Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Regular reports on Factorio development.
scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Post by scarhoof »

[/quote]

In the discord, Klonan heavily implied that there will also be a 3rd fff for each planet
[/quote]

There would have to be, because we haven't seen all the things we can make with the new resources. New intermediates, weapons, ammo, etc.

ospeovedos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ospeovedos »

Boo. The release date should have been July 5.

In all seriousness, this FFF clarified something that I missed before: the elevated rails will only be for the expansion, whereas the new rail corners will be free with 2.0. I had initially thought that all the rail improvements would be in 2.0, but I guess not.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

As a maintainer (for some values of maintainer) of Brave New World, I imagine I might have a lot of work to do to make it work for 2.0. I strongly suspect it can be made to work a lot _better_ for 2.0 given the remote viewing features that were added.

I'm wondering if adding or removing modules from machines can be done remotely now. :-) It seems like setting up a spidertron's equipment inventory can be, though it's not clear if it can be modified after the ghost is built.

It might be nice to be able to make sure BNW works for Factorio 2.0 before it comes out. :-) But, that's likely not going to happen.

I will likely not port LD Auotcircuits to 2.0 as it seems like that functionality is already in the game now. :-)

gyorokpeter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gyorokpeter »

I'm wondering how the translations will be scheduled in comparison to the expansion release date.

If the strings are released earlier than the game, they could be difficult to translate without being able to play the game to understand the full context in which they appear, not to mention they may contain spoilers if not all of the content is revealed through FFFs. On the other hand if the two are released at the same time, that means all of the new strings will be untranslated and anyone not playing in English will have broken translations until a few patches in.

I think having an early access period would solve this as that would mean you could play the game but not expect it to be complete - in this case the lack of full translations would be part of the incompleteness.

gnutrino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnutrino »

Omnifarious wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:17 pm
I'm wondering if adding or removing modules from machines can be done remotely now.
yep
The biggest motivation that arose from playtesting was to be able to add fuel to stuck locomotives, remove random items from places where they don't belong, and to add/upgrade/remove modules.

So the solution is, that you can just simply click a ghost cursor in an inventory slot to make a ghost item, which will be delivered to the slot by local construction robots. The same for removal, which makes the deconstruction cross and orders robots to take it out.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Necronium wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:46 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:24 pm
fly wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:21 pm
Still disappointed with the whole Quality thing. I recall in the original FFF, where it was introduced, there was information about an option to disable Quality altogether. Hopefully, this is still the case. Another thing I'd like to disable is faster belts and stackable items on belts, as I see these as lazy gimmicks rather than improvements to the game.

Overall, though, I'm glad to know the release date now!
These will likely be separate mods that you can enable/disable when playing base 2.0, but I recall reading somewhere that Space Age itself was going to have a required dependency on everything.
Quality is required to play SA cause it has recycler in it which is needed for SA, but "Quality" itself is optional. Dont like it? You dont have to use it and play entire game just fine
Not what I was discussing.
Loewchen wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:29 pm
Still disappointed with the whole Quality thing. I recall in the original FFF, where it was introduced, there was information about an option to disable Quality altogether. Hopefully, this is still the case. Another thing I'd like to disable is faster belts and stackable items on belts, as I see these as lazy gimmicks rather than improvements to the game.

Overall, though, I'm glad to know the release date now!
These will likely be separate mods that you can enable/disable when playing base 2.0, but I recall reading somewhere that Space Age itself was going to have a required dependency on everything.
Here: viewtopic.php?p=612269#p612269
Thanks!!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

Hype!

It looks like the last planet will necessitate the inclusion of lights in our blueprints. Since it will be dark, I anticipate a planet with an ocean (because we already had fire, air, earth themed planets) and dark land patches. Maybe a metallic planet like Core Prime? I don't think that there will be snow, but that would have been cool. Maybe underwater machines? No I know, this will be an archipelago planet! Would be great if we can construct a "magnifier glass" space platform to make it bright during the day.

Infinite iron and copper sources (from lava) have been confirmed, but what about stone and other resource types?
Last edited by FasterJump on Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBeing
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GreenBeing »

Woo Hoo! The release date is my birthday. Best bday ever!

