Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #418 - Space Age release date

Post by Drury »

FasterJump wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:44 pm
Hype!

It looks like the last planet will necessitate the inclusion of lights in our blueprints. Since it will be dark, I anticipate a planet with an ocean (because we already had fire, air, earth themed planets) and dark land patches. Maybe a metallic planet like Core Prime? I don't think that there will be snow, but that would have been cool. Maybe underwater machines? No I know, this will be an archipelago planet! Would be great if we can construct a "magnifier glass" space platform to make it bright during the day.

Infinite iron and copper sources (from lava) have been confirmed, but what about stone and other resource types?
I think there might be snow actually, based solely on this one screenshot from a while ago

image_2024-07-06_043120795.png
image_2024-07-06_043120795.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2109 times

then again, there probably won't be christmas tree rockets, so who knows

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Drury wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:32 am
Hype!

It looks like the last planet will necessitate the inclusion of lights in our blueprints. Since it will be dark, I anticipate a planet with an ocean (because we already had fire, air, earth themed planets) and dark land patches. Maybe a metallic planet like Core Prime? I don't think that there will be snow, but that would have been cool. Maybe underwater machines? No I know, this will be an archipelago planet! Would be great if we can construct a "magnifier glass" space platform to make it bright during the day.

Infinite iron and copper sources (from lava) have been confirmed, but what about stone and other resource types?
I think there might be snow actually, based solely on this one screenshot from a while ago

image_2024-07-06_043120795.png

then again, there probably won't be christmas tree rockets, so who knows
It was mentioned previously that snow was created specifically for that screenshot (I want to say "hand painted", but I don't have the quote available).

That said, considering they mentioned the last planet was "the furthest planet from the sun so it's dark and cold" (emphasis mine), that supports the idea of an ice world of some sort in combination with the other water theme hints that have been dropped. So there likely won't be underwater anything, or as another poster was theorizing, waves.

Stone is also an infinite resource: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-387
Lava is used as a resource, and processed in the Foundry into molten iron and copper, with stone as a byproduct. The planet has no natural stone/iron ore/copper ore deposits as a result.
And uranium practically already is. :D
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

MeduSalem wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:01 pm
I would guess there will be some really hacky conversion scripts to maintain 1.1 compatibility for base save games (without expansion).

But I would also guess that there will be some quirks involved.

What I think will be totally unavoidable is that the terrain generation of existing saves will be broken and that you will get a noticeable break-line where the 1.1 terrain generation was still used and where the 2.0 terrain generation will be used. Because that was always the case in the past as well when they changed the terrain generation algorithm.

And what I also assume is that if you get the expansion and want to play with all that stuff without even more quirks that you will have to start a new save regardless. (which would be the best any way, like with any other game when there is such a major update/expansion)
Avezo wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:42 pm
Guessing all old saves will no longer work in new dlc?
The expansion will work as a mod on the base game. The game will be updated to 2.0, meaning quality of life and necessary system changes, like fluids 2.0, but otherwise will remain like it is now. So for those who do not have the expansion, the recipes in game will not change. Your factory now will still work as you designed it, better even, in 2.0.

Those with the expansion, will likely find many things breaking down. Why they recommended when the expansion hits that you start with a new game. If you really want to keep your existing factory, and don't mind the cleanup, I see no reason why you couldn't revamp an existing save once expansion lands.

Dylan J. McGrann
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dylan J. McGrann »

Sam Loser2 wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:43 pm
What is the plan for the Switch version? Will it get Space Age the same day, later, or has that yet to be decided?
I’d like to know an update if there is one, but last time they addressed it a few months ago, they said they would look into it after Space Age is complete for PC. They were also skeptical it could work for the Switch as the DLC does call for more memory, which is a huge challenge for Switch as it is. But at the time they did not want to rule it out fully just yet.

NorwegianVIking
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NorwegianVIking »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:05 am
Drury wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:32 am
Hype!

That said, considering they mentioned the last planet was "the furthest planet from the sun so it's dark and cold" (emphasis mine), that supports the idea of an ice world of some sort in combination with the other water theme hints that have been dropped. So there likely won't be underwater anything, or as another poster was theorizing, waves.
This makes me think of Jupiters moon Europa. Dark and cold on the icy surface but with a large ocean underneath. Could even be life there.

