Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Locane
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Post by Locane »

This is fantastic - QOL and visual updates like this are what I crave!

I am especially excited about being able to mail-order modules in to machines.

The tint indicator for whether a blueprint entity will be filled or not is RIGHT on, god, thank you!

The one thing I will say is that in screenshot of all-unfulfilled or all-filled blueprint entities you won't necessarily be able to tell which is which - if there was some way to draw a small timer in the bottom right of the entity for estimated Time To Build, that would be amazing!

Or if not that, at least make it available for modders?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

XelSelenius wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:15 am
how will the existing mods work in the new base version??
For example, if I have a space exploration map in which I've spent 100 hours, how likely is it that the 2.0 update would break my mods?
SE is set to be compatible with the major releases 0.17 to 1.1, so if you'd update to 2.0 tomorrow your SE install would not work until it gets updated to be compatible with 2.0. Nothing forces you to update to 2.0 though, you could just stay on 1.1 until you are ready.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

deer_buster wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:26 pm
Can we get the ability to upgrade via blueprint? (e.g. One blueprint has yellow belts, assembler 1, interters....upgrade blueprint has red/2/fast). And I mean using regular blueprints, not the upgrade planner...which isn't a blueprint
Suggestion topic

kajacx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kajacx »

Awesome, this is going to be even better than the satellite view in Space Exploration, I'm really impressed. One last thing to address is copying modules. In the screenshot, there are several machines doing the same thing and the video only changes modules in one of them, and in reality you want to change modules in all of them. Yes, there are mods for that, but copying modules is something that should be in vanilla, just like copying recipes is.

ExMachina
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ExMachina »

I use mod Reach Anywhere to simplify things in base game.

It does get to a point however where I'm left wondering "Why is there a guy running around?"... sometimes I feel as though the man is just a speed-trap to make sure we don't go too fast.

IDEA: Instead of having "remote control anything" or "reach anywhere"... for other planets, there could be a way to "Clone" the player.
That means, the player can leave a clone of self on the other planet... or send a clone to the other planet.
Then add feature to allow switching between main-character/clones to control.

Maybe the clones could be cyborgs.
The clone could have a lifespan before needing to be replaced.

Altainia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Altainia »

So what happens with electric power pole placements and ghosts? Presently, you get a preview of the coverage of a power pole via a blue-filled border. But if the ghosts are also blue, it might be difficult to see the power pole coverage amidst other things, especially with tiles.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

ExMachina wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:49 pm
IDEA: Instead of having "remote control anything" or "reach anywhere"... for other planets, there could be a way to "Clone" the player.
That means, the player can leave a clone of self on the other planet... or send a clone to the other planet.
Then add feature to allow switching between main-character/clones to control.
Seems to be similar to what the Avatars mod does.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

melind
Inserter
Inserter

Post by melind »

-scv- wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:46 pm
777.png
changes in the duration of day and night and the power of panels for planets
That still doesn't help since I it seems unlikely the ratio of day/night would change. All you would have to pay attention to is if the day/night cycle becomes too long you will need extra accumulators to hold the necessary charge overnight.

Like I said before, solar panels never turn off when there is daylight, in fact they stay on even if they produce excess power and all other on-demand power sources aren't needed (eg, boilers, accumulators). So it just doesn't make any sense to show if they are on or not.

Slywyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Slywyn »

SteelWolf300 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:17 am
Really cool changes, the part where you can open and configure ghosts blew my mind! I used to place real entities, configure them, then copy them to get pre-configured ghosts, I will not need a physical copy of the building in my inventory with this new feature!

You can place ghost spidertrons, but can you copy/blueprint them? Having a blueprint book with several spidertrons configurations would be fantastic.
I make 'groups' of Spidertrons for different things(clearing trees/rocks, placing landfill, being my 'builder buddies', laying solar because it seems less TPS intensive than using bots), and being able to copy/blueprint the various configs would be AWESOME. Especially as you update your spidertron builds for changing/various needs. Would save me so much trouble with refitting or changing configs or just expanding the groups.

Upserter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Upserter »

PhasmaNL wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:14 am
Illiou wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:41 am
PhasmaNL wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:32 pm

Sorry... :o
At first I was like "Wait, it can read THAT?". But then I realized that the entries don't even match the length of the blurred bits, so it just read the "Space map" headline and hallucinated fitting names. Classic large language model :lol:
LOL. You are correct! :) I didn't look that carefully.