DrakeyC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrakeyC »

In the discord, Klonan heavily implied that there will also be a 3rd fff for each planet
I hope so, because I've many unanswered questions. As the FFFs for the planets thus far have led to believe, their primary purpose is to acquire unique resources necessary to craft better, bigger end-game machines that improve factory throughput, like the foundry and the electro-magnetic assembly plant thing from Fulgora. But how do these planets fit into progression overall on Nauvis in terms of expanding, researching, and upgrading? Right now - and perhaps this is just me - the impression I get is that a lot of the research and items associated with the other planets are for late-game and end-game. But what about the intermediate steps? Will we still be researching oil processing to begin production of plastics and red circuits and thus get blue science? Will we still spend most of the game with networks of steel furnaces until we the power grid to support electric furnaces with modules?

I guess I wanna know stuff about the planets from a micro-perspective instead of a macro-perspective. I feel its important that the planets are being integrated into the existing gameplay loop and not stapled onto the end. I don't want to end up overseeing a megabase identical to the base game save for the addition of a handful of advanced production facilities, while rockets to other planets act like glorified trains running resources back and forth. I want the progression to feel different.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Guessing all old saves will no longer work in new dlc?

fly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fly »

Loewchen wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:29 pm
Here: viewtopic.php?p=612269#p612269
Ah, I see, so the quality is not optional in the end, it is "optional" πŸ˜”

PaszaVonPomiot
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PaszaVonPomiot »

List of features is good.
Release date is fine.
Price point is correct.
Massive kudos for releasing 2.0 for free.
Shut up and take my money.

KouDy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KouDy »

Monday release, it's a little strange day tbh. I guess it doesn't make THAT big of a difference but i think before weekend would be a bit more convenient for the people.

Are there plans for expansion to be available on Humble Store?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Avezo wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:42 pm
Guessing all old saves will no longer work in new dlc?
I would guess there will be some really hacky conversion scripts to maintain 1.1 compatibility for base save games (without expansion).

But I would also guess that there will be some quirks involved.

What I think will be totally unavoidable is that the terrain generation of existing saves will be broken and that you will get a noticeable break-line where the 1.1 terrain generation was still used and where the 2.0 terrain generation will be used. Because that was always the case in the past as well when they changed the terrain generation algorithm.

And what I also assume is that if you get the expansion and want to play with all that stuff without even more quirks that you will have to start a new save regardless. (which would be the best any way, like with any other game when there is such a major update/expansion)

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

Congratulations with the impending DLC release!
I think I'll have to find either a very interesting job (AS interesting at the very least) or a job where I'll be able to do AFKing in Factorio, or I'll end up unemployed in early November <_<
(uuuuuuuh, can't wait to start a proper voyage towards all-Legendary base...)

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scarhoof »

KouDy wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:56 pm
Monday release, it's a little strange day tbh. I guess it doesn't make THAT big of a difference but i think before weekend would be a bit more convenient for the people.
I think a Monday release is more for the programmers so that they can be available all week for bug fixes. As much testing as they did internally it's no where near as intense as a bunch of us nerds hammering away at it once it releases, so I think they will want to be watching the forums in order to squash any game-breaking bugs asap.

As much as it would be nice to play all weekend, this is probably better for everyone involved. And if you can only play on the weekend, you'll be able to play a version with a bunch of bugfixes that Friday!

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

gnutrino wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:29 pm
The biggest motivation that arose from playtesting was to be able to add fuel to stuck locomotives, remove random items from places where they don't belong, and to add/upgrade/remove modules.

So the solution is, that you can just simply click a ghost cursor in an inventory slot to make a ghost item, which will be delivered to the slot by local construction robots. The same for removal, which makes the deconstruction cross and orders robots to take it out.
I should've read more closely. :-)

omega2003
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by omega2003 »

We can only add this to your wishlist? Please accept my money and sell it. :P

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

This is the first game I have ever wishlisted on Steam. Can. Not. Wait!

ikkiG
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ikkiG »

Wait are those... laser turrets in the middle of the base on gleba? Among a number of launch sites aka the location that would probably be very important to defend and as such - likely far away from the defensive perimiter?
ss_01fc7bc3f9a2024a15be6165ab4de1081cff57ce.jpg
ss_01fc7bc3f9a2024a15be6165ab4de1081cff57ce.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1854 times
Now mind you, none of the other Gleba screenshots have anything like that so maybe its just me trying too hard to cook, but wouldn't it be interesting if the surprise of Gleba enemies wasn't that they just had different sprites but rather that... I don't know, they had ways to circumvent the conventional boring perimiter wall to force us to change that up? In the same way a lot of other new mechanics try to force you to reconsider the standartised approaches to everything, like spoilage punishing huge buffers and long spread out production lines and etc? Because otherwise, what would be the point of having defenses so deep into what seems to be a very well established factory?

Return to β€œNews”