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

THIS answers the question whether the ground storage expanders can be inserter accessed!
Attachments
Screenshot_20240706_095248.png
Screenshot_20240706_095248.png (231.89 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

ikkiG wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:38 am
I don't know, they had ways to circumvent the conventional boring perimiter wall to force us to change that up? I
I will unironically refund, if I will have no way of dealing with random spawns inside of my perimeter. It's not a fun mechanic in any way.
Same as random breakdowns, a lot of players with micro bases wish for.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Dragon_0_0_0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dragon_0_0_0 »

will there be a beta version before official release for the creators?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

GregoriusT wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:54 am
THIS answers the question whether the ground storage expanders can be inserter accessed!
Ah Yes nice !

Wait No ! maybe those inserters were placed there by mistake and cannot function, it's only a picture, it would need to be a video where they are in action to conclude positively without any doubt :D
Terrahertz wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:30 pm
No Problem, the answer was confusing me a bit, as you answered "Yes" to "Do the same restrictions apply: No inserters on the extenders (maybe that name is more clear)"
That screenshot is neither confirming nor denying anything. Just because they do not extract something from an extender does not mean it's not possible.
My bad really, i answered too quickly, i think the screenshot posted by GregoriusT is more illustrating for what you were wondering about : insterters WILL be able to take from the landing pads and their extensions. (most likely , unless the whole screenshot is a hoax , which is very unlikely but we never know :D )
aka13 wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:45 am
ikkiG wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:38 am
I don't know, they had ways to circumvent the conventional boring perimiter wall to force us to change that up? I
I will unironically refund, if I will have no way of dealing with random spawns inside of my perimeter. It's not a fun mechanic in any way.
Same as random breakdowns, a lot of players with micro bases wish for.
I think even in vanilla you still have ways of dealing with random spawn, ( like placing wall in every single free tile to block spawn or turrets in every production lane to wipe them as they appear)

But i've started playing with this mod : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BREAM

and it's made around new ways to deal with random spawn which is "light" and "lamps"

I had played with a mod that allowed biters to swim in the past, and had to put defense all around my islands instead of having "1 perimeter".

All in all i think it offers interesting challenges that i would recommend for players that like deathworld, and was surprised to read it could be cause of refund, as i enjoy this quite a lot whereas usually i prefer peaceful because i found biters "boring" after some times.

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Having Turrets in the middle of the Base does not mean Mobs spawn inside the Base, it might be a problem of "there is water to the side of that area, and some mobs fly over it, and its a hassle to build a wall there"

Edit: oops already answered above. xD
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Necronium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Necronium »

Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:32 pm
Necronium wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:46 pm
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:24 pm
fly wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:21 pm
Still disappointed with the whole Quality thing. I recall in the original FFF, where it was introduced, there was information about an option to disable Quality altogether. Hopefully, this is still the case. Another thing I'd like to disable is faster belts and stackable items on belts, as I see these as lazy gimmicks rather than improvements to the game.

Overall, though, I'm glad to know the release date now!
These will likely be separate mods that you can enable/disable when playing base 2.0, but I recall reading somewhere that Space Age itself was going to have a required dependency on everything.
Quality is required to play SA cause it has recycler in it which is needed for SA, but "Quality" itself is optional. Dont like it? You dont have to use it and play entire game just fine
Not what I was discussing.
Loewchen wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:29 pm
Still disappointed with the whole Quality thing. I recall in the original FFF, where it was introduced, there was information about an option to disable Quality altogether. Hopefully, this is still the case. Another thing I'd like to disable is faster belts and stackable items on belts, as I see these as lazy gimmicks rather than improvements to the game.

These will likely be separate mods that you can enable/disable when playing base 2.0, but I recall reading somewhere that Space Age itself was going to have a required dependency on everything.
Here: viewtopic.php?p=612269#p612269
Thanks!!

From the second answer that is almost the same as mine (didnt provide dev answer) it looks funny. As for Quality being optional it was more directed to "fly" post

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

Just like people have been doing with logistics bots, all you have to do is just not use them if you think they're lame.

OldFart
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by OldFart »

jackthesmack wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:52 am

Just like people have been doing with logistics bots, all you have to do is just not use them if you think they're lame.
It's like with stealth archer build (Viva La Dirt League). If it is effective players will use it.
Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game.
TBH, I like quality. I want to have options for vertical growth. I don't like the randomness aspect.
On the other side, I can't imagine any less boring way of doing it. If the process of getting higher quality items is not chance-based - it is equivalent to just adding the next tier of existing things, e.g. assembling machine 4, assembling machine 5 and so on
Although, I'll probably prefer anything to chance-based mechanic

redladi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by redladi »

Just let me pre-order it already!

