Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Regular reports on Factorio development.
gnutrino
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Post by gnutrino »

Nevicar wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:07 pm
also pretty disappointed you decided not only to open the game up early to specific players, but decided to not drop 2.0 early so players can start to build their bases over the weekend and be ready to dive in on monday, but instead have to play it during the work week
I'm not actually sure how well a 2.0 save would import into Space Age given that the tech trees are radically different (i.e. a bunch of the vanilla techs have been move off Nauvis to the new planets)...

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

So finally we don't have to fear the most dangerous predators out there. Take that trains!

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

gnutrino wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:32 pm
Nevicar wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:07 pm
also pretty disappointed you decided not only to open the game up early to specific players, but decided to not drop 2.0 early so players can start to build their bases over the weekend and be ready to dive in on monday, but instead have to play it during the work week
I'm not actually sure how well a 2.0 save would import into Space Age given that the tech trees are radically different (i.e. a bunch of the vanilla techs have been move off Nauvis to the new planets)...
The recommendation has always been to start a fresh game for Space Age (the mod). This is because it's balanced around various vanilla techs now requiring going to other planets, and unlocking them before space travel could trivialise many challenges.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

TheoMarque wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:16 pm
today i do better overclock my CPU and RAM, for new DLC but....
...but unfortunately, overclocking won't make time go any faster, so the DLC release isn't going to happen any sooner.

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

Moly wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:12 am
Is there any info on what time the DLC will become available on Monday?
They've said they are targeting 1300 CEST (so 1100 UTC) on discord

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

shopt wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:46 pm
Moly wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:12 am
Is there any info on what time the DLC will become available on Monday?
They've said they are targeting 1300 CEST (so 1100 UTC) on discord
The word "targeting" is ominous and potentially quite disappointing for those that are vacationing.

TheMax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheMax »

I bought Factorio here and got a steam key later.

Can I buy Space age here and also play that on steam?

Please elaborate.
Thank you

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

doktorstick wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:16 pm
The word "targeting" is ominous and potentially quite disappointing for those that are vacationing.
Well that was my rewording, I'm not sure how you are reading that ominously though. They actually said
Should be 13:00 CEST but maybe we do a classic of (sic) by one

FutureSpec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FutureSpec »

Very cool. Congrats on this big accomplishment. It's been a long wait.

One thing: PLEASE fix the motion blur when the camera is panning in the trailer. It's so muddy you can't see the details and it's a bit nauseating.

EvanT
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EvanT »

I find the trailer excellent. It provides the right amount of mystery while showing and telling just enough so new players do not get scared away. Factorio has a lot of complex mechanics so for a trailer it is important to not boil the frog to fast but put some toys in the water so the bath is interesting.

DefGie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DefGie »

Seems like the flying perk is pretty much the same utility as piloting a spidertron, is this really more appealing than the two equipment grids you get with armor + a spidertron? Granted, without the bobbing and rubber-banding. If the mech armor prevented you from entering vehicles *and* had a big enough grid to justify that limitation, then I'd understand. Does not sound that way to me.

Or did I forget nerfs to spidertron somewhere in the FFFs?

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

There's are some things I can think of that make this better than spidertron. You can use trains, and potentially you can cross lakes of arbitrary width (I'm not sure on this one). The landfill recipe change is effectively a spidertron nerf.

Blaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blaster »

GewaltSam wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:29 am
I want this in my life so, so much! One metal sarcophagus please, and I sure hope it has this new car smell!
When the Factorio player becomes a Necramech

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

2020 trailer is hard to match up to ofc but I think you did not really HAVE to make a trailer for Space Age release.

Also I don't like that you spoiled every single planet including the enemies in the FFF's and in the trailer.
I really hope there is still mystery left to be discovered and if yes then it's a shame it was not hinted at in the trailer.

Other than that still hyped for many of the cool new stuff like space platforms and quality.
Will wait with purchase until a official higher difficulty setting is available in the game and until I tested the new fluid system in 2.0 Factorio.

P.S. Don't forget to link the trailer in the Space Age announcement on Factorio.com

jamaicancastle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jamaicancastle »

I'm honestly confused about all the people complaining about "spoilers" in the trailer. Did you really think people would buy the expansion without knowing what's in it?

I mean, we all will, because we've been sucked in by the siren song of the factory - hence why we're wasting time on the forums. But for general users, it's hard to sell a product without discussing why they would want to play that instead of the game they already own.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

Interesting, I was not expecting "akweel-oh" as the official English language pronunciation for aquilo. :|

PrgSkidmark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PrgSkidmark »

I did not see this answered.
Will Nintendo Switch get Space Age Expansion?

Cobaltur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cobaltur »

The mech armor also makes you forget to fear walking over rails, which can be a hazardous habit.
Finally :D

grandexar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by grandexar »

Hopefully there is a setting to stabilize the camera while wearing the mech suit, the gentle bobbing effect of moving up and down would be quite nauseating. A good fix would be a setting to keep the camera targeting the ground spot where the player would be, though i don’t know if that is possible

grandexar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by grandexar »

EnerJi wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:04 pm
Interesting, I was not expecting "akweel-oh" as the official English language pronunciation for aquilo. :|
The narrator sounds Australian to me, so it’s a regional accent

Return to β€œNews”