Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Regular reports on Factorio development.
maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Post by maniak1349 »

TheoMarque wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:25 am
My Manager said - you are crazy, 2 weeks for just playing a game.
Merely two weeks to play Factorio? Your manager is right. :)

Fiorra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fiorra »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:19 am
The DLC will have the same buying policy as the base game, so buyable both on the page or on the steam, and claimable both ways.
What about gog? They have some payment options that your website/humblebundle lack.

Anima117
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anima117 »

Obviously, I wishlisted it as soon as I saw the post, the wait will be difficult, but I'll gladly spend 35€ to spend more time designing horrible messes of a factory design.

On another note... Since the 5th planet is going to be cold, I am so far not wrong in my asumption that each planet has an elemental theme (Vulcanus has fire, Fulgora has air, Gleba has earth, so technically that last one should have water). But I do wonder what the most unique gameplay of the expansion would be... It being dark however, I'm guessing it is gonna have plenty of fun stuff going around in the shadows...

quineotio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quineotio »

I'm glad you kept the names/colour coding of quality. Makes it so much easier to understand, because it's already familiar.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Great, close to my birthday, will book holidays for two weeks minimum :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

JackTheSpades
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JackTheSpades »

I've purchased the game without a connected Steam account.
Is there any way to connect them such that I can purchase the extension in October?

Anima117
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anima117 »

Terrahertz wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:28 am
There is now a screenshot clearly showing the Landing Pad with attached cargo bays, yet sadly it did not answer a question I had ages ago: Do Cargo-Bays on Planets have the same restriction as in Space: Inserters cannot take items out of them.
Because I'm not a big fan of the Idea of unloading the Pad entirely by drones.

Also: Any Ideas what the little Rocket-Thing above the bottom left cargobay is? Some sort of further delivery system?
That triangle is probably placeholder effect for a flame (as seen in early placeholders for the space platform). I'm going to guess it s a delivery package from a space platform getting dropped into the cargo bay, slowing itself down with a thruster. Or it could be the opposite, but I'd guess that the big rockets do that.
Last edited by Anima117 on Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Obviously he thinks you shoulda booked three.
I postponed my holidays for 3 years and collect 60 days to use it NOW. I think - according to previous FFF - finishing a game need about 200 hours of gameplay. two weeks is just 336 hours - and if I sleep a 1/3 of this time - for playing rest about 224 hours, so 2 weeks are needed to finish SA without health problems.

SkerrittT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SkerrittT »

Factorio: Space Age will also coincide with the release of Factorio version 2.0 .... well damn... thats pretty exciting.

Factorio version 2 will be a great improvement in itself. How will I be able to split my time between version 2 and Factorio: Space Age ? ..... what a wonderful problem to have.

Thank you for your great work. Like many others I have garnered much enjoyment from Factorio over the years.

I started playing Factorio it not long after I retired, even before EA on Steam,....it was one of the reasons, together with desires to play flight simulators like DCS and IL2, that I purchased a gaming PC. Now I find, all these years later, that I still play Factorio while every other game has not retained its playability (lasting at best a few hundred hours, many only tens of hours) or, like the flight sims, has fallen to the wayside.

So, thank you to everyone who has contributed their time, work effort, talent, skills and imagination to Factorio. I very much look forward to Factorio version 2 and to Factorio: Space Age. I wish you all every success. 8-)

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Terrahertz wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:28 am
There is now a screenshot clearly showing the Landing Pad with attached cargo bays, yet sadly it did not answer a question I had ages ago: Do Cargo-Bays on Planets have the same restriction as in Space: Inserters cannot take items out of them.
Because I'm not a big fan of the Idea of unloading the Pad entirely by drones.

Also: Any Ideas what the little Rocket-Thing above the bottom left cargobay is? Some sort of further delivery system?
wait wait wait wait wait, those cargo attachments DONT let you use inserters on them?! Did i miss something when reading that FFF?! I really hoped i could use that to make a reeeeeeeally long space ship chest.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

woytaz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by woytaz »

TheoMarque wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:25 am
$35.00
$1 ≈ 4.00 PLN

4 × 35 = 140 PLN not 160 PLN.

Rest? Great. booked 2 weeks holidays from work starts 21.10.2024. My Manager said - you are crazy, 2 weeks for just playing a game.
Careful comparing the US price, because as far as I know, the state sales taxes are added later during checkout.

