Friday Facts #407 - Automating a soundtrack

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #407 - Automating a soundtrack

Post by FactorioBot »

Makka77
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #407 - Automating a soundtrack

Post by Makka77 »

Rattling the DAC to pieces

Love love love it :D x

Phauxstus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Phauxstus »

That first (and third) WIP track sounded... really bad. Distractingly bad. I hope that's "just started" WIP not "final touches" WIP.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Interesting read! All be it a little complicated in parts!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

luckymike11
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by luckymike11 »

when is the premiere?

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Phauxstus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am
That first (and third) WIP track sounded... really bad. Distractingly bad. I hope that's "just started" WIP not "final touches" WIP.
It definitely gave me the impression of it being a same-y stream of randomly selected bits (sort of like No Man's Sky planets) rather than having an actual intended ("lived-in" ?) feeling and emotional arc (more like Subnautica's world).

A question regarding skipping tracks / segments: Since the gamestate affects which music is playing, I assume skipping tracks is per-player?

Was there a mention of how per-surface and remote-viewing interact with the track selection? Fade-in / fade-out with remote camera?

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SnowZyDe »

You're doing the wrong thing. We're playing engineers, not listening to music.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Haaaa some technical explanations :D

Very interesting to read and see the picture of the grids, it tells a lot. Curious to read about the 44100 Hz sound, aren't the game sound in .ogg which can't do 44100 ?

I couldn't hear the clipping in the "old" sample, i'm confident i won't hear anything in the future ones x).

I like that even after all the explanations when hearing the tracks, i couldn't "hear" the different parts, even with the time stamps, it's just "many notes" to me x). It give me good hope i wont find the music repetitive even if i play all day week.

I know the brain react differently when hearing "new" and "recognized" music, it likes both differently, and it's difficult to get both like in a good remix, i usually get none when i try, it doesn't sound like "new", so brain try to recognize, but the sound is too bad it can't. I'm glad factorio music is made by profesionnals perfectionnists x).

I think for people who find the music distractive, you may have to consider that for an FFF they won't give us to hear the quieter part of tracks where the music is very subtle, but there will be many of those too, and the sounds of the game like alerts robots biters thunder and so on, their volume can/will make the music not so distracting, it's possible to set up the volume of music relative to other game sound and even turn it off when the need to focus is very intense and the music shouldn't be.

Terrahertz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Terrahertz »

That sounds promising, no pun intended. ;) Just in case this endeavour does not work out for some players. Will there be an option to limit the music to the static/predefined soundtrack?

I get that adjusting the music playing to the given situation is hard, but could there be at least some situational awareness, when to play music at all?

I have a very specific example in Mind:
The first 10 to 20 Minutes on Fulgora, when you are probably roaming around looking for a place to setup camp.
The music shown last week works great for a large working factory, but if this was playing directly on arrival, it would sound off and would most likely ruin the atmosphere of "You just arrived on a barren, oily Dust-Bowl"

Niyu.Cuatro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niyu.Cuatro »

I guess somewhat dynamic music would have been cool. But i'm not sure going full portal 2 would have been a good idea for the kind of game factorio is.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

Terrahertz wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am
Just in case this endeavour does not work out for some players. Will there be an option to limit the music to the static/predefined soundtrack?
There is already (in 1.1) a hidden "music mode" setting. It will be there in 2.0 and you will be able to select to play main tracks (static) only.

Allianz4000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Allianz4000 »

That's amazing! Love all the tracks! But especially 1 and 3 are really nice. Giving me automation vibes!
Overall, I prefer the ones from last week a lot, but I think both will probably have different use cases in the game.

Glomzubuk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Glomzubuk »

Reminds me of how music was approached in Kenshi! (dev's insight here)
Excited to hear how it all comes together during play =D

Terrahertz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Terrahertz »

Donion wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 am
Terrahertz wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am
Just in case this endeavour does not work out for some players. Will there be an option to limit the music to the static/predefined soundtrack?
There is already (in 1.1) a hidden "music mode" setting. It will be there in 2.0 and you will be able to select to play main tracks (static) only.
Good to know. Thanks! :D

This could also be a solution to my Fulgora problem, altough a very manual one.

dustyvilla
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dustyvilla »

Phauxstus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am
personally, considering the first one was made almost entirely of short samples i'd guess it was setup more for demonstration and testing purposes, and the 3rd sounds like its just another version of the first from an earlier build, at least it sounds to me like the kind of thing i'd end up putting together if i had access to samples from mid recording and was trying to develop a sound/music system

for dynamic music, i can think of some possible routes some level of dynamics could be done without having to change or rerecord the tracks (say having some tracks/samples that play later in progression and some that play earlier) but the tracks not being composed with it in mind makes sense and i respect that

glee8e
Inserter
Inserter

Post by glee8e »

I wonder if it would improve experience by introducing mutual exclusion, that is some sample/layer/section/state should not be played simultaneously.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Don't think you'll have much luck trying to randomize tracks.

A better approach would be old school interactive music.

Compose a song with your various tracks like drums, piano, winds, and strings. Then make different flavors of the tracks, like an excited version, with more drums, faster strings, louder piano, etc.

These tracks would be muted and unmuted at a double bar, upon an event like entering into battle or leaving battle. The song transitions into an excited version of the song without skipping a beat.

But these tracks played in the wrong combination, or random combination would just not sound right I'm afraid.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Automate the music in an game for Automation ... nice and sound not bad.
But is not the Factory working sound the real sound for an engineer?
When it will quiet you know you had a problem ...

sethbreloom94
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sethbreloom94 »

A Repeat of my Post from #406:
Kinda split on the Fulgora music- love the idea, but the music kept rubbing me the wrong way and I didn't know why.
I was for unique instruments to match each planet since before it was announced. For Fulgora, I was expecting something like one of these: The Fulgora OST is similar to both, but I didn't like it. Then it grew on me. Then I didn't like it again. Then I did like it again.
I think it might be the sound mixing- some of the instruments are just too loud compared to the baseline, making it harder to serve as background music. What do you think?

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

I see i see - AI music.

Return to “News”