Friday Facts #85 - Sales Stats

Regular reports on Factorio development.
MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #85 - Sales Stats

Post by MF- »

Davey45 wrote:I would have to say that an EPIC new trailer should be made for the steam release .
Why? Because they do so in the AAA industry? Maybe it would be better to be honest,
not going too far from what players could really achieve in the game. I haven't thought this through.

An up-to-date trailer would be needed for the release that appers on steam of course.

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by LittleMikey »

I'm somewhere in that massive spike! I saw Quill18's video and was instantly hooked :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

MF- wrote:
Davey45 wrote:I would have to say that an EPIC new trailer should be made for the steam release .
Why? Because they do so in the AAA industry? Maybe it would be better to be honest,
not going too far from what players could really achieve in the game. I haven't thought this through.

An up-to-date trailer would be needed for the release that appers on steam of course.
You can be totally honest and do a totally awesomely epic trailer. Factorio is the first game I have played to allow achievement of such epic creations.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Can confirm, also came from Trailer and also Gnomoria player (hmm...same target player?).
I also have to state that, i just buy this 2 months ago. So not necessarily a immediate result when the trailer published.
The trailer still my biggest selling point.
But i think you guys should create new trailer when the space platform is release (0.12 ?)
Last edited by waduk on Sat May 09, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaneshi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vaneshi »

Have to admit it was one of Quil18's "Tycoon monthly" video's that told me the game existed but it was watching Hydra Dilema that sold it to me.

ible
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ible »

I was hooked by The Hydra Dilemma

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

I dont know how i found ya, but i am with you since early 0.2 or 0.3... and to tell you, you have come a looong way and doing magnificent work, especially with the multiplayer! Cant wait for each new version, but you should focus on your modding part of the wiki. You saw what the community made out of minecraft! Factorio has great potential... but atm lacks a good and easy entry for modders.

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

Grey wrote:[...]
Cant wait for each new version, but you should focus on your modding part of the wiki. You saw what the community made out of minecraft! Factorio has great potential... but atm lacks a good and easy entry for modders.
I have to disagree here: I tried it myself and it isn't that hard to get going. The fact that you can access the "base-mod" makes it really easy. On the other hand, I'm working as a software developer myself, so that might have made it easier for me ;)

For the wiki part: I think you are right, the info there is pretty sparse, but theres always the possibility to edit it yourself (although I caught myself thinking things like: "meh, I'm too lazy now, I do it later ;)).
If you need help, just ask in the modding forums. Those guys there seem to wait for people who need help :D
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Grey wrote: You saw what the community made out of minecraft! Factorio has great potential... but atm lacks a good and easy entry for modders.
I would like to ask this - maybe it's a stupid question - but without going into the minecraft scene, how can this "You saw what the community made out of minecraft!" be described? Is there a general failure? Are we (this community) is going to make the same? And so on.

I ask, cause my opinion is not so. We do here many things right, but cannot be sure, so this is the reason for my question. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I must admit the modding part is not what thrills me most of the games I like. I prefer a game that's so good that id doesn't need modding to a game that's so flawed/incomplete that it NEEDS mods to be bearable. When I'm talking mods, I especially have in mind the ones that add functionalities the game should have provided first place. I have loved Skyrim, but at the end, I spent my time waiting my regular mods to be updated when the game was. Same thing with TESO, Minecraft. Then I just gave up playing these games, because playing without my mods was unbearable, and had only tiny periods where the game and the mods were all compatible version.

However, the moddability IS important because of additional contents it allows to add, more than a limited dev studio will be able to create in a given time frame (and even beyond).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

FishSandwich wrote:I think the "MP Effect?" label is more likely to have been Zisteau and Arumba's influence.
+1 (And some other youtubers)

Personnally I discovered it from a guy who play also Gnomoria, and was looking for tutorials (the military gui is a nightmare)
The huge GFX polish is an amazing improvement in my opinion, because before it was really ugly. I'm totally immersed (right word?) when I play Factorio thanks by this artist.

Thank you for your awesome job guys !
When I get some money I will upgrade the game to the highest level to support you :)

Wait... SPIDERS?
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Zemerson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zemerson »

OH Noes! I'm pre-location data purchasers :P

Been with you guys since Nov 11, 2013 :D
It's been a great ride, and looking forward to end game content!

zeb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zeb »

I began playing almost exactly a year ago, after having suffered through Sips' Factorio gameplay video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBh3Fn_25OQ )

I almost instantly thought: "Oh good god. I can do better", and was hooked Immediately afterwards! :D

AnarCon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AnarCon »

awesome, charts :D enter geek mode :)
hope steam sales knocks the sale record out of propotions for u guys, u totaly deserve it :)

Vaneshi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vaneshi »

ssilk wrote:
Grey wrote: You saw what the community made out of minecraft! Factorio has great potential... but atm lacks a good and easy entry for modders.
I would like to ask this - maybe it's a stupid question - but without going into the minecraft scene, how can this "You saw what the community made out of minecraft!" be described? Is there a general failure? Are we (this community) is going to make the same? And so on.

I ask, cause my opinion is not so. We do here many things right, but cannot be sure, so this is the reason for my question. :)

To my mind it's actually a fairly complex thing but the long and short of is that Minecraft was geek Lego, it had no end game, no goal beyond quite literally mine and craft. Combine that with Mojang's stance on video monetisation when it came to YouTube (i.e. go, have fun) and very quickly a cottage industry sprang up with a diverse range of content creators doing their thing; from indepth set piece adventures such as Shadow of Israpheal by Yogscast through to one guy going for a walk for charity (KurtJMac's Far Lands or Bust).

IMHO the thing Mojang did wrong (and a lot of Indie devs do) is that they oversold the price going up as development went along, a similar problem to Squad and KSP IMHO (it isn't worth £30) and causes resentment when someone who brought the Alpha talks to someone who just paid double.

XBBX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XBBX »

Big jumps in sales starter when "Zisteau" started playing pactorio Nov 15, 2014 And one more jump when "Xisumavoid" started Dec 8, 2014 I have not read all coments

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

So I assume the rice and water section is describing what you ate? :) Glad you worked through it and are in happier days!

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

I saw Factorio on tv while I was in Australia. A kids program that was about gaming had a Minecraft special where they showed at the end similar games like minecraft and mentioned Factorio and that sparked my interest to look more in to it. played the demo first and later bought it, and really liked it ever since :)

StuffPlus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by StuffPlus »

I started my series in January (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9h13KGQlsQ) and there's a bump in the chart at that point which I would like to think could be attributed to my videos. To this day it was one of my most successful series in terms of views, the first episode alone has 50,000+ views. Either way I'm just glad people are discovering the game all the time.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

StuffPlus wrote:I started my series in January (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9h13KGQlsQ) and there's a bump in the chart at that point which I would like to think could be attributed to my videos. To this day it was one of my most successful series in terms of views, the first episode alone has 50,000+ views. Either way I'm just glad people are discovering the game all the time.
Oh, yeah! I used to watch your series!
I think I found it only after I bought the game, though.

Return to “News”