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

GregoriusT wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:58 am
Having Turrets in the middle of the Base does not mean Mobs spawn inside the Base, it might be a problem of "there is water to the side of that area, and some mobs fly over it, and its a hassle to build a wall there"

Edit: oops already answered above. xD
Could mean either, so long as we don't have information. If you would have asked me a year ago, if I could imagine factorio having rare or legendary items, I'd have said "no way". Not in a bad "no way"-way, but rather in "I can't imagine how that would play and fit in".

If it's an attack vector, that can be pushed back, that's of course interesting/fun gameplay.

If it's an "environmental hazard", like the thunderstorms, it's at best meh. I still don't see how it will be fun having to cover every meter of railway with a special anti-lightning pole. Sounds pretty unfun to me :D
mmmPI wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:29 am

I think even in vanilla you still have ways of dealing with random spawn, ( like placing wall in every single free tile to block spawn or turrets in every production lane to wipe them as they appear)
No, victory-poling was a stupid mechanic, and it got removed quite a while ago. You can't deny expansion nowadays, not without artillery nuking the spawned spawners. I find a long wall to be easier to expand, and to service, compared to small turreted outposts. You just don't have to worry about accidental supply line cuts, or trains stopped by expansion parties. It's just not viable, if your train has to drive at least 5 minutes to reach the outpost to risk the rails/power infrastructure.

Mobs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mobs »

Would be great if I we could send you money already. I mean, preordering is bad, but only if you are not absolutely sure that developers would create a banger. I have that certainty, Wube.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:06 pm
No, victory-poling was a stupid mechanic, and it got removed quite a while ago. You can't deny expansion nowadays, not without artillery nuking the spawned spawners. I find a long wall to be easier to expand, and to service, compared to small turreted outposts. You just don't have to worry about accidental supply line cuts, or trains stopped by expansion parties. It's just not viable, if your train has to drive at least 5 minutes to reach the outpost to risk the rails/power infrastructure.
Not sure what you call "victory-poling".

I think we misunderstood each other, i meant that currently with vanilla game "tech", you could deny expansion if there was some biters "spawning" in random location (added by a mod) , by adapting your factory to not let any tile "free" for spawn or placing lasers inside the base. I meant vanilla asset only availble for defense but extra challenge from the biters could still be "done" ( you think it wouldn't be fun ?).

The mod i mentionned is meant to add those biters spawning randomly, but it adds a tech onto the vanilla one, in a way, to alleviate the extra challenge, it's not just biters poping out randomly and player have no control and need to mindlessly put turret everywhere. Instead , players can use lamps, and the extra random spawn occurs only in darkness. So it adds a new "unpredicatbility" thing, but also a way to tame it. ( that must be more fun than previous no ? if i understood your complain properly the fact that it's not "random" but "light/lamp" based makes its a "mechanic to play with " and not just "random punishment" ).

Currently with the vanilla game not counting modded additions, i agree with you about the long wall being easier to defend.

I don't know why there are turrets in the screenshot though, what i'm talking about is not the "most likely" explanations for me. It would be that i placed turret there, and then expanded my base beyond previous perimeter and left the turret out of lazyness. But if it is because of a particular threat that there are visible on the screenshot, i had hypothesis that i thought would be "fun" , instead of making one think of refund, especially if one play a lot of deathworld already ;)

Biters are still the great unknown for the expansions :D

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:41 am
Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:32 pm
Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Quality is required to play SA cause it has recycler in it which is needed for SA, but "Quality" itself is optional. Dont like it? You dont have to use it and play entire game just fine
Not what I was discussing.
Loewchen wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:29 pm

Here: viewtopic.php?p=612269#p612269
Thanks!!

From the second answer that is almost the same as mine (didnt provide dev answer) it looks funny. As for Quality being optional it was more directed to "fly" post
The difference was you had to add in the extra "it's optional because you can choose not to use it" bit. Aside from the fact that I happen to fundamentally disagree with this, it also was not what I was bringing up (nor do I want to discuss, so please don't). If that bit was meant for fly, then you should have broken it out separate and even directly quoted them instead of having your answer to me lead directly to that extra piece.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:03 pm
Not sure what you call "victory-poling".
Funny, that you don't remember. In the old days, you crafted a bunch of wooden poles when starting out, and run circles around your base, placing them down. I think it was 5x5 chunk area around a building, where biter expansion would not happen, so you could effectively remove expansion around your starting area without any military tech.

