Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Regular reports on Factorio development.
OnisDWA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Post by OnisDWA »

Everyone is happy that you are finally close to the release, and I join them.
But for some reason no one notices that space age was made as a mod, not as a game mode, and replaces the standard sandbox.

I am sad that you abandoned the old sandbox, and I will look for options to return it, preserving the advantages of space age, because nothing is more exciting than seeing your entire huge base as a whole (and not switching between planets)

chexo4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chexo4 »

Something something from the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh

jamaicancastle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jamaicancastle »

OnisDWA wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:26 pm
I am sad that you abandoned the old sandbox, and I will look for options to return it, preserving the advantages of space age,
Space Age is (or was, the last time they mentioned this) a bundle of mods, only one of which is Space Age proper: traveling to other planets and harnessing their resources. The other standalone parts of the expansion - elevated rails and quality modules are two they mentioned - are separate mods and can be activated with or without the Space Age mod.

All of the other things that aren't new content - things like the fluid rework, new circuit network options, new rail shapes, turret priorities - are available to everyone in 2.0, regardless of whether you're playing classic or space age.

Neelost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neelost »

To all people who want them to "fix" the trailer

You do realise they can't ??

It is *out*
What do you mean "remove the narrator", "fix the camera" !??

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

it stutters, they can fix it and re-upload it

FruityPop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FruityPop »

Eh, I like it. But I think it should require fuel. Those jets are clearly burning something. I NEED MY IMMERSION!

But then again, I havent played it yet, so it might be the right design decision.

I really love the trailer. The suspenseful music and cinematography is great. And the narrator just sells it. Amazing! I really look forward to booting up Space Age.

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

Is there a countdown timer/video somewhere ?
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

guy smiley
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by guy smiley »

Good trailer, but, I kinda also prefer the style of the 2020 trailer someone linked. There were no words needed then, or now. Do you guys perhaps have a version of this trailer without the narration that you could release as well maybe? Then everyone can be happy.

Also the Mech Suit in the trailer looks a lot like the suits from the start of Final Fantasy 6, nice. Can we wear the Mech Suit while in a Spidertron still? I usually use a Spidertron specced to move around, and have my power armour set up to field construction bots.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Train death avoidance - it's so much wanted and so cool feature!

For megabase building I usually play slightly modded Factorio, with a few QoL things: loaders, storehouses, water wells, and train invincibility.

For a new Space Age game I was planning to play vanilla again. But was always questioning myself: I can manage without loaders (like in old times) or replace store houses with some belt X*X mixers, but what to do with annoying accidental deaths to high speed trains?! New mech armor solves this problem completely! :lol:

DeeHants
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeeHants »

FruityPop wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:29 pm
Those jets are clearly burning something. I NEED MY IMMERSION!
Just make sure you're not carrying a ton of steel, ore, nuclear reactors, locomotives and rocket launch pads in your horse pocket!

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

TheoMarque wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:16 pm
today i do better overclock my CPU and RAM,
Just RAM usually enough. Bottleneck of tick processing is to iterate whole megabase belts, structures, bots and so on. Not a processing power.
TheoMarque wrote:
On one layer I can create Factory about 10k SPM with mods.
On 5 planets ... i can reach much smaller and less worth items.
I think you are too pessimistic. I expect that some teleport mod will be available soon, if you worry about travel problems and annoyance, during mega factory building.

At least I'm planning to build a new mega factory of at least several k SPM.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

BTW New Steam achievements are already there, just can't be completed yet, since the game client do not support them yet, until 2.0

yngndrw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yngndrw »

jamaicancastle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:09 pm
OnisDWA wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:26 pm
I am sad that you abandoned the old sandbox, and I will look for options to return it, preserving the advantages of space age,
Space Age is (or was, the last time they mentioned this) a bundle of mods, only one of which is Space Age proper: traveling to other planets and harnessing their resources. The other standalone parts of the expansion - elevated rails and quality modules are two they mentioned - are separate mods and can be activated with or without the Space Age mod.

All of the other things that aren't new content - things like the fluid rework, new circuit network options, new rail shapes, turret priorities - are available to everyone in 2.0, regardless of whether you're playing classic or space age.
I'm curious to know how this will work with achievements, as they are usually disabled with mods.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

Looks great, but my week-long embargo of social media wasn't fed enough! Can't wait til Monday and build my own factory and see for myself ^^

Very cool endgame armor, well done!!

Eric_NL
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eric_NL »

Dixi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 8:29 pm
[…]
TheoMarque wrote:
On one layer I can create Factory about 10k SPM with mods.
On 5 planets ... i can reach much smaller and less worth items.
I think you are too pessimistic. I expect that some teleport mod will be available soon, if you worry about travel problems and annoyance, during mega factory building.

At least I'm planning to build a new mega factory of at least several k SPM.
I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a post-game tech for teleporters in Space Age tbh.
Dixi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 8:38 pm
BTW New Steam achievements are already there, just can't be completed yet, since the game client do not support them yet, until 2.0
Hope there aren’t any spoilers in those achievements. :shock:

NastyFlytrap
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NastyFlytrap »

Wait, so, is this like a power armor from fallout, that you can just take off, or is this more like putting your brain into a robot body? Because if its the latter, taking the armor off, or not spawning with it after death gets complicated immersion wise......

Return to “News”