Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Regular reports on Factorio development.
oliveiraethales
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Post by oliveiraethales »

This is it boys and girls. A poem to commemorate

The time has come
To sell all your belongings
To cut ties with friends
To reconsider your life purposes
To focus on what really matters
After all
The factory must continue to grow...
IN SPACE!

raven2k3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by raven2k3 »

Thx for the hard work, I am really exited to play the dlc ^^

I hope that somedays solar will be finally nerfed (or need some expensive resource) so that the player is forced (at least temporarily) to use nuclear power instead of just placing cheap solar panels on mass..
Last edited by raven2k3 on Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngndrw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yngndrw »

Well the jetpack certainly solves the "squeak through" issue!

I don't know if it's just me (Probably is), but SpaceX has ruined the cargo pod animation for me. I keep expecting the rocket plume to vector rather than the whole cargo pod body rotating.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

doktorstick wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:40 pm
jamezhall wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:06 am
Best thing about that video was we can finally all agree now on the pronunciation of GLEBA. Ha! No more Glee-ba or Xterms fav Glubba <3
And we learned that Factorio is Italian. "Itsa me, Factorio!"
It happens that I speak italian. And I can tell you that one of the most cringe things I heard in the last 20 years was italian wannabe esports casters rename "Factories" into "Fattorie" (literally, farms).

So, "It's a me! A Fattorio!" :D (noises of ConcernedApe pissing himself in the background...)

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

To be honest, it bothers me that you see such micro animations of landing (video) over factories. It shouldn't be so sensitive. Earlier before the obstacle and later down again so that it doesn't look so strange.

Personally, I think it's generally nicer to have the normal jetpack from Space Exploration - the modders will sort that out :mrgreen:

Not long to go until release, I'm looking forward to it.

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

malecord wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:12 pm
So, "It's a me! A Fattorio!" :D (noises of ConcernedApe pissing himself in the background...)
Clint approves this comparison. Dig more Iron Ore. Upgrade your tools. He could use extra income.

TheFrizz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheFrizz »

Good luck with the launch.

I think the trailer would have been better if it had a less explicit script and relied on showing the viewer more than telling them.

"Launch materials into space to construct giant space platforms"
"Travel to 4, all-new worlds"
"Solve new logistics challenges"
"Unlock powerful new technologies"
"Survive new enemies"
"Find victory automating the final challenge"

I think words along these lines would have been sufficient with interesting factories, panning and zooming to bring the things you want into focus. Anyone who wants to know the name of the lava planet can click around the FFFs or whatever.

I was hoping the blog entry would detail a bit more about launch. What time does it come out? Should we reset vanilla achievements, or does the expansion have new achievements and the old ones are irrelevant. Are there any achievements like Lazy Bastard that a player should consider trying to get out of the gate that encourage a better play style? What do devs think is the ultimate way to play Space Age, like random seed without seeing map preview?

I've been trying to avoid enemy and Aquilo spoilers so I've skipped many of the recent blog posts and related discussion. I feel like having the entire expansion viewable due to the influencer embargo ending a week ago has made it hard to seek spoiler-free information on the best way to do a first play through. Any advice appreciated.

epartridge
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by epartridge »

Almost here, can't wait to play!

Has there been any information on time-of-day for release?

Nevicar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nevicar »

pretty disappointed you cant even be bothered to give us a release time schedule so we know when we can get it

also pretty disappointed you decided not only to open the game up early to specific players, but decided to not drop 2.0 early so players can start to build their bases over the weekend and be ready to dive in on monday, but instead have to play it during the work week

ah well

floven1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by floven1 »

Pepsilian wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:35 am
ok, this might be highly heretical, even for me but hear me out. Factorio is part of the Warhammer 40k universe! you, the engineer, are basically a stranded adeptus mechanicus, your assembly machines are technically STC's. you don't "research" directly, you just unlock the knowledge to build things. because if you look at the tech screen every technology is already known, you just unlock it. everything you build is identical (again STC) and the added quality are just mastercrafted items. the tank is just a variation of a Leman Russ (i could look it up which one exactly but i don't want to). you start with a bolt pistol, the smg is a bolter, you later get equivalents of flamethrowers, lasguns, plasma guns etc. and now you can become a dreadnought.
I disagree with one thing you've said,

the part about this being heretical, can someone please make a mod that reskins these things.

edit: heck, maybe a reskin of just the engineer would be sufficient, just to drive the point home lol.
Last edited by floven1 on Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dismissive sig? opinion discarded

Malfeason
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Malfeason »

Seeing the Factorio splash screen come up in the trailer with the load screen music playing gave me goosebumps. People who don't play this game will never get to feel this level of excitement. I feel bad for them.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

today i do better overclock my CPU and RAM, for new DLC but.... probably play it only once a DLC due this update is not for massive factories with tons of entities. On one layer I can create Factory about 10k SPM with mods. On 5 planets - probably with 10 new science packs i can reach much smaller and less worth items. Overall - only one goal to do after complete tech tree will be turn factory into legendary quality and... nothing else ;(

MaexxDesign
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MaexxDesign »

Can't wait to play! :D

BUT:
A freight wagon that is more than ten times larger than a steel chest has 20 slots.
A steel chest has 28 slots. :x
That has annoyed me since the beginning.
Please change this. :)

sarge945
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarge945 »

So, given that the mech suit has now been shown off, does this mean there's only 1 thing that hasn't been shown off now in FFF? I am of course referring to
the final endgame stuff.
I thought the original idea was to only show off a small subset of what's coming in the expansion, but apparently we've seen almost everything.

