Friday Facts #423 - Research info tooltip & Online players GUI

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Jerm993
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #423 - Research info tooltip & Online players GUI

Post by Jerm993 »

Will the notification cameras be limited to the fog of war? AKA say we get an alert outside of radar, do we still see what's going on?

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

gnutrino wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:17 pm
Does
it was a little bit annoying having to remote view to the labs back on Nauvis
count as confirmation that labs will only be buildable on Nauvis?
while i would like that question answered officially too, i can only guess that because they do multiplayer, they are just staying on nauvis because they could not decide where else to build the labs.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

gnutrino wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:17 pm
Does
it was a little bit annoying having to remote view to the labs back on Nauvis
count as confirmation that labs will only be buildable on Nauvis?
You can't *not* build labs on Nauvis, cause you need some science to be able to get anywhere else.
And once there, it's easier to send back the planet specific science to Nauvis for research, instead of sending ALL the science doable on Nauvis on a remote planet for research purpose.
The most straightforward is obviously to make use of the research labs already built on Nauvis and just import the science packs from the other planets.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

gnutrino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnutrino »

Except that the Gleba pack spoils so it actually makes most sense to put the labs there if you're allowed...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Would it be more expensive to send everything to Gleba from Nauvis, or just overbuild on Gleba to compensate for the spoiling, and sent it to Nauvis ? Both could be viable, depending on the costs, the volumes needing to be sent, the duration, ...
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FutureSpec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FutureSpec »

I'm concerned about the drip drip of tiny FFFs. There's only 10 blog posts remaining until SA release and there's loads of enemies/final planet/etc. left to reveal. I'm getting a bad feeling they are holding back "secret" changes for hype purposes, which might help their bottom line but doesn't help the user/consumer.

I'm sure everyone appreciates QoL, but at this point I'm more interested in hearing about actual new mechanical and thematic changes.

At this rate, I plan to sit out a day one purchase and instead watch reviews before I decide about buying. And I say this as a long time fan (hundreds of hours in the vanilla game), but these teeny tiny drip feed of FFFs is quite honestly getting on my nerves now.

kpreid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kpreid »

It might be nice if the research info also had some way of presenting “your research is currently limited by the supply of <name> science pack”. Perhaps it could count and graph the number of labs that are idle because they have some, but not all, required science packs. That would help spot “oops I unplugged it” problems faster, and implicitly teach new players about producing a balanced-or-overkill supply of science packs.

Neutronium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Neutronium »

morse wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:12 am
Next step - multimonitor support, with the ability to pin remote views to separate game windows and put it on different screens.
100%! This would be great for power users engineers who want more data readily accessible while working in the other screen...
  • remote view
  • production stats
  • electric network stats
  • research window
  • Factoriopedia
  • logistics GUI
  • etc.
Imagine the command center someone can build for monitoring their megabase with this data across multiple windows while their game is still in character view... or in multiplayer/speedrun games using this for coordination. There are a lot of use cases that would benefit from this.

kitters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kitters »

Well... It was short.
See you next week.

Danjen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Danjen »

Lord Doshington made a point in a video that the multiplayer observer mode is very clunky to move around in, fyi

PsyberWolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PsyberWolf »

I'm really looking forward to 2.0!!! But, a suggestion - Some people have extra monitors...maybe make it so that windows can be put on them???

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuerian »

Lots of nice changes. Looking forward to the expansion, not sure where the "small" stuff is coming from.

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

I wish there were more like a "Research Info Tooltip" tracking for other elements in-game that are not tracked very well in Factorio 1.1.x.

The content of the remote monitor, with a V453000 player, caught my eye.

Why are there at least three pipe pumps sequentially between storage tanks?

Shouldn't the offshore pump pushing Lava provide all of the 'pressurization,' due to #416 changes, necessary for the fluid to reach Lava Fluid consumers?

Does the pipe pump no longer have a maximum flow rate?

Locane
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Locane »

The player jump remote view is really cool! Many times I've been playing with my brother and had to ask him where he is in voice chat.

For the destruction alert changes, that looks nice, but maybe we could have a toggle that excludes walls from alerts? That would solve 99% of my issues with damaging alerts, but might not be for everyone.

NexGenration
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NexGenration »

while these are good additions, a simple yet useful addition to the game seems to have been avoided here: let us turn off notifications for walls being destroyed. just walls. nothing else. ive become so desensitized to the "entity was destroyed" alert sound that i dont even notice it half the time.

TiMatic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TiMatic »

XT-248 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:23 pm
Why are there at least three pipe pumps sequentially between storage tanks?

Shouldn't the offshore pump pushing Lava provide all of the 'pressurization,' due to #416 changes, necessary for the fluid to reach Lava Fluid consumers?

Does the pipe pump no longer have a maximum flow rate?
It was mentioned in FFF-416 that there is a special case that allows pumps to pull at a faster rate if they are connected directly to a storage tank. Maybe that's the reason for it.

Gharg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gharg »

morse wrote:
Next step - multimonitor support, with the ability to pin remote views to separate game windows and put it on different screens.
I just dug up my account from ages ago just to say that this would be incredible.

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

TiMatic wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:52 pm
It was mentioned in FFF-416 that there is a special case that allows pumps to pull at a faster rate if they are connected directly to a storage tank. Maybe that's the reason for it.
I will quote a section from the same FFF Blog.
FFF-416 Blog Post wrote:In the new system, there is no longer a need to use pumps for this purpose. Pumps are still useful to force directional flow, act as conditional valves with a circuit network, and to load/unload trains, but you won't be placing nearly as many of them as before.
Source: FFF-416

The pipe pumps are heading only in one direction (from south to north). I can understand using pumps to force directional flow at a junction, but pump-to-pump sequentially?

The pictured pipe pumps had no circuit connection. So, they are not acting as conditional valves.

Obviously, there is no train unloading/loading anywhere in the example.

It is counter-intuitive since they can connect a simple pipe/underground-pipe network from Lava Offshore Pumps to Lava consumers, and there would be zero maximum throughput issues mechanics-wise. Given that fluid, as much as it pains gameplay-wise me to say it, teleport across a vast distance to where it is being consumed.

argbla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by argbla »

morse wrote:
Multiple views, opened in separate system windows. You could have the views lock to trains or spidertrons, or track any other entity. But this would be too good. Would we really deserve something that good?

Mathematician
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mathematician »

With more frequent cases when player works in remote view (and player avatar just stands around) I suggest adding... a chair.
Some people say math is useless in life. I say life is useless in math.

Return to “News”