Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Regular reports on Factorio development.
husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Post by husnikadam »

What about merch? Will merch store reopen? (edit: it is open now) I would love to have some Space Age gear at the launch

Anima117
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anima117 »

ikkiG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:38 am
Wait are those... laser turrets in the middle of the base on gleba? Among a number of launch sites aka the location that would probably be very important to defend and as such - likely far away from the defensive perimiter?
ss_01fc7bc3f9a2024a15be6165ab4de1081cff57ce.jpg
Now mind you, none of the other Gleba screenshots have anything like that so maybe its just me trying too hard to cook, but wouldn't it be interesting if the surprise of Gleba enemies wasn't that they just had different sprites but rather that... I don't know, they had ways to circumvent the conventional boring perimiter wall to force us to change that up? In the same way a lot of other new mechanics try to force you to reconsider the standartised approaches to everything, like spoilage punishing huge buffers and long spread out production lines and etc? Because otherwise, what would be the point of having defenses so deep into what seems to be a very well established factory?
Some people already talked about it, but if it has to counter a creature, my guess would be either burrowing creatures (But I would guess not, as it would then either get out under your factory, which would be unfun, or you would be able to control where it comes out by having no buildings in specific zones, which also seem unfun to me as it would be easy to counter).
Or more likely, a creature that can fly, and / or maybe targets specific buildings? Like a creature that by default is not mean, but gets attracted to the scent of gleba science for example, and would thus harass these structures? I do wonder if the old picture of that space brain-jellyfish-like creature is still something that exists today, or if it remained a concept.

Cerberus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cerberus »

Just to be clear. I have bought the GOG version of the base game a few years ago. I registered an account on the website, and that account says I have membership for "Retail", so I can download the full version.
I can, in a few months, just buy the expansion from the Factorio website? Bypassing GOG. Seems better for the developers, and it is DRM free already anyway. But I want to know for sure "base game bought on GOG + expansion bought on website" is going to work.

wildburn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wildburn »

Will this work on all platforms the game is on now? switch and mac specifically? Or is it a separate installer

adambyte
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by adambyte »

Signal-boosting what others have asked: (when) will the expansion be on GOG? Edit: and the same for 2.0.

Saiph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saiph »

"Price will be $35, same as the base version of the game".
Er, what??? :o You mean this isn't really an "expansion" in the usual sense. We have to buy a full-priced second game.
Thank you for rewarding our loyalty to you. Not.

And, the elevated rails which are NOT an expansion feature (they are a 2.0 upgrade to the base game) will NOT be in 2.0, they're ONLY going to be in the new game? That's devious and dishonest. :evil:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Saiph wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:08 pm
Er, what??? :o You mean this isn't really an "expansion" in the usual sense. We have to buy a full-priced second game.

And, the elevated rails which are NOT an expansion feature (they are a 2.0 upgrade to the base game) will NOT be in 2.0, they're ONLY going to be in the new game? That's devious and dishonest. :evil:
Or maybe you want more free stuff because ... why would there be any free stuff anyways ? The devs owe the owners of the 1.1 version nothing, they have already delivered what we have paid for. Yet, you gain free of charge a fair amount of QoL, which is neat. Wube are no the only ones to do that, but nobody has ever been compelled to add free stuff on top of what has already been paid and delivered.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245620/ELDEN_RING/ base game 42€ (at the moment), expansion 40€. Yeah, sure the price is vastly different. Alternatively, if you consider the expansion is not worth your money, you can also not buy it. There is nothing dishonest about that.

We were already rewarded for our loyalty with the 1.1 release.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Necronium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Necronium »

Saiph wrote:
Elevated Rails arent part of 2.0. They are Expansion feature and are unlocked by buying DLC

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Saiph wrote:

I mean... every opinion is legit, but if you think about it the effort put in the this expansion is similar. Yes the development time is shorter, but there are more people working on it now.

Regarding the elevated rails... the thing is that we don't really need them in vanilla. Ok, I can easily imagine that Wube first decided there would be elevated rails and only then they designed new planets so that elevated rails are needed. But in the end does it really matter for us?

A game feature without a practival use case is not really interesting gameplay wise. Have you ever played an RTS with a useless unit or a FPS with a useless weapon? Does that feature really matter? Or on the opposite side of the spectrum, an RTS where a single unit rules them all / FPS where a single weapon own all enemies? Boring... And btw they confirmed they are supported as official mod, in case you run other mods where they are nice to have.

This deal is about having good time for the bucks solving puzzles. Imho what they offer it's reasonable, even factoring the obvious fanboysm that ofc affects all of us here.

Mikrotherion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mikrotherion »

This news got me really excited, although I haven't played seriously in ages - due to a lack of interest by my friends with whom I used to play.
Nevertheless, this DLC is an instant buy.

@Salph
If you put it that way... the expansion costs as much as the original game, it sounds bad. Especially if you are not an avid Factorio player.
However, when you look at it as currency/hours of fun, you'll find out that going to the cinema, going out to eat... is much more expensive. Unless you don't play Factorio for more than about 2h anyway.

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Do we know what hour and timezone the expansion releases on? I find it entertaining to put countdowns to games on my phone screens, and I enjoy the absurdity of counting hours if possible. "102" days is just not as entertaining as "101 days, XX hours, XX minutes".

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

morsk wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:26 am
Do we know what hour and timezone the expansion releases on? I find it entertaining to put countdowns to games on my phone screens, and I enjoy the absurdity of counting hours if possible. "102" days is just not as entertaining as "101 days, XX hours, XX minutes".
I'd guess 1PM CEST, since that's the time the FFF releases at.

Zaag
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zaag »

morsk wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:26 am
Very curious about this as well!

bigbear2nd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bigbear2nd »

husnikadam wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:02 am
What about merch? Will merch store reopen? (edit: it is open now) I would love to have some Space Age gear at the launch
Cool, thanks for noticing! I was waiting for them to reopen, just ordered 2 T-Shirts. 8-)

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

(REMOVED: I now agree that elevated rails should stay in the expansion, since the new new rails will make my tran-stations easier without elevated rails.)
Last edited by AileTheAlien on Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Dmytrozern wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:15 pm
New light? New combinator? Wi-fi router? I don't even want to know coz I'd love to play whole expansion without spoilers, but can't help myself with not reading FFF.
I think the FFF 419 could spoil part of the mystery, if one couldn't help reading it, it may be too late already but in case , it seem related.

Stalinlover22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stalinlover22 »

So excited! Can´t wait to October .

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

I'm also very excited ans can't wait for October.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

Lord Bumbleton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lord Bumbleton »

Do I spy with my little eye the final planet’s science pack?
Attachments
IMG_3140.jpeg
IMG_3140.jpeg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 689 times

Lord Bumbleton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lord Bumbleton »

Saiph wrote:
What does Wube owe you specifically? It’s basically a full game, of course it’s gonna be priced like a game. And why does loyalty matter? This isn’t a subscription, you bought the game, you have the game, and if you want you can add more to the game. That’s why it’s called an expansion.

Return to “News”