Friday Facts #424 - Gleba Pentapod Enemies

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #424 - Gleba Pentapod Enemies

Post by Ohz »

In my opinion about ennemies gameplay lacking is a flying Mutaslik-Zerg or diving Worm-Dune ennemy (why not both?) that rush through the defense walls with no effort. And therefore need some kind of a back up extra defense, like C&C:RA surface-to-air missile or Dune Thumper.

The tanky stomper is a superb hint of diversity, it gives a boss fight feeling, and very welcomed. Thank you for your very hard work.

While I only have a "okay why not, cool" feeling from those aliens, Im still super hyped and excited about this planet and its mecanics, thank you so so much !

Youtube comments:

@Niviso "Lore-wise it looks like this will be the planet where the engineer gets the idea for the Spidertron, which would explain the obvious similarities."
@ViniciusNegrao_ "I really wish they added a drop from those enemies, like a brain or something that is required to make a spidertron instead of the fish"
Last edited by Ohz on Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I love the idea of enemies who are expressly designed to be directly fought first, act as turret fodder second. This was never felt with the enemies on Nauvis, where at worst you have to dodge some projectiles and kite some biter balls.

I wonder how exactly the static defense strategy will play out, I struggle to imagine that just from the writeup. It seems like some enemies have different AI for approaching the defenses, but ultimately it still seems like a solid wall with lots of turrets will do the trick.

Weromano
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Weromano »

When I saw the video of your splendid work on the new Fauna for Gleba,
the following two details about the animations looked weird to:

1. The head-movement of both the "strafers" and especially the "stompers" seem very mechanical, because they have no movement animation, so they look are very jagged.
In my opinion this needs to change, to give them a more organic appearance, else they look a bit too much like a reskinned spidertron.

2. For the "wrigglers" the movement speed doesn’t fit the movement animation speed, but I think this is far more of a subjective matter than my first point, which I deem to be dramatically more important in the context of creating a believable/immersive organic environment.

Wish you a great day!

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

Estelyen wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:53 pm
POPISowyNumer wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:43 pm
Someone's been watching "Alien Worlds", i suppose.
Or read Project Hail Mary.
They look like Rocky. Why make them look like Rocky, question?! Rocky is my friend, don't like fighting him! ♫♪♫♫♪! ;)
I can't unsee this, now I feel terrible for murdering stompers. Bad bad bad! :cry:
Don't forget, you're here forever.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

I think the first mod I get will be a change to the models
Devs, please consider a 'pentaphobia mode'

those things are disturbing and creepy and viscerally disgusting
like I had to close the window because they were that icky

and I say this as someone who loves spiders

CPU_BlackHeart
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CPU_BlackHeart »

Yes... YESS!!!!

New enemies, new enemies- New ENEMIES! I absolutely love this. Holy goodness! These things look freaky, they look alien- they just look... fantastic. The military aspect is one of my favorite parts of this game right next to building so seeing new enemies really takes this from "Must Have Expansion" to "MUST Have Expansion". Are a few of the other planets going to get new enemies like Volcanus or maybe the storm world? I can see the storm world maybe have some form of zombie-like tin bots roaming around, but really whatever you guys are cooking up, it's going to be great.

Really this whole post is just full of fanboying and praise- but I can't help it, just extremely extremely excited and happy to see this. New enemies not entirely being a thing was something I was worried about and I'm glad to see that worry tucked away and put to bed. :D

Mycroft4114
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mycroft4114 »

MiniHerc wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:35 pm

These could trigger arachnophobia and Trypophobia. Maybe an option to turn them into something cute. Cats maybe.

Nah, on second thought, it's been done.... :D

Mycroft4114
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mycroft4114 »

FunMaker wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:33 pm
The first thing while reading the pollution part:

I would try to put all production to gleba, because pollution is not of a concern here - am i missing something?
Not at all, with no pollution, put it all on Gleba. The enemies only care about how big your farming operation is, not your factory. Don't worry about efficiency modules either, just build more raw power.

Say, quick question - Gleba has no coal... or Uranium. How are you getting all this power? From farming products you say? Ah, good, no problem there then, carry on...

Winged_Shade
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Winged_Shade »

Mycroft4114 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:00 pm
FunMaker wrote:

I would try to put all production to gleba, because pollution is not of a concern here - am i missing something?
Not at all, with no pollution, put it all on Gleba. The enemies only care about how big your farming operation is, not your factory. Don't worry about efficiency modules either, just build more raw power.