I think we misunderstood each other,
Yeah, I totally missed your point. I thought you were referring to the state of things as it currently is in vanilla.
( you think it wouldn't be fun ?)
Well, I think it would be a very mechanical challenge. Create a grid blueprint, and stamp it down everywhere. With walls at least you can have a go at automation, expasion, layout planning, and all the other fun stuff. Iterative blueprints and the like.
players can use lamps
Where I come back to the victory-pole thing. You basically simply have to place a grid of items via a blueprint, and deny spawn.

And I am really looking foward to it, I have high hopes for them as well :D

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:16 pm
Funny, that you don't remember. In the old days, you crafted a bunch of wooden poles when starting out, and run circles around your base, placing them down. I think it was 5x5 chunk area around a building, where biter expansion would not happen, so you could effectively remove expansion around your starting area without any military tech.
I couldn't remember because i have not practiced that technique and didn't know it was a thing, only learning about it now . I never needed it 8-)

Really when i started playing it was also on peaceful mode, i'm no deathworld player, more like railworld, i only added biters when i thought i could handle them easily after learning the things like train signal and robot logic which took me months !

Well, I think it would be a very mechanical challenge. Create a grid blueprint, and stamp it down everywhere. With walls at least you can have a go at automation, expasion, layout planning, and all the other fun stuff. Iterative blueprints and the like.
Where I come back to the victory-pole thing. You basically simply have to place a grid of items via a blueprint, and deny spawn.
Well i also added expensive receipe and other somewhat "masochist" mods, which makes the early game "slow", so i am not yet into this stage, it makes the early game much different, it may take me 8 hours to get access to trains or so, maybe 30 or more before i have access to robots for constructions, so there has already been quite some nights where i feel under attack and have to stop my usual building train of thought to go into full defense mode and add lamps here and there where i forgot and manually add ammo to turrets. Usually for me the only time day and night matter is mid game when i go full solar and i don't have it automated yet for robot to self expand.

I don't think i will be playing this game much more after the 1rst rocket, i may have to reload several time to manage that rocket launch because it's quite easy to have your spawn protection overwhelmed and then get camped by biters, i don't have access to flame or laser so if at night a spawn kill me it can happen that this spawn of biters is inside my "factory" and follow me to my spawn position, rekt whatever is there and wait for me to revive. (i just have turret a bit everywhere not yet wall access) , i do a lot of "pausing" for "thinking" to be efficient and not waste game time to evolution, which i would never do in vanilla game x).

I think i have settings that are beatable, that was my only concern when doing them, is it possible to still launch a rocket with that ? not really "how silly would it make my late game base look like and the post rocket part of it". I suppose you are correct, that this is how i will end up doing, or the general logic, the mod include settings to make some concrete tile also able to block spawn, so that offers a choice with lamps and some question about efficency, but i won't be trying to solve them, i am doing lamps now because it's the only thing i have access to that can help. I think i will be required to stamp copys of things due to expensive receipe, but usually i'm more of a micro factory guy or minimalist design :)
And I am really looking foward to it, I have high hopes for them as well :D
I hesitated to send PM thinking this is off topic, but i thought many players must have high hopes for biters, which are not identical, the game experience i just described is me trying something new after thousands of hours of playing. I don't think me enjoying this as modded game would mean i appreciate it being in the expansion at this level of "difficulty". or "for every game". But now that i think of it i feel like this is going to apply to every new biters, at first i will think "oh noo that makes the game more warfare-oriented" while thinking at the same time "it sounds great for 1 game". And then when playing the 2nd and 3rd i will get used to it and no longer feel that it makes the game more warfare oriented. I also mean, if the ennemy looks very difficult it has the risk of looking like not-fun and a pain to deal with, but at the same time if not, it will look too easy and trivial. And different players would appreciate the two diferently. Some would like some "very difficult ennemy" some wouldn't like that. And even later in game, those same biters shown, will be felt differently by players, i suppose some would find it fun and hard, or not fun and hard, or fun and easy, or not fun and easy ....

I think i will need a few games to be sure of my opinion and somehow i don't mind that :)

Return to β€œNews”