Ironically all the people complaining about spoilers from all the content creators playing Space Age, while I get that it's annoying, unless you've seen that ONE specific thing, you've pretty much already seen everything already, just by reading all the FFFs up to this point, so they aren't really showing anything new. Obviously the details haven't been shown, things like individual recipes, but generally it looks like we have broad strokes of almost everything now from FFFs.

It's kind of a shame so much was revealed by FFFs, but at least we get some good information too.

yngndrw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yngndrw »

TheFrizz wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:54 pm
I've been trying to avoid enemy and Aquilo spoilers so I've skipped many of the recent blog posts and related discussion. I feel like having the entire expansion viewable due to the influencer embargo ending a week ago has made it hard to seek spoiler-free information on the best way to do a first play through. Any advice appreciated.
This has annoyed me as well, the YouTube channel "Galdoc's Tutorials" has a set of videos marked spoiler free which show some of the QoL changes without any of the Space Age content. All other spoiler videos I've just been marking as "Not Interested".

sarge945 wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:21 pm
Ironically all the people complaining about spoilers, while I get that it's annoying, unless you've seen that ONE specific thing, you've pretty much already seen everything already, just by following FFF?

Obviously the details haven't been shown, things like individual recipes, but generally it looks like we have broad strokes of almost everything now.
For me, I don't mind seeing the new stuff and challenges that we have to solve, but what I don't want to see is how to solve those challenges. I want to do the problem-solving for myself, just like with Kovarex etc. This is the issue with the early ending of the embargo.

MaexxDesign wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:20 pm
A freight wagon that is more than ten times larger than a steel chest has 20 slots.
A steel chest has 28 slots. :x
That has annoyed me since the beginning.
Please change this. :)
Maybe the steel chest is really really really tall?

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Phauxstus wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:39 am
I'm not a fan of the narration, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SBp4SyvLc and it's iterations click much better. And the narration flatout saying the features of every planet instead of showing them and letting people be intrigued feels off too. We couldn't tell there's molten lava, strange creatures, and ruined civilisations from just seeing the molten lava, strange creatures, and city ruins?
Even without the narration stating what's already obvious in the visuals, it feels out of place with the rest of the game. There's only beeps and boops, and I didn't even know that there was some kind of trailer with a narrator, until reading someone's comment about this trailer. (I'd only ever seen the trailer that you linked.) I just tried muting the new trailer, and humming the music that starts before the voice, and it feels better already. :lol:

yngndrw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yngndrw »

AileTheAlien wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:35 pm
Phauxstus wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:39 am
I'm not a fan of the narration, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SBp4SyvLc and it's iterations click much better. And the narration flatout saying the features of every planet instead of showing them and letting people be intrigued feels off too. We couldn't tell there's molten lava, strange creatures, and ruined civilisations from just seeing the molten lava, strange creatures, and city ruins?
Even without the narration stating what's already obvious in the visuals, it feels out of place with the rest of the game. There's only beeps and boops, and I didn't even know that there was some kind of trailer with a narrator, until reading someone's comment about this trailer. (I'd only ever seen the trailer that you linked.) I just tried muting the new trailer, and humming the music that starts before the voice, and it feels better already. :lol:
If you play the old trailer music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpnfR0H ... 2&index=25) over the new (muted) trailer, it fits really well. The timing is about right and even when the old music runs out and it changes to the next track (Intro music), it still fits quite well. I find that combination builds a lot more suspense.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The rocket pod making maneuvers in space with its main engine always on and pointed in the same direction instead of an RCS system bothers me a bit. I guess the few khours I played KSP did leave some scars.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

sarge945
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarge945 »

yngndrw wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:30 pm
TheFrizz wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:54 pm
This has annoyed me as well, the YouTube channel "Galdoc's Tutorials" has a set of videos marked spoiler free which show some of the QoL changes without any of the Space Age content. All other spoiler videos I've just been marking as "Not Interested".
Triggles has also done a bunch of spoiler-free videos.
yngndrw wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:30 pm
For me, I don't mind seeing the new stuff and challenges that we have to solve, but what I don't want to see is how to solve those challenges. I want to do the problem-solving for myself, just like with Kovarex etc. This is the issue with the early ending of the embargo.
I generally agree with this sentiment, but unless you're watching streams or longer-form videos of actual gameplay, most if not all the spoilerific Expansion related videos are simply talking about the existence of features, not how to solve problems.

I have found Nilaus' content to be particularly egregious with showing solutions, though.

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

jaredjeya wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:59 am
We didn’t see any enemies in the trailer for Fulgora. Does that confirm the only hazard will be the lightning, then?
I don't think there's been any official confirmation either way, but from content creators with early access we know that
yes there are no hazards on Fulgora except the lightning

Return to β€œNews”