Friday Facts #428 - Reactor & Logistics circuit control

Regular reports on Factorio development.
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #428 - Reactor & Logistics circuit control

Post by mmmPI »

XT-248 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:37 pm
Those examples do not fulfill what I wanted to do precisely and often are overcomplicated unnecessarily.
:lol: Don't even look at what people did with trains then x)

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:20 pm
Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:37 pm
Those examples do not fulfill what I wanted to do precisely and often are overcomplicated unnecessarily.
:lol: Don't even look at what people did with trains then x)
Okay.

I said it before, and someone didn't listen.

I have already tried and haven't found a solution (even with trains and splitters/belts), but a new feature is coming, either with patch 2.0 or Space Age DLC. I might be able to do something.

I wanted to show my excitement for the upcoming feature.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:46 pm

I have already tried and haven't found a solution (even with trains and splitters/belts), but a new feature is coming, either with patch 2.0 or Space Age DLC. I might be able to do something.
I was under the impression that you said it was impossible to do because you failed at it while ignoring the "complicated" setup that exist ilustrating that it is in fact possible to create logic gate without electricity. I'm glad the misunderstanding is dispelled.

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:23 am
Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:46 pm

I was under the impression that you said it was impossible to do because you failed at it while ignoring the "complicated" setup that exist ilustrating that it is in fact possible to create logic gate without electricity. I'm glad the misunderstanding is dispelled.
I am telling you. It can not be done because it is not yet Oct 21st, 2024, and it relies on a new feature that is unreleased before then.

I am not ignoring the other solutions because they have drawbacks or issues that make it impossible to use them.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:19 pm
I am telling you. It can not be done because it is not yet Oct 21st, 2024, and it relies on a new feature that is unreleased before then.
I am not ignoring the other solutions because they have drawbacks or issues that make it impossible to use them.
I thought you were ignoring working solutions because they were too complicated x)

Hopefully you can make your simple version, the (currently-broken) way you envisionned it, hopefully you will share it too it will be very interesting x)

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:12 pm
Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:19 pm
I thought you were ignoring working solutions because they were too complicated x)

Hopefully you can make your simple version, the (currently-broken) way you envisionned it, hopefully you will share it too it will be very interesting x)
I don't need to hope. I know it can be done.

JackTheSpades
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JackTheSpades »

A bit late to the party but is there any chance we could also hook up labs to the logistic network. The main thing I'd be interested in is getting the time per research unit. I usually build my lab setup such that it works for the 60s/unit as that is the highest value so if I randomly get faster research (e.g. because of mods or research that I've been putting off for later) it tends to burn through my buffers and trigger any potential "chest empty" alarms I might have set up.
For example, I could just disable the belts to 1/4 of my labs if I could read that the current research only requires 45s/unit. Or disable the inserters when using a sushi belt supply.

Any other data would be more of a "while you're at it" kinda thing. Like reading the completion percentage or the total amount of science/units needed. Could be neat for building custom progress bars with lights.
Maybe also the required sciences per unit. Can't think of any actual application but could be neat to maybe set filters? Also some mods have uneven science requirements (e.g. requiring two bottles of red and one of green per unit) so perhaps those could make use of that data.

tl;dr reading science labs data would be neat and I don't think there would be any downsides to having them?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:52 pm
I don't need to hope. I know it can be done.
I meant it for me too, i hope you share it nonetheless, because it's harder to share a vision that cannot be done in the game, it's like the vision was flawed or something x). I could see some splitter logic gate without using electricity on reddit, but i hope i will be able to understand the differences with the simpler version you plan to make once the game allow your vision to be realized.

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

The information is out there for all to piece together.

No, I will not share the idea before testing it.

If people want to start looking or figuring it out for themselves, start with this blog content and the pseudo-code I posted earlier.

Code: Select all

If( SteamFluid < Large_Steam_Number_Here & Nuclear_Reactor_Has_Less_Than_One_Fuel_Cell & Heat_Level < 750 & Time_Since_Last_Inserted > 200 seconds)

Then enable_fuel_cell_inserter_to_move_one_fuel_cell_to_nuclear_reactor

No belt or train since I might use logistic chests only to move fuel cells for nuclear reactors.

As an aside, I have no further desire to talk with someone of such a reputation, who distorts what other people are saying to something other than what it is (see the conversation in the #427 thread).

Return to β€œNews”