Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Post by FactorioBot »

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Right on time!

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SnowZyDe »

Hello my beloved developers.
What you do is great, but there is a small BUT.
The new ghost effect is simply terrible. Your eyes get very tired looking at ghosts.
The old ghosts were great, maybe they should have been made a little less transparent.
Last edited by SnowZyDe on Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Shut up and take my money! Where can I buy it?!?!?

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

How I have missed the FFF !!!! Cool stuph.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

yottabufer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yottabufer »

I'm writing to you through a translator, so I'm sorry:
Here you write about muscle memory and about several options for moving from planet to planet Earth that you have come up with and implemented
And then why not take advantage of the possibilities of space exploration?
The same satellite with the letter "N" and viewing planets with the letter "U". Despite the fact that this is a mod, it is very convenient to view planets through tags and satellite.
I always walk around the planets like this:
N (satellite view), and then a keyboard shortcut for the labels I created - and there I already select the label / planet I need, and it turns out just two actions

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Is the name a satire of the fake / stupid / psychic power "remote viewing" or is this a coincidence?

Elocutiona
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elocutiona »

The visual feedback for a robot being on the way is completely unnecessary, and yet, it's gonna make blueprinting a whole lot more satisfying, like how waiting at a stop light is much less of a drag with a countdown. Nice!

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I love how the pipes now join correctly when blueprinted!

Sliverious
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sliverious »

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I really like the functional changes this week, these tweaks will really make the difference in smoothing out the game.
The visual changes I am less excited about, I never experienced any problems with ghosts. Will the shader effect be a setting? I really missed that with the map blurring visual effect and would rather not just mod out these features if it could be a setting instead.

Galapagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Galapagon »

I love these changes, definitely the right direction for the game overall but I have one concern.
Griefers.
I know it's not very common in Factorio, but it does happen and I'm afraid these new changes will make their damage much more difficult to me detect.

In 1.1 the limitations of remote building means that my admins can still generally keep an eye on these players and they still are generally moving around the map to cause filter, recipe, exc. damage.

Perhaps a way to view what another player is looking at could be helpful so that we can still keep tabs on new players joining multiplayer maps?
This could have a more broad impact of being able to work with your friends, or understand what they're looking at if they're struggling with something as a new player.
If you're like me, you might even be willing to leave your camera on someone else just to keep the game active while working in a different window.

The alternative suggestion would be new permissions to adjust what new players can do with remote view. This might be told to have anyway, but would be frustrating for the vast majority of players who only want to have fun.
This would also unfortunately leave griefers in "stealth mode" causing damage undetected.
Also exacerbating something we already see in late game - just standing around. Sure, our fellow engineers are hard at work with remote view, but it's hard to have late game cooperative engagement when no one is moving their characters.

Silden
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Silden »

One problem I saw with this new feature is that it was hurting my eyes a little, especially the last picture (titled One more thing), will there be an accessibility option to either dampen or remove the flickering effect?

Oh, and before someone decides on yet another "give it a chance" or similar response, please respect that some people are disabled and not built the same way as you, and have to live their life with the hand they've been dealt with regardless of whether that is a mobility, cognitive or metal impairment. Unfortunately accessibility isn't always considered in the design stage, and sometimes only as an afterthought, and so this post is there as a reminder there is a small number of people that sees this effect as exclusionary rather than inclusionary. When someone highlights a disability and hears a "give it a chance" comment, I do wonder if they look at a person in a wheelchair and tell them to give the stairs a chance!
Last edited by Silden on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ILLISIS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ILLISIS »

the ghosts will change tint when they have been assigned a robot to construct them

Please make this available to the API !

Event + rw flag would be great!

svalorzen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by svalorzen »

The new ghosts are really really great, and I really love the shimmering effect! Really helps sell the hologram "not truly here yet" feeling.

I wonder if the tint for "accepted job" ghosts could be different instead of simply lighter; I have to admit that unless the same patch had both "accepted" and "waiting" ghosts I'm not sure I'd be able to tell which one was which. Maybe tinting "accepted" ghosts blue-greenish would help visually distinguish them more?

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

I loved everything about this FFF. Factorio is going to feel so different moving from 1.1 to 2.0 (in a good way).

Axios
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Axios »

The remote view improvements are very interesting!

Anyway, a detail catched my attention: "Day night cycle, gravity, magnetic field, pressure, solar power in atmosphere". We can expect different values on different planets or it is for modders only?

Thanks in advance for replies.

IForgotMyName
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IForgotMyName »

BTW, in this FFF we saw how new rails are visualized on the map
Now it will be easier for me to plan the railway before the release of version 2.0 and expansion (yeah i'm madman)

orbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by orbit »

These are crazy improvements of normal gameplay. Cannot wait to try it.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The only thing I dislike about the recent FF, is how long I still need to wait before I can play with all the new cool stuff.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

It's again a win-win-win FF. Everything about it sounds great!
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “News”