Say, quick question - Gleba has no coal... or Uranium. How are you getting all this power? From farming products you say? Ah, good, no problem there then, carry on...
This makes perfect sense to me as a theory, since we know that at least one organic product (spoilage) can be burned in a boiler. Depending on if we can burn fresh products or not, we may end up intentionally letting things spoil to fuel steam engines, which could lead to some interesting design!

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cpw »

MiniHerc wrote:

I'm not a fan of spiders, and these things are just awful. If they're a mandatory part of the space age expansion, I guess I won't be playing it. They give strong arachnophobia vibes, and I struggled to read the FFF as a result of the moving images. I mean, 10 out of 10 for recreating eldritch horror. But 0 out of 10 for adding it to a factory game. I really hope you consider a means to not have to see these god awful things in game.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

MiniHerc wrote:

Awesome. We can always use some more Hatsune Miku mods out here.

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

The Wrigglers remind me of the octopuses in the very old Czech film "Chobotnice z II. patra".

GreenTrapped
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GreenTrapped »

Winged_Shade wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:21 pm
Mycroft4114 wrote:
FunMaker wrote:

This makes perfect sense to me as a theory, since we know that at least one organic product (spoilage) can be burned in a boiler. Depending on if we can burn fresh products or not, we may end up intentionally letting things spoil to fuel steam engines, which could lead to some interesting design!
If you use farming to get more fuel for your power production, wouldn't this mean that your fuel source may get destroyed as a result?

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Mycroft4114 wrote:
Seems like it. Although shipping in Uranium might also be a strong option.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Mycroft4114 wrote:
FunMaker wrote:

As an additional angle to add to this response, all these things you're presumably importing to produce on Gleba... How heavy are the raw materials? And how much storage space should they be expected to take up on the space platform?

Sure you can supplement that by just shipping the things that can't be produced locally and making the rest of the raw and intermediate parts on Gleba but brings us back to the original response: How big a farming operation are you going to need for that, and how much of a (tasty, delicious) stink is it going to raise for the locals?

(Why do I feel like the Gleba counterpart to the "trigger an attack wave" achivement is going to be "It smells good and now they're hungry" instead of "it stinks and they don't like it.")
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Cthuutloops
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cthuutloops »

I would love to see some of the more alien designes that didnt make it into the cut for the pentapod. Also there is a class of fossils of 5 pointed symetry creatures called crinoids a lot like modern sea lillies, that had all kinds of cool shapes to draw from.

I really like the fauna shown off, cant wait to experience them in real time.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

ManaUser wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:51 pm
Mycroft4114 wrote:
Seems like it. Although shipping in Uranium might also be a strong option.
? Why? On this planet petroleum is obtained through farming, thus it's renewable. And CO2 emissions are not a concern.

It looks to me that Ii there is anything that could use some uranium treatment here it's behemoth stompers.

Ivankon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ivankon »

Weromano wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:31 pm
2. For the "wrigglers" the movement speed doesn’t fit the movement animation speed
+1

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuerian »

Awesome, looking forward to it!

People have raised passive and phobia concerns, and those seem valid and addressable with mods worst-case.

hojava
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hojava »

First I'd like to say that the new enemies are amazing. They look completely awesome, I especially like the stomper. And the different fighting requirements and strategies are great, coming from a person to whom the fighting aspect of Factorio has only a minor appeal.

Koub wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:18 pm
Just one thing seems off : the Wrigglers' feet seem to glide on the ground. Normally, when a creature has legs and feet, the feet don't glide on the ground while they wander around. The way they move on the ground makes them look like some kind of ice skating creatures. Especially visible on the dedicated Wrigglers video.
Agreed. The problem is that they rarely have a point (or preferably multiple) that are static relative to the ground, so they don't look like they're pushing off of the ground. But to me, it is a relatively minor problem.

CyberCider wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:07 pm
malecord wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:53 pm
I think eggs will be produced in the biochamber... so in theory you have to harves one manually to craft a biochamber and then with that chamber you can produe more. The issue is that if you don't process them fast enough they will hatch on your belts and thus cause damage. That part of factory production line will need to include turrets in the design in case any enemy spawns as a byproduct. Not a big deal, taken individually those are not a big threat.
IMG_1467.jpeg - you guys probably didn't notice it but the thing inside the biochamber is actually a wriggler with legs up and head down

Certainly seems like a possibility
It makes sense. But I have to say I hope it is not the case. Killing the locals in a battle is one thing, but indefinitely constraining one and torturing it to produce eggs so I can exploit it's potential offspring is a completely different level of wrongness. I really hope the eggs are produced by cloning or something.

And lastly, I would like to say that I really, really, really want to see some of the designs deemed too alien.

Return to “News”