Friday Facts #379 - Abstract rewiring

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #379 - Abstract rewiring

Post by Qon »

gGeorg wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:54 am
3. ghost wiring bring nice new feature you forgot to mention, complicated defence wall ( laser wall with auto-switch off capability ) can be fixed ( restored from rubble) only by robots. :idea:
This was already possible in 2019, before blueprints saved wire connections.
gGeorg wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:54 am
2. Also please make another level of abstraction, allow combinators put into a "merge box" lets say integrated_circuit with 4 inputs and 4 outputs wires connectors. So it take small amount of space and smaller amount of energy.
I do want something like this.

Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taneeda »

Paying attention to the tiny little details? YES, details matter, love it :)
Shit happens, don't worry, keep happy

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

I want the belt immunity equipment to be an "abstract item" that just appears as a button toggle when you put on power armor. I've been annoyed since its introduction that it's the only item other than portable solar panels that takes up a 1x1 slot in a grid. Also it's the kind of thing that would be nice to toggle in certain situations, like the exoskeletons.
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

Belter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Belter »

Zaflis wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:34 pm
Belter wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm
So mod Power Grid Comb to stay, hope it won't be broken due to these internal changes.
You cannot break something that is already broken :P I had to uninstall Power Grid Comb after unfortunately seeing it's really not tidying up my powerpoles as i expected.
For me it does the job - consistency. You might ask the author on the mod's forum entry to see if still active - last update 2yrs ago.

Sir Realism
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sir Realism »

Néomorphos wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:49 am
I am a bit puzzled by the 2 types of copper wires. Wouldn't it be better if you clearly split the 2 items? Introducing a different icon for the wire in the toolbar, so that there is no confusion possible with the copper wire item in recipes and on the bus
I agree with this one. Now that they are two pretty much unrelated items / functions, they should have different icons. Real overhead electricity cables tend to be black plastic or grey aluminium, but that might blend into the background too much or look like shadows. Yellow perhaps?
kajacx wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:42 pm
Yes finally the devs are addressing this. Please don't stop with the wire connections. You cannot change assembler recipe from map, but you can place one down, set the recipe and then copy-paste it. It's really dumb.

Also changing spliter options or combinator logic or anything else that can be copy-pasted should be doable from the map via a gui.
I'm also on board with this, the "can do it in map mode but only by creating a blueprint" thing feels a bit odd. I do think that changing wires, changing combinators, changing recipes directly from the map doesn't quite feel right either. I think it would be nice if they didn't consume material but still needed a construction robot to visit.

Ohead
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ohead »

I believe the remaining shadow issue is that overlapping shadows recursively darken the graphics behind them, when realistically there should only be one darker shade. You can't block more sunlight when it has all already been blocked!

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

Belter wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:51 pm
Zaflis wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:34 pm
Belter wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm
So mod Power Grid Comb to stay, hope it won't be broken due to these internal changes.
You cannot break something that is already broken :P I had to uninstall Power Grid Comb after unfortunately seeing it's really not tidying up my powerpoles as i expected.
For me it does the job - consistency. You might ask the author on the mod's forum entry to see if still active - last update 2yrs ago.
For me it works perfectly. You have to remember there are two different modes. Shift+while holding forces absolute while normal is best connection. Use it in combination for a rigid interior framework with perhaps exterior connection flexibility.

A good reminder that some tools (vanilla and mod) have alt actions while right+click dragging tool, shift dragging tool etc. My favorites are the right click drag+upgrade planner which inverts the upgrade action, and shift+deconstruction planner which cancels the deconstruction for the selected areas.

carsan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by carsan »

Being a programmer myself, I can relate to all the complexity that lies below things that seem "simple" on the surface.

In addition to that, reading through all the details of this makes me reflect that in real life, nature performs all these calculations by itself perfectly, in real time, with zero cost or lag.

I cannot wait to spend my money in this beautifully crafted product. Keep up the good work fellas!

Chrisdasdasd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chrisdasdasd »

How about making it 1 button to avoid clutter?
  • left-click to connect poles
  • right-click to switch to different colour
And if you do a lot of switching, just like in case of BPs,
an option of assigning specific version to your 1-9 hotbar.

Mango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mango »

The wire and shadow changes are great. I really appreciate the attention to details like this.

My pick to the quiz would be either overlaping shadows being darker or shadows being drawn over buildings being straight as if the building was flat.

I was actually hoping for more changes in the case of abstract items. I find it very confusing, that I can open blueprints, click on one and actually move it to my inventory (while actually removing it from blueprint interface) and then put it somewhere else or throw in on ground.

I don't get why the abstract items have to interact with inventories at all.

I would much rather have them only existing in hands when used and never delete them unless specifically selecting the delete button in an opened blueprint.
This would also nicely work for wires, discharge and artilery remote - you select what you want to use and just use it.

The spidertron remote is similar to blueprint because you can have multiple different remotes existing at the same time. It would need special menu like the blueprint one to set/manage remotes but then you also just select which you want to use and just use it.

