Friday Facts #414 - Spoils of Agriculture

Regular reports on Factorio development.
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #414 - Spoils of Agriculture

Post by mmmPI »

Artarise wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:03 pm
Well.. but the case is that all biological products in our factory will rot evetually, unlike cotton, co why not treat them as food and freeze? Food for the machine god.
I don't think this is correct, wood or fish weren't announced to spoil over time. And although you could freeze fish ( animal product & food) it make no sense to me to put some wood in the freezer ^^ ( plant & not food ).

Plus i am not convinced a hidden random freshness is a good idea. To me it serve no other purpose than defeating the purpose of the spoilage mechanic in the first place. I think it is like opening a window to get cool air, while at the some time cranking up the heat, to have hot air. Introducing the whole mechanic just for people to instead use freezer like they could use current mod that put item in box seem very counterproductive, there will already be the "stacking on belt" mechanic that serve this purpose.

Cyclonut
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyclonut »

Love the Gleba resource management. With respect to Spoilage, you have three methods, but the most real life practical one used in farming, composting it, was not mentioned/realized. Maybe you can convert it into compost, which then can be used as a heat source in cold greenhouses, or a land fill to increase productivity.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Cyclonut wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:24 am
With respect to Spoilage, you have three methods, but the most real life practical one used in farming, composting it, was not mentioned/realized.
I think the 3rd method, "create nutrients", is the game's abstraction of just that.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Cyclonut wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:24 am
you have three methods, but the most real life practical one used in farming, composting it, was not mentioned/realized. Maybe you can convert it into compost, which then can be used as a heat source in cold greenhouses, or a land fill to increase productivity.
The FFF i think mention the different (in game) methods :
That's why spoilage exists, and we have multiple methods to get rid of it - you can burn it, waste it in a recycler, or create nutrients that are already half-spoilt.
The nutrient part is similar to using compost as land fill to increase producivity, it's not landfill to cover water, more like fertilizer.
mmmPI wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:54 am
illustrating for me how rotten spoiled and stinky mess can turn into fertile compost
The heat souce is more questionnable i suppose, because compost is not "burnt" to extract "heat" for cold greenhouses, but from gameplay logic, it make sense that "burning" is a mechanism that gets rid of it and provide "heat".

Edit : Fury was faster ... ^^

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Lets introduce the fridge wagon ! :idea: :idea: :idea:

If a fridge wagon contains any item inside, then wagon turn on cooling.

Wagon which turned cooling on, is supported by locomotive - it consumes additional 300kW/s. Speed of train regardless. Consumption 300kW is per wagon, which means a train :1 loco plus 3 fridge wagons standing on red lights is consuming 900kW per second.
Items in the fridge wagon, which is cool (consumes energy) decay by 1/10 speed.
Items in the fridge wagons, which has no power, decay as usual.
Empty fridge wagon consumes 0 kW
fridge wagon with 1 or more items, consumes 300kW. Fridge dont recognize type of items, if any item is in, it turns cooling on.

Return to “News”