Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Regular reports on Factorio development.
MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #433 - Liftoff Initiated

Post by MEOWMI »

Here's to a smooth launch! Needless to say I am excited!

Pepsilian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pepsilian »

ok, this might be highly heretical, even for me but hear me out. Factorio is part of the Warhammer 40k universe! you, the engineer, are basically a stranded adeptus mechanicus, your assembly machines are technically STC's. you don't "research" directly, you just unlock the knowledge to build things. because if you look at the tech screen every technology is already known, you just unlock it. everything you build is identical (again STC) and the added quality are just mastercrafted items. the tank is just a variation of a Leman Russ (i could look it up which one exactly but i don't want to). you start with a bolt pistol, the smg is a bolter, you later get equivalents of flamethrowers, lasguns, plasma guns etc. and now you can become a dreadnought.

Phauxstus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phauxstus »

I'm not a fan of the narration, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SBp4SyvLc and it's iterations click much better. And the narration flatout saying the features of every planet instead of showing them and letting people be intrigued feels off too. We couldn't tell there's molten lava, strange creatures, and ruined civilisations from just seeing the molten lava, strange creatures, and city ruins?
The mech suit is cool. An optional toggle for permanent flight would be nice, so we don't have to go up and down like a yoyo when running over a forest.

jaworeq
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jaworeq »

Any timeline on release, as in what time in which regions?

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

I love all of this expansion; so much to look forward to! But....

One thing I am so disappointed on.... the Assembling Machine. Not only does it not get a graphics update, but it also got zero love through 4 more years of development. This one machine that is so numerous in factories looks so out of place now. Pixelated and dull, this machine is the black duckling of the game. I guess I am replacing it with every new building once I get those unlocked. (Or was that the idea?)

mcmase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcmase »

My only (very minor) issue with the jetpack is that when going over a series of obstacles, the player character seems to bob up and down like he's considering landing at every open space.

Could we get a delay of like 1s or something before the character attempts to land, so that we fly smoothly over our factory? This issue could get even worse as faster speeds are reached.

Otherwise, everything looks amazing!! Sad that I won't be able to play at launch, but hopefully schedule will clear up after the holidays and I'll get to try it out!!!

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I'm not against the idea of having a talky trailer, but I feel like it misses the mark here. The narration retreads what the visuals are already doing - that Fulgora has lightning, Vulcanus has lava, and Gleba has pentapods. Instead it should tell us what isn't so obvious - that Fulgora has an inverted crafting tree, that Vulcanus has a ton of resources, and that automation on Gleba is time-sensitive. Y'know, the unique gameplay part of this new videogame expansion, the reason we wanna look into getting it.

If the point is to entice us by showing the new planets while omitting the details, narration isn't necessary.

Basically, do what made the two OG trailers work. One hooks us by showing us how cool the game is in motion, the other explains what we'll be actually doing and why.

jaredjeya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jaredjeya »

We didn’t see any enemies in the trailer for Fulgora. Does that confirm the only hazard will be the lightning, then?

Phauxstus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phauxstus »

Drury wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:53 am
The narration retreads what the visuals are already doing - that Fulgora has lightning, Vulcanus has lava, and Gleba has pentapods.
Exactly my issue. I don't want a talking trailer when the main trailer showed how much better a mute one can be, but if you have to have speech at least write an interesting script that serves a purpose. Currently, the only thing the talking does is make it hard to hear the music :D

Nine_Theta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nine_Theta »

Let us know if you are ready to become one with the machine at the usual places.
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me
I craved the strength and certainty of steel
I aspired to the purity of the Blessed Machine
Your kind cling to your flesh, as though it will not decay and fail you
One day the crude biomass you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you
But I am already saved
For the Machine is immortal

Even in death I serve the Omnissiah

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Drury wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:53 am
I'm not against the idea of having a talky trailer, but I feel like it misses the mark here. The narration retreads what the visuals are already doing - that Fulgora has lightning, Vulcanus has lava, and Gleba has pentapods. Instead it should tell us what isn't so obvious - that Fulgora has an inverted crafting tree, that Vulcanus has a ton of resources, and that automation on Gleba is time-sensitive. Y'know, the unique gameplay part of this new videogame expansion, the reason we wanna look into getting it.

If the point is to entice us by showing the new planets while omitting the details, narration isn't necessary.

Basically, do what made the two OG trailers work. One hooks us by showing us how cool the game is in motion, the other explains what we'll be actually doing and why.
It's easy to lose sight of this being so close to the material for so long. The trailer took the form of the FFFs which introduced the environments of the planets, and overlooks the mechanics. Which is ironic because of how focused on mechanics the development of the game is and has always been, with the aesthetics adapting to fit the need for diverse interactions between systems.

The trailer is great, but I'm with you, visuals showing one thing and the voice-over referencing mechanics and feeding a different part of one's imagination in parallel would have been even better.

Edit: It did describe mechanics to some degree, I'm not sure I can quite put into words what would make "the difference" ... but to be clear, the trailer is really good and this is nit-picking! The best I can do is reference the "show don't tell" cliche and suggest that the extent of overlap between visuals and voice is somehow giving a feeling of redundancy.
Last edited by IronCartographer on Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

Panzerkleins.
75ac0972f2c1109068b16e22e517321f17f5abb13ed4cd5303f1b7908ff9c997.jpg
75ac0972f2c1109068b16e22e517321f17f5abb13ed4cd5303f1b7908ff9c997.jpg (126.16 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
In space.
I lived to see this day! EXCELLENT!

Zomis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zomis »

As the original trailer ended with launching a rocket, it would have been so cool if this trailer started with the same identical factory as the original trailer had. :)

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to start playing it!

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Thank you Wube. Space Age will undoubtedly be treasured by many for many years to come.

_italics_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _italics_ »

Exciting, but the background of the video is stuttering horribly. Painful to watch.
stutter.gif
stutter.gif (2.6 MiB) Viewed 1723 times
Look at the spaceship (smooth) vs. the background.

foxiest_engineer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by foxiest_engineer »

"From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me..."

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Shit... I had my employer release scheduled this week end and 4 days holidays already booked from Tuesday since June. But ofc stupid contractors messed up and now I it has been postponed 1 month. Don't spoil anything on this forum in the coming weeks or I will send you a demolisher at home. :mrgreen:

bmmtstb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bmmtstb »

_italics_ wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:29 pm
Exciting, but the background of the video is stuttering horribly. Painful to watch.

stutter.gif

Look at the spaceship (smooth) vs. the background.
I was noticing that too. Throughout the whole video. Fixed frame rate of 30FPS? Or even lower? The Trailer definetely seems less optimized that the factories ;)

icksa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by icksa »

Very excited for the auto jumping, no separate fuel.

And Congratulations! Glad to see that the years of hard work will pay off on Monday. I'm definitely taking the day off.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

jamezhall wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:06 am
Best thing about that video was we can finally all agree now on the pronunciation of GLEBA. Ha! No more Glee-ba or Xterms fav Glubba <3
And we learned that Factorio is Italian. "Itsa me, Factorio!"

Return to “News”