Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Regular reports on Factorio development.
PapaDrom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Post by PapaDrom »

The 'DLC' isn't a stand alone game at $35 though right? Anyone who becomes interested based on these features would have to buy both titles together for $70? - and if they do - would they than need to successfully launch a rocket in order to access the Space Age part of the game? I've played the game a lot in my opinion but I never seem to play into the end game on each of my play sessions, I've never launched a rocket. Would it even make sense to invest in Space Age if I never technically got through the initial game. I don't really mind the price of the game since I know the developers are elite tier and that this won't even be the end of it, so much more to come! Love this team.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

PapaDrom wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:10 am
Would it even make sense to invest in Space Age if I never technically got through the initial game.
Rocket launches will be way earlier and cheaper with the expansion, if it's for you will depend on if the features interest you.

Nidan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nidan »

The 'DLC' isn't a stand alone game at $35 though right? Anyone who becomes interested based on these features would have to buy both titles together for $70?
Such a person should, in my opinion, first try the demo, then the base game and only then consider the expansion.
would they than need to successfully launch a rocket in order to access the Space Age part of the game?
In a way. The way to get into space is rockets, but with Space Age active they'll be blue science; see the middle of FFF 381 and the second question of FFF 382.

PapaDrom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PapaDrom »

Nidan wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:42 am
The 'DLC' isn't a stand alone game at $35 though right? Anyone who becomes interested based on these features would have to buy both titles together for $70?
Such a person should, in my opinion, first try the demo, then the base game and only then consider the expansion.
would they than need to successfully launch a rocket in order to access the Space Age part of the game?
In a way. The way to get into space is rockets, but with Space Age active they'll be blue science; see the middle of FFF 381 and the second question of FFF 382.
talking sense here - that would totally be the way to go
will do! Thanks for the insight!

kullero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kullero »

how about the gog release? Will new space age game release on gog as dlc. Or do I have to get it on steam, and buy basic game again in full price? Or can I transfer my game from gog to steam and get the new space age addong game dlc thing?

SkerrittT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SkerrittT »

RocketManChronicles wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:09 pm
SkerrittT wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:02 pm
Factorio: Space Age will also coincide with the release of Factorio version 2.0 .... well damn... thats pretty exciting.

Factorio version 2 will be a great improvement in itself. How will I be able to split my time between version 2 and Factorio: Space Age ? ..... what a wonderful problem to have.
Do you even know the difference between Factorio: Space Age and Factorio 2.0? Factorio: Space Age is Factorio 2.0 plus all the new space and planet content. Factorio 2.0 is basically Factorio 1.1 plus new Quality of Life features. Playing Factorio: Space Age means you have ALL the content.
How nice of you to so very politely reply.
Even though you don't understand what I wrote.

Vorador_Surtr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vorador_Surtr »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:22 am
Will you be selling on GOG too?
I sincerely hope expansion will be available on GOG too. I bought the game on GOG.com and I want to buy the expansion too. If it is steam available only - it is no-go. Steam does not allow dlc to be purchased alone anyway... Please take my money - and sell it to us on GOG! :!: :!: :!:

Lamerake_69
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lamerake_69 »

xtmq wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:41 pm
For Russia it will be 35*6 I guess? :)
the main thing is not to get the inscription "This product is not available in your region" on the dlc page on October 21 in Steam

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Just a reminder for people who only read the most recent posts:

7th (this monday) = Me making this Post
14th (next monday) = Embargo Lift for the Press and Youtubers
21st (the following monday) = Release of the Space Expansion
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

SmugLookingBarrel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SmugLookingBarrel »

Comes out on the first day of Reading Week.
I'll certainly be doing a lot of reading.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

I wonder if any of those spoiling 'content creators' has the balls to do a proper review of Space Age, including a x/10 rating. So far I have not seen a single video I want to watch because all of them are only just spoilers, why would I just want to see someone else, with inferior skill ofc, playing and spoiling the game for me?

Another thing I notice is the few videos that have no spoilers and explain mostly 2.0 stuff are very reluctant on voicing a opinion. These youtubers act like they are going to with a click bait title but they don't actually answer the question they put up there.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Panzerknacker wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:15 pm
I wonder if any of those spoiling 'content creators' has the balls to do a proper review of Space Age, including a x/10 rating. So far I have not seen a single video I want to watch because all of them are only just spoilers, why would I just want to see someone else, with inferior skill ofc, playing and spoiling the game for me?

Another thing I notice is the few videos that have no spoilers and explain mostly 2.0 stuff are very reluctant on voicing a opinion. These youtubers act like they are going to with a click bait title but they don't actually answer the question they put up there.

OK I'm going to try the hard exercise of making a review of a video game, and not any video game, the most anticipated video game ever in history of video game ,and there's been many video game and anticipation around video game just less or not as intense as for the expansion Space Age of Factorio.

