprint library. At this moment, blueprints are trashed as well, but we are planning to change it as it is quite annoying anyway, so blueprints-like items would be ignored by the trash-unrequested feature.

IForgotMyName
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IForgotMyName »

The weight system raises some questions:

1) Does this system apply to liquids?

2) Chemical plants emit smoke, that is, a small part of the ingredients “evaporates”. Doesn't this mean that the weight of the final product of the plant will be less than the total weight of its ingredients?

3) Will weight be automatically calculated for mod items?

4) If it is possible to calculate the weight of mod items based on their recipes, how will the algorithm behave if there are alternative recipes?

5) How will the algorithm behave with unusual recipes such as advanced oil refining or uranium refining?

Return to “News”