Tools like this exist:

https://github.com/bishopfox/unredacter

But I wouldn’t put it past the devs to be aware of this and for the hidden text to be a misdirection :D

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

I like how they just casually drop this in "Ghosts entities on ghost tiles"

The one thing I was hoping to see was deconstructing blueprint pasting This was a huge request, where bots would remove what was already present and replace it with new stuff. They already do this with trees, rocks, cliffs..
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vulkandrache »

I dont quite understand some of these arguments.
The character is easily the least interesting thing in this game.
Anything that lessens the dependency on the chars physical location is welcome.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Vulkandrache wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:00 pm
I dont quite understand some of these arguments.
The character is easily the least interesting thing in this game.
Anything that lessens the dependency on the chars physical location is welcome.
Well, there is a separate game mode for those that don't like/want the character that, aside from some opening cheat questions you can decline, is identical to normal play minus the character. ;)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

nekku
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by nekku »

FactorioBot wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:00 am
Here it is! (beep boop)

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-380
Is there a chance that you could introduce some kind of a summary below or above FFF:
  • This is what we're updating current version with.
  • This is what we've reserved for the upcoming 2.0 aka Space Exploration.
It actually does raise some confusion. Things like robot behaviour updates seem to have been applied to the current version, while rails are so far away in the future.
For this one, for example, did I get it right, that current version got the update of remote access to chests/machines? Am I able to swap the splitter as on a gif?
Kinda can? Clearly, ghosts is smth reserved? Or is it?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

nekku wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:19 am
Things like robot behaviour updates seem to have been applied to the current version
They have not though.
nekku wrote:
did I get it right, that current version got the update of remote access to chests/machines?
No.
nekku wrote:
Am I able to swap the splitter as on a gif?
No.

The FFF starts with:
Hello,
we would like to talk about the remote view changes coming in the 2.0 base game update.
Could not be any clearer imo.

myridium
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by myridium »

ScottyWired wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:22 am
myridium wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:51 pm
Even if you have the logistic robot tech already, the 'instant rotate' will remove the feeling of being 'cut off' from a remote part of the factory, needing to travel there personally if you failed to set up enough logistic robot infrastructure. Or, even if you do have the infrastructure there, the feeling of latency in your actions is an inherent and expected part of being remote. I would find the instant rotate quite jarring, and if the rotation can be instant but nothing else is, it would feel to me like the remote interactions are not an organic part of play but an artificial gameplay construct. In other words, it would break my immersion.
An option during worldgen could be "instant rotation" or "mark for rotation".

I'd also like to see options for ghost colours.
More options is not usually the right choice.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

nekku wrote:
FactorioBot wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:00 am
Here it is! (beep boop)

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-380
Is there a chance that you could introduce some kind of a summary below or above FFF:
  • This is what we're updating current version with.
  • This is what we've reserved for the upcoming 2.0 aka Space Exploration.
It actually does raise some confusion. Things like robot behaviour updates seem to have been applied to the current version, while rails are so far away in the future.
For this one, for example, did I get it right, that current version got the update of remote access to chests/machines? Am I able to swap the splitter as on a gif?
Kinda can? Clearly, ghosts is smth reserved? Or is it?
All of the FFFs since 372, and most likely all to come in the foreseeable future until release, have been about 2.0 & the Expansion. Nothing of what they've mentioned since has been implemented into the current playable by us version of the game (with the minor exception that research queue On has been enabled by default, though my impression from their earlier FFF on it was that it'd become the only mode in 2.0).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

poustek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by poustek »

CAMERA HOTKEYS

Thanks for news, looks great and theres one thing im missing in vanilla. Thats camera hotkeys. In SE theres option to pin location, its super super super usefull. Wondering how the new vulkan block setup is doing? Just press ctrl+2 (i.e.) It would be really great if this could be added to base and expanded upon.

I mean in SE the pin doesnt remember your zoom level. Would be great if it did. And then as a Starcraft player it would be just great if there was a possibility to make a pin on moving object (ie. train, spidertron). When you make your artillery train I would love to just pres ctrl+4 (or something) and just be there, looking at my real estate agent buying me a new land. For spidertrons this would be even more usefull, as i use them as late game border patrols. And its just annoying to look for them on a map. (its ok when theres one, but in lg i use at least 5 squads).

For spidertron would be great if it could be working like in RTS. You just double click hotkey and you have a zoom on him and also controler in hand. But this is propably really hard to implement as i would work completely different than other things in inventory. But then, left click double click (or by hotkey) just take it into your hand and just put it back. Maybe some delay check could be added for spidertron, so if you double click in between 50ms, you got RTS function and when more you just put it back into your inv.

Well thats all i wanted to say.

Díky mějte se
Thanks, best regards

dirtyharis83
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dirtyharis83 »

So far 5 reworks of stuff and 1 content addition (quality).
I'll just point out the obvious Oxygen not included "expansion" failure did the same thing.

The expansion should be CONTENT, not a different way to get what we already have in the base game.
Quality looks AMAZING, it will add countless hours to get epics, legendary etc.

Why can't we have new buildings, new weapons, new enemies, new materials to mine, new technologies, new recipes...?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

dirtyharis83 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:17 am
So far 5 reworks of stuff and 1 content addition (quality).
I'll just point out the obvious Oxygen not included "expansion" failure did the same thing.

The expansion should be CONTENT, not a different way to get what we already have in the base game.
Quality looks AMAZING, it will add countless hours to get epics, legendary etc.

Why can't we have new buildings, new weapons, new enemies, new materials to mine, new technologies, new recipes...?
Did you miss the space platform ?
And the new planets ?
And the new ore on the screenshot of this FFF ?
And the new antenna-looking building ?
Bridges/elevated rails ?

to answer you question : there is no reason ; we are getting new content :)

Return to “News”