Friday Facts #377 - New new rails

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Blacky007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #377 - New new rails

Post by Blacky007 »

Attal wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:31 pm
Old rails are fine

Please, add the bridge!
what this game needs are bridge and Tunnel or underground railsystem with a different layer without mods.
that would help a lot.
Greetings
My color birthday was May 2nd 2020 - Thank you Enchroma

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Zaflis wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:10 pm
Xyletic wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:52 pm

For this image, and perhaps a point I missed, will we be able to also signal in-between these gaps now? As much as the image is a dream come true, without signaling, this specific example won't add too much value to the new system unfortunately.
This brings to mind that modders can already place inserters inbetween 2 belts that have no empty space between:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Kux-SlimInserters
So perhaps they can add signals to rails too. It's unless there is some real restriction in place.

thin_inserter.jpg
Sure: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Space-Eff ... il-Signals
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

So many times i wished me that rails can be closer split - thx this we relly need.

Xyletic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xyletic »

Xorimuth wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:29 am
Zaflis wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:10 pm
Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:52 pm

For this image, and perhaps a point I missed, will we be able to also signal in-between these gaps now? As much as the image is a dream come true, without signaling, this specific example won't add too much value to the new system unfortunately.
This brings to mind that modders can already place inserters inbetween 2 belts that have no empty space between:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Kux-SlimInserters
So perhaps they can add signals to rails too. It's unless there is some real restriction in place.

thin_inserter.jpg
Sure: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Space-Eff ... il-Signals
No doubt it's functional, but boy does it look a bit silly having the signal on top of the rail. I personally wouldn't opt in to using this specific mod because I know that would bother me. However, I expect this mod and the interest in having such mods will grow substantially with this coming update if signals aren't already adjusted for this new feature.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

gGeorg wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:40 pm
What about add 2nd level of the map, underground. So we get tunnels ?
And of course, sneaky bugs could dig in to our base.
Fun idea! And the only way to keep them out is with concrete on the ground, a la Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

saturn7 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:48 pm
Did you ever consider removing the restriction that rails needed to be aligned to the 2x2 grid, so blueprints with rails could be moved by a single tile?
Alternate solution: add a checkbox to blueprints to make them snap to the rail grid and set their alignment relative to it.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:47 am
No doubt it's functional, but boy does it look a bit silly having the signal on top of the rail. I personally wouldn't opt in to using this specific mod because I know that would bother me. However, I expect this mod and the interest in having such mods will grow substantially with this coming update if signals aren't already adjusted for this new feature.
Nothing a good artist couldn't fix :D It could become really sleek and functional with a few changes.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Saiph wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:46 pm
You briefly mentioned the problem of manual control when going through complex junctions. How would manual train control be implemented in the final graphic in your post, where one rail splits into five parallel tracks? I think it would be pretty difficult to manually select the correct line from the five options.
You'd have to be driving the train through there slowly, but otherwise it can be done with the current controls. Having the more than 3 split from the same end point, however, you really wouldn't be able to.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

choo chooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:05 am
Saiph wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:46 pm
You briefly mentioned the problem of manual control when going through complex junctions. How would manual train control be implemented in the final graphic in your post, where one rail splits into five parallel tracks? I think it would be pretty difficult to manually select the correct line from the five options.
You'd have to be driving the train through there slowly, but otherwise it can be done with the current controls. Having the more than 3 split from the same end point, however, you really wouldn't be able to.
Not with controls but you can open train UI and Ctrl-click to tell it to drive there in automatic.

Faark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Faark »

I like the changed visual, didn't know i want that!

I'm kinda indifferent about the rest. Was okay with the old system, both with the restriction it had the way they interacted, including with the rest of the game. Especially the latter part i'll just have to try in the new system, though its probably just something we get used to eventually.

As for the turn radius being increased, i think i like it. Always found it silly how huge & fully loaded trains zap around tight corners at crazy speed. Even just switching tracks. Would have loved different turn radii with different speed limits, but understand more options / a procedural system would be lots of work. And am aware of speed limit mods / played with Junk Train. Just found Mini Trains, looks great as well.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

Blacky007 wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:15 am
what this game needs are bridge and Tunnel or underground railsystem with a different layer without mods.
that would help a lot.
Greetings
I agree to this. I would love to have bridges to build rails over water and not have to use landfill.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

Mathematician
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mathematician »

Amazing news!
I've suffered from those rail annoyances many times. It's nice to see them being addressed. New smooth curves look cool.
I, too, would like to see conditional station skipping and concrete pavement visible over railbed, please.
I can hear the hype train coming for me... πŸš‚
Some people say math is useless in life. I say life is useless in math.

FuzzyOne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FuzzyOne »

This update is most certainly on the right track!!

PaszaVonPomiot
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PaszaVonPomiot »

I would say that it's significant improvement and I'm especially happy about the power pole thing.

Synchrose
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Synchrose »

Did you resolve the track selection issue? I have an idea regarding track selection if you are still stuck. The problem I see is that directional controls via A D are quite limited. A solution I saw in a Minecraft mod called Chisel & Bits is a selection wheel around the cursor. Basically a segmented ring around it like a pineapple ring. The user would hold the appropriate command key for selection and then drag their cursor across the preferred selection. I've mocked up a rough example in Illustrator:

Attachments
wheelcontrol.png
wheelcontrol.png (336.36 KiB) Viewed 2051 times

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

May I ask for very large radius rail curves, for aesthetic purposes? They look more natural.

Also, current curves might require significant train slowdown, so large radii would be useful.

And I'd like to have very small radius curves (excl. half diagonals for simplicity), and trains would pass them super slowly.

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

Synchrose wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 am
Did you resolve the track selection issue? I have an idea regarding track selection if you are still stuck. The problem I see is that directional controls via A D are quite limited. A solution I saw in a Minecraft mod called Chisel & Bits is a selection wheel around the cursor. Basically a segmented ring around it like a pineapple ring. The user would hold the appropriate command key for selection and then drag their cursor across the preferred selection. I've mocked up a rough example in Illustrator:

They don't have the selection problem. A rail can still only go in three directions. They only halfed the current curve in length.
Please consider english is not my native language.

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

coppercoil wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 am
May I ask for very large radius rail curves, for aesthetic purposes? They look more natural.

Also, current curves might require significant train slowdown, so large radii would be useful.

And I'd like to have very small radius curves (excl. half diagonals for simplicity), and trains would pass them super slowly.
Both of that is not really possible the way I understand it. They can have a rail segment only go in three directions maximum. Having different radius rails would increase the amount of directions to 5 or 7.
Please consider english is not my native language.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Synchrose wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 am
That's nice, i said earlier that it would make it impossible to tell the game which direction to send the train in such situation but i was wrong the precise wording of the FFF is :
At the moment, every rail can connect to at most 3 directions - left, straight and right. Adding a special rail piece would either make curves incompatible with s-bends - you could only build one, not both on the same spot - which would be a technical limitation, unobvious to the player why.

Or require two more connections (s-bend left, s-bend right) - which would mean that rail performance would suffer because of more options, and also that when you manually drive a train, arrow keys would not be enough to clearly decide where you want to go.
So maybe the devs thought about such system but it is the rail performance that decided against the 1=>5 split at a single point.

Return to β€œNews”