Note that i will try to maintain the delicate finesse necessary to avoid spoiling anything. And i'm saying "hard exercice" here for the apparent contradiction of trying to talk to you about the excitment i feel about playing a game while respecting your desire to not have anything spoiled. I think this is what you mean by "having the balls", which i'm more used to call a "bubble" where one could stay without anything that could get in and perturb the naive enthusiam that anyone would feel while perambulating in new area that i don't wanna take the risk to mention anything about for fear of being tagged "spoiling content creator".

Anyway, those mysterious area are numerous and interesting, which you will have the extraordinary pleasure to discover by yourself, most likely, after you've done a few things. Those things that you may or may not need to do, before the other things that are offered in the expansion, and that i don't want to spoil anything about are new, puzzling, rewarding, tickling curiosity, i think also with lots of depths, and it's quite the re-invention of some of the basic principle of Factorio, while staying true to the Factorio spirit of Factorio. which i really like in this expansion and is worth a solid 9/7 to me.

Of course there's that, but it's not the only novelty that i enjoyed a lot, that would only correspond to the first part, the second part is more how you feel when you play, i think this is also well done , i can't really go in full detail, so i'm just going to say that i felt good while playing and probably other player will feel good while playing if they felt good while playing the original Factorio. It feels like adding some extra factorio to the factory in a way. There's a bit of new things that felt non-factorio at first, but after some time playing they feel more factorio. And you don't really have to spend time on it, that's pretty nice i found, many of the things are optionnal or have alternatives, versatility, which made me feel smarter than i really am when i thought i found something that was in fact cleverly left for players to find by devs. Totally worth 12/5

My opinion is very favourable, but people say i was a fanboy already before, so i could just argue that it's only when you like something that you can feel bad about it, if you really like something it makes you super strict about it, it's no joke, super serious business, the most serious of the serious business if i can say so, and the slightiest mistake or malfunction can be considered a terrible tragedy. This could be further super inflated by the young age of the people playing the video game that may like me sometimes behave like "spoiled kid" hahaha, and throw a tantrum for no reason at all. That could have been the case for several reason that i've seen many people say things like "i'm not going to buy the expansion because of this or this or that". Which i can't emphasize enough is something that could have happen to anyone over-attached to a video game. But this is not the case with the Space Age I'm here trying to review the expansion and give some ratings, like 10/10/10 ! as if was pure joy.

If you're still not convinced because you don't know my skill level i made a little montage showing how i drive the tank in my base, things that every old player knows is one of the hardest things in the game, it's not just to flex my driving, please see it as the most i could show without spoiling to still be taken seriously as a factorio player.
BEWARE SPOILER IF YOU CLICK THIS is a video of me driving tank thru my Nauvis Late Game Mall
Attachments
automated door.mp4
(459.02 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

arrowcircle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arrowcircle »

Any way to preorder/get it earlier?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

arrowcircle wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:09 pm
Any way to preorder/get it earlier?
No :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:12 pm
..But this is not the case with the Space Age I'm here trying to review the expansion and give some ratings, like 10/10/10 ! as if was pure joy...
LMAO, nice try. Hard for me to make sense of what you mean tho. But yeah, writing a proper review without spoilers is not easy, I used to read this magazine 'PC Gameplay' back when I was a teenager, they were pretty good at it. They also had the balls to slam hard ratings on games and they were good at that also, if it sucked it sucked, if it pwnd then it did. Only way to keep your credibility tho. Highest score ever was Crysis with a 9.4, well deserved imo.

Nice try but I don't take your stuff seriously like that haha.

Tiaronus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tiaronus »

I don't know if someone already said this but - I think it's a crime that release date is Monday...
Should have been either 18th or 25th

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Tiaronus wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:57 am
I don't know if someone already said this but - I think it's a crime that release date is Monday...
And you'd have to wait the whole week end without playing in case of game breaking bug. Remember : the devs also deserve week ends.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tiaronus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tiaronus »

Koub wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:17 am
Tiaronus wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:57 am
And you'd have to wait the whole week end without playing in case of game breaking bug. Remember : the devs also deserve week ends.
As a dev myself in case of major releases my schedule changes to 24/7 for several days, so I don't see any problems xD
In fact, I'll have to wait to next weekend to play it. It's a bad idea to run Factorio on working days.

"5 more minutes aaaaaaand it's sunrise" :D :D :D

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

That's actually a nice day to release.
Monday so no mid-weekend hotfixes.
Week after Ubuntu 24.10 release so no unexpected "drat, they've removed %SOMETHING% and we have to rebuild the Linux build to account for that".
Ten days before Halloween so ghost cosplayers will be able to both get pale enough and play DLC enough at the same time before the celebration.
I believe in our regions' schools the Fall vacations are still in late October - so youth will gonna have a chance to learn while they take a rest from learning...

CheeseMcBurger
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

Monday is a terrible day to release a game like Factorio. How am I expected to put in 8 hours of efficient quality work, when I have to think all day about how badly I want to build a new factory? And then again on Tuesday, and then again on Wednesday and on Thursday until finally on Friday evening I can just dive in. I wanna start tomorrow and just keep building until sunday night. :o

Koub wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:17 am
I'm sure the game will be perfect and will not need any patches over the weekend. Release early, release tomorrow, lets gooooo :D

Return to β€œNews”