No more random blueprints or remotes clogging inventories and no blueprint or remote is unintentionally lost.

Maybe there will be something similar explained in next FFF, lets hope ;)
Last edited by Mango on Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hm.... so we have a mystery donor... intriguing.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Not sure if wires should drop shadows. Have you ever seen electric wire shadow in the daytime?

Mango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mango »

coppercoil wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:06 pm
Not sure if wires should drop shadows. Have you ever seen electric wire shadow in the daytime?
Yes - Power poles
Hm.... so we have a mystery donor... intriguing.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Mango wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:13 pm
Yes - Power poles
Good. How about light and smooth shadows?

KeithFromCanada
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KeithFromCanada »

I'm glad that y'all are working hard to improve the game, but I'm convinced that y'all are *STILL* going down the wrong path when it comes to power and data. My thoughts:
The Problem
  1. Using red & green wires was a useful hack in the beginning, but trying to use them in a complicated circuit can damage your sanity because of how difficult it is to place & trace them. (Yes, hovering over an entity and having the connected wires & entities highlighted would be helpful, but still wouldn't deal with the real problem.)
  2. Using more than two nets requires Rube-Goldberg-level shenanigans at both input and output ends. Not fun and (eventually) hits your UPS.
My Solution
  1. Ditch the primitive wiring and go modern: use WiFi. (Could be a tech that needs to be researched.) Use the roboport code and define each power pole as having separate power and WiFi ranges. Each entity within WiFi range has an automatic data connection without needing to worry about connecting wires.
  2. Add a 'router' entity to create separate data nets, just as power switches can separate power nets. (Each net can separately be shared through the router or not.)
  3. Add fully named virtual signals, as is done for train stations/etc., instead of just using a single icon. For example, instead of just

Code: Select all

[item=iron_ore]
    --which could mean anything involving iron ore, players could use

[item=iron-ore] Mine 03 Total
    , which tells you exactlywhat the signal actually used for, instead of having to guess.
  4. Use the solution that others have come up with (like TSM) and allow players to define separate nets by simply adding a higher-order virtual signal before the main one. For example,

{MineNet05}  {[item=iron-ore] Total}
    would reference a completely different value than

{CircuitFactoryNet02}  {[item=iron-ore] Total}
    , even though the final virtual signal is exactly the same.
  5. (Optional) Going a step farther for mega-mega-bases, add a second (or even third) level of nets.
This should deal with a lot of the issues both y'all and the players are having with circuits, and should improve game efficiency, to boot.

Does that sound reasonable?

Upserter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Upserter »

A trick I learned only recently is to set the output filter on a splitter to the deconstruction planner. This is useful when you only have one side of the splitter output connected up, because it prevents items from passing through to the end of the belt on the unconnected side where they would just sit unused. Any item will work for this, but I like to use the deconstruction planner because it would never clash with an actual production item, and it leaves a nice big red square on the splitter, which to me reads symbolically as “no exit”.

With the deconstruction planner becoming an abstract item, will it still be possible to use it in this way?

Panzerknacker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

Thinking more about it, I really don't like the idea of moving things from the game world to the HUD. It gave items a actual purpose rather than just being a ingredient for recipes. It also makes the interface more cluttered.

Abstraction takes away from the immersion. The game is about having fun in the first place, immersion is for many players a big part of that. Just making things more 'efficient' for some turbo megabase builders is not necessarily an upgrade.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

coppercoil wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:15 pm
Challenge accepted ! :)

KeithFromCanada wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:24 pm
Does that sound reasonable?
Even more than reasonable that sound necessary for a multi-planetary factory :) . I'm not familiar with TSM, what you describe i think is how https://mods.factorio.com/mod/aai-signal-transmission function, except it's not related to roboport but there are receiver and emiter building for wireless signal transmission with different channels.

There is this one too maybe even closer to your description: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/shortwave_fix given the example you choose, and https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RadioNetwork which is a little less "cheaty" maybe ? If there is a mid-game version and Wifi is only late game :)

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

mmmPI wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:51 pm
coppercoil wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:15 pm
Challenge accepted ! :)
No, shadows should lie on the ground :)
With the distance, every shadow becomes blurry because the Sun is not a point light source.

borgiedude
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by borgiedude »

kajacx wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:42 pm
You can not red wire something from the map, but you could take a blueprint of it, wire it locally, then place the blueprint back over the top, and the wires would magically change. Thats just frustrating and annoying.
It's really dumb.

Also changing spliter options or combinator logic or anything else that can be copy-pasted should be doable from the map via a gui.
I don't disagree, but I'm sympathetic that they're may be a lot of code necessary to implement this change. The 'make a local blueprint copy/paste' is a functional workaround for every possible entity arrangement. I'm sure this will be addressed eventually, when higher priority pieces of work have been done.

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

These QOL changes are always my favorite. I never could say why the wires were so weird and hard to see, but it was both the sagging and the weird shadows. So nice seeing it be fixed.

Return to “News”