Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Regular reports on Factorio development.
TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by TheRaph »

Twinsen wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:05 pm
MousE0910 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:39 pm
Is there any reason why you can't supply a premade steam input config for the game? Devs almost never use it but it is possible to do, at least with the Steam Controller (and I assume it will be the same for the Steam Deck) so that people wouldn't need to start from scratch when wanting to play even before controller support is done.
One reasons is that publishing profiles seems to not work right now :)
I am experimenting with having a default official profile, but I'm not sure if it will be good enough, so I don't know yet what the outcome will be.

Even with a default profile, you will still need to understand action sets and layers, and constantly check what maps to what, so you still need some patience and getting used to.
Coud it be part of the wiki? Like "How to set up Steam Deck"?

liron_aramas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by liron_aramas »

Guys, let's hurry up already addition. Why did you say so early about working on a DLC, the anticipation is killing...

epr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by epr »

Looking forward to play the game on steam deck.

P.S. oh, you're taking political stances now. Very disappointing to see. Thought you were better than this.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1196
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by FuryoftheStars »

epr wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:04 pm
P.S. oh, you're taking political stances now. Very disappointing to see. Thought you were better than this.
Edit: Actually, let me just quote an earlier post and leave it at that:
Tertius wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 pm
It's a good link. It links the Red Cross for donations, a non profit organization that is agnostic of politics and exist to help people in need. Homeless, poor, injured, starving, dying people. They are not taking sides, they just help people. A war is as much misfortune as a natural disaster, and you would ask for donations in case of an earthquake in the middle of Europe just as well.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by urza99814 »

Interesting...am I the only one who has *never* used a keyboard/mouse to play Factorio...? I've logged over 4000 hours of this game in Steam, every single one of them played using only the Steam controller, and it's always worked great for me. Is there a reason the Steam Deck is so different or is it just a matter of saving a couple minutes of configuration by having some sane defaults?

Of course, there's a lot more commands available than buttons on that controller...but I haven't even bothered to map all of the buttons I do have! Do you really need two separate rotate buttons? Or hotkeys for every button that appears on screen and can be clicked with the mouse? I think I have 16 or 17 commands mapped (counting the joystick as 4) and that's enough to play the game with no real issues...

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by Bilka »

urza99814 wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:49 pm
Of course, there's a lot more commands available than buttons on that controller...but I haven't even bothered to map all of the buttons I do have! Do you really need two separate rotate buttons? Or hotkeys for every button that appears on screen and can be clicked with the mouse? I think I have 16 or 17 commands mapped (counting the joystick as 4) and that's enough to play the game with no real issues...
Could you share your config?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by urza99814 »

Bilka wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:14 pm
urza99814 wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:49 pm
Of course, there's a lot more commands available than buttons on that controller...but I haven't even bothered to map all of the buttons I do have! Do you really need two separate rotate buttons? Or hotkeys for every button that appears on screen and can be clicked with the mouse? I think I have 16 or 17 commands mapped (counting the joystick as 4) and that's enough to play the game with no real issues...
Could you share your config?
Well, I can tell you what buttons do what, but I've made some changes in the controller config and some changes in the Factorio config so just exporting the Steam config probbaly wouldn't help much...I think it's based on Klonan's though which Steam seems to use by default.

Top left touchpad up/down is zoom (both kinds), right opens the map, left does nothing
Top right touchpad is mouse movement, click does nothing
Joystick is up/down/left/right movement controls, no action on click
Y opens the character screen
X is control (inventory transfers, deconstruction)
B is shift (stack splits, ghost building, copy/paste of settings)
A is unmapped

Right and left triggers are left and right mouse clicks
Right shoulder is shoot (shoot enemy)
Left shoulder is pick up item from ground
Right paddle is rotate; left paddle is unmapped
Start is escape
Select is enter vehicle

User avatar
ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by ptx0 »

epr wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:04 pm
P.S. oh, you're taking political stances now. Very disappointing to see. Thought you were better than this.
when i was a kid and we learnt about world war 2 (maybe you never heard of this) my thoughts were, "why did no one do nothing for so long?", not, "why did we go?"

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2339
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #368 - Steam deck, Ghost bugs, Docs improvements

Post by BlueTemplar »

Koub wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:52 pm
I hope that, in the desire to try and add controller support to Factorio, the GUI/controls won't be more limited, the same way I've seen it happen in the gaming industry (I've seen the controls and GUIs in the games transform themselves over the years to be "console compatible", especially in action and RPG games, which has limited/dumbed down the gameplay possibilities, and made the GUIs suboptimal for the sake of portability).
Fully agree, but note that Steam Controller & Deck aren't your typical gamepads : they both feature two touchpads ! (And the Deck a touchscreen.)

----

Otherwise, nice to see how official support for below average eyesight and/or low-end laptops has been added back, after having been kind of removed with 0.17.0 !
(We *all* have poorer eyesight in our future...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Temporalin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 pm
Contact:

Steam Deck binding

Post by Temporalin »

Hi!

I posted this in the Steam discussion boards and was told that this forum may be a better place to report this. Below is a copy of that post, this is the link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/d ... 511696798/

I hope you find this useful.
Hi! I've noticed that there is an official layout for the Steam Deck. It is pretty good, but there are 2 bindings that aren't working correctly, both of them with the L1 action layer.

The first one is the menu that shows up with the trackpad. The settings include all the number keys (from 1 to 0), but the menu is set up to have 2 buttons, so only 1 and 2 can be used ingame. It should be changed to a 9 or 12 button menu on the menu settings.

The second one is the radial menu for the joystick. For some reason the first button of the radial menu is set up to the center, which I guess works well for the trackpad, but not the joystick (this is just how Valve made it work). The first button should be set to none (or an useless key), and then set the rest of the keys as the numbers.

I could do it myself and publish it, but there being an official layout I think it is best if that one is updated.

Thanks to the devs for providing a layout!

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 am
Contact:

Re: Steam Deck binding

Post by Twinsen »

Temporalin wrote: ↑
Tue May 17, 2022 1:26 pm
Hi!

I posted this in the Steam discussion boards and was told that this forum may be a better place to report this. Below is a copy of that post, this is the link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/d ... 511696798/

I hope you find this useful.
Hi! I've noticed that there is an official layout for the Steam Deck. It is pretty good, but there are 2 bindings that aren't working correctly, both of them with the L1 action layer.

The first one is the menu that shows up with the trackpad. The settings include all the number keys (from 1 to 0), but the menu is set up to have 2 buttons, so only 1 and 2 can be used ingame. It should be changed to a 9 or 12 button menu on the menu settings.

The second one is the radial menu for the joystick. For some reason the first button of the radial menu is set up to the center, which I guess works well for the trackpad, but not the joystick (this is just how Valve made it work). The first button should be set to none (or an useless key), and then set the rest of the keys as the numbers.

I could do it myself and publish it, but there being an official layout I think it is best if that one is updated.

Thanks to the devs for providing a layout!
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I resolved the issues, but I was unable to update the existing binding on Steam. I made a new one and set the default to that, so you might need to force the Steam Deck to refresh the official binding somehow, it will have the description "Recommended layout for Steam Deck v1.1"
This one: steam://controllerconfig/427520/2809690725

Let me know if you have other similar feedback.

Post Reply

Return to β€œNews”