That said, the Polish price is indeed stupid: higher than in Euro, British Pounds or Norwegian Krone! And before anyone says, yes, that's likely based on Steam's recommendations, which are indeed stupid.

Some devs adjust them to more sensible levels, e.g. Supergiant for Hades 2, which is very nice.
Last edited by woytaz on Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

SkerrittT wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:02 pm
Factorio: Space Age will also coincide with the release of Factorio version 2.0 .... well damn... thats pretty exciting.

Factorio version 2 will be a great improvement in itself. How will I be able to split my time between version 2 and Factorio: Space Age ? ..... what a wonderful problem to have.
Do you even know the difference between Factorio: Space Age and Factorio 2.0? Factorio: Space Age is Factorio 2.0 plus all the new space and planet content. Factorio 2.0 is basically Factorio 1.1 plus new Quality of Life features. Playing Factorio: Space Age means you have ALL the content.

ixale
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ixale »

Cant wait!

While I understand your pricing policy, wouldnt it make sense to lower the price of the base game (20?) so there are more potentional DLC customers?

KupoHoM
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KupoHoM »

I want to buy Factorio and the new DLC, can you please tell me what the price of Space Age will be for Ukraine?

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

Anima117 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:38 am
Obviously, I wishlisted it as soon as I saw the post, the wait will be difficult, but I'll gladly spend 35€ to spend more time designing horrible messes of a factory design.

On another note... Since the 5th planet is going to be cold, I am so far not wrong in my asumption that each planet has an elemental theme (Vulcanus has fire, Fulgora has air, Gleba has earth, so technically that last one should have water). But I do wonder what the most unique gameplay of the expansion would be... It being dark however, I'm guessing it is gonna have plenty of fun stuff going around in the shadows...
I remember from when they released the music, we got a sample for the fifth planet, and it too, gave aquarian vibes... And I also believe they mentioned something with train interrupts. I'm going to take a guess and say it's a planet with tides, where we gotta stop our trains to prevent them from being flooded away or something? Who knows!

morhp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by morhp »

GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:07 pm
wait wait wait wait wait, those cargo attachments DONT let you use inserters on them?! Did i miss something when reading that FFF?! I really hoped i could use that to make a reeeeeeeally long space ship chest.
I don't think anything has been confirmed, but maybe they want to prevent you from basically teleporting items around by building super long chests and just putting inserters where you need to extract the items. That would feel kinda cheaty to me.

But I also don't think it should be robots only.
Last edited by morhp on Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anima117
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anima117 »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:09 pm
SkerrittT wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:02 pm

Do you even know the difference between Factorio: Space Age and Factorio 2.0? Factorio: Space Age is Factorio 2.0 plus all the new space and planet content. Factorio 2.0 is basically Factorio 1.1 plus new Quality of Life features. Playing Factorio: Space Age means you have ALL the content.
This isn't quite true. The big diference is that some recipes get locked behind planets, while others get to be way easier to complete (such as rockets), but it doesn't replace the base game. The addon is basically just a mod you turn on or off.
That being said, you technically do get Factorio 2.0 in Space Age. Just I'm guessing OP meant more that, he might want to play base factorio from time to time.

morhp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by morhp »

I don't think it has been confirmed if some of the rebalancing changes will creep into the base game. Making rockets cheaper would definitely make "winning" the game easier. But some of the other balance changes might make sense.

Tungro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tungro »

Having played this great game for almost 5600 hours, I guess it's safe to say I will add to this total. WUBE team you guys rock!!!

TaxiService
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TaxiService »

[Removed, off topic]

the whole "tiny chance for a rare item!" thing is ill. I really don't get it.
(from: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-375 )

The excitement of getting directly a rare power armor from common ingredients when you are super lucky is the same as getting BAR-BAR-BAR in the slot machine, or the wanted item in the pay-to-win lootbox mechanics.
this also means that the other 99.9% of the time it will feel like crap. And think about speedrunning... 🤦
It baffles me how a mechanic like this would be desired by anyone.

if it was up to me, the drop table would look like this:
fff-375-quality-probabilities.png
fff-375-quality-probabilities.png (30.96 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
the added complexity of having to filter out the occasional higher-tier item is not worth adding gambling-adjacent mechanics, imho

otherwise, cool beans.
best of luck!
Last edited by TaxiService on Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”