Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Rubeus
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Post by Rubeus »

Thanks, that makes sense.

But, that pronunciation is boring, so I'm going to go with "Gleebay". :D
NorwegianVIking wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:53 pm
Rubeus wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:10 am
Forget concrete - I can't wait to see the polution effects and damage to this wonderful biome. It looks like a "Target-rich environment", if you will.

But more importantly... "Gleebah"? "Glehbuh"? "Glehbay"? "Glaybay"? "Glehbah"?
This is how it's pronounced in the original polish:
https://forvo.com/search/gleba/pl/

(Forvo is a great place to find native pronunciations of workds in any language)

Agamemnon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Agamemnon »

Ron_Quiney wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 9:20 pm
Does your lead artist have trypo-fetish?
As someone who is suffering from trypophobia β€” base game nests are already somewhat uncomfortable to look at, but it's manageable.
Even some item icons in the past were triggering it. I'm thankful that they were updated.
But looking at this planet outright makes me panic and causes my whole body to itch.
I hope you will consider not causing anxiety in such an otherwise relaxing game for the folks like me (Roughly 14% of people worldwide ) before finalizing flora artwork.
Roughly 99% of those people wouldn't bat an eye at this planet and just proceed to use the tools the game gives (Concrete, Flamethrowers, Nukes) to solve the problem, if bothered at all, instead of getting pushy at the devs with misinterpreted statistics - effectively asking to ruin the outstanding art for the other (supposedly) 85% of all people that are not even affected. There might be someone to make a mod for extreme cases like you, if you ask nicely enough. Otherwise, please get help.

Ron_Quiney
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ron_Quiney »

Agamemnon wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:07 am
Roughly 99% of those people wouldn't bat an eye at this planet and just proceed to use the tools the game gives (Concrete, Flamethrowers, Nukes) to solve the problem, if bothered at all, instead of getting pushy at the devs with misinterpreted statistics - effectively asking to ruin the outstanding art for the other (supposedly) 85% of all people that are not even affected. There might be someone to make a mod for extreme cases like you, if you ask nicely enough. Otherwise, please get help.
Ah yes, the classic "If that doesn't affect me β€” I don't see a problem"
Misinterpreted statistics? May I ask a source for your 99%? Is it the case that it's your posterior?
I am not asking devs to scrap the whole concept for this planet but only to be more considerate; but you are right, with that much gatekeeping my only hope is that someone who does care will make a mod.

ErubianWarlord
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ErubianWarlord »

doktorstick wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 12:26 pm
The last ALT text: "Entering into the meatlands"
where is this alt text found?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ErubianWarlord wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:40 am
On a computer, hover your mouse over the image.
On a phone/other touch screen device, press and hold on the image.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Svip
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Svip »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:45 am
That shows the title text, not the alt text. Alt text is shown when the image cannot be loaded. Though, I notice the Factorio blog inserts the same text in both the alt and title attributes.

Potipecan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Potipecan »

JackTheSpades wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 12:07 pm
If we're getting a "jungle" planet please give us a way to process wood already. The only way to automatically get rid of wood is to burn it in a furnace but at late game most of my furnaces are electric so I still have to keep one stone array (not even steel because I want the fuel inefficiency) just to burn the wood.

Just let me "smelt" wood into (char)coal please.
You can fuel boilers with wood. Just make some steam engines and have them power radars or beacons. It's pretty easy to consume a yellow belt of wood like that. Alternatively you can just shove it in some chests and blow them up with artillery every once in a while.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Svip wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:52 am
FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:45 am
That shows the title text, not the alt text. Alt text is shown when the image cannot be loaded. Though, I notice the Factorio blog inserts the same text in both the alt and title attributes.
Then what doktorstick potentially meant to say was the "the last title text", but either way, that's how you view what doktorstick was commenting on.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

BEEFE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BEEFE »

Forget concrete - I can't wait to see the polution effects and damage to this wonderful biome. It looks like a "Target-rich environment", if you will.

Wikipedia suggests "glee-bah", yeah. Spore time!

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

BEEFE wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:53 pm

Hey, this is the fungus we encountered in vast amounts on the meadow in front of the house where I spent the best part of my childhood! It was fun to stomp on the ripe fungus and stand in the resulting black spore cloud. :D

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

BEEFE wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:53 pm

I "made" this song where it is pronounced Gleeba :

There is no clip to make it lighter for the forum, because you can't just send .ogg or .mp3 but .mp4 are ok so here it is :

Gleba (edit1).mp4
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Tertius wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:29 pm
Hey, this is the fungus we encountered in vast amounts on the meadow in front of the house where I spent the best part of my childhood! It was fun to stomp on the ripe fungus and stand in the resulting black spore cloud. :D
Now that's very interesting, see i was documenting and surrounding myself with space and mushroom related things to try and write the lyrics of the song, and find a little story, and i came accross this gem : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfdfdZnD9C0 which depict admirably how i envision a young an innocent Tertius falling on an unknown planet and acting all young. Reading your comment i felt compelled to share sorry :D
That's my inspiration n1 for a future clip to the song if there is one x)

Yeol
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yeol »

Congratulations on making a planet this alien and unsettling. I'm not setting one foot on that slimeball until I've made sure it's safe.

By which I mean using the True Nukes mod to deploy however many megatons of thermonuclear hellfire it takes to cleanse a wide area down to the bedrock.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:56 pm
which depict admirably how i envision a young an innocent Tertius falling on an unknown planet and acting all young. Reading your comment i felt compelled to share sorry :D
That's my inspiration n1 for a future clip to the song if there is one x)
Nice video :)

Our associations and our fantasy are truly a mystery. What contrast. Actually, Tertius was never young. He came into life as a 20 year old cleric in a D&D pen&paper adventure I took part in. About 10 years later (real time and game time), he ascended into godhood, because his faith in the goddess he worshipped was stronger than the goddess herself. So she rendered her powers to him, and he was able to defeat the evil gods that tried to enslave the world in the final battle.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:33 am
...with that much gatekeeping my only hope is that someone who does care will make a mod.
The ever growing need for client-side only mods... (resource packs)

GreatWyrmGold
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GreatWyrmGold »

I didn't notice anyone else talking about this, but...did anyone else get the sense that Gleba's surface is basically one superorganism? Somewhere between the Great Barrier Reef and Mystery Flesh Pit National Park? That sounds neat.

Rubeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rubeus »

Ah yes, the classic "If the devs don't address every issue everyone in the world might possibly have, how can they make a game no one actually wants to play?"

On a serious note, the planet as shown is very cool. I, and a number of people here, like it. Please stop trying to get the devs to change it - that's very selfish of you.
Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:33 am
Agamemnon wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:07 am
Ah yes, the classic "If that doesn't affect me β€” I don't see a problem"
Misinterpreted statistics? May I ask a source for your 99%? Is it the case that it's your posterior?
I am not asking devs to scrap the whole concept for this planet but only to be more considerate; but you are right, with that much gatekeeping my only hope is that someone who does care will make a mod.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tertius wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:38 pm
Nice video :)
Our associations and our fantasy are truly a mystery. What contrast.
Hey :) the video is not in the mood of factorio, nor my song really, they are part of a curse, mmmPI (me) am actually a robot, i was human and allowed to use capital i long time ago, but i was partying too hard and got cursed, now i hear mostly techno music from 2000 to 2010 (sometimes other music) but all the time until i finish reading the internet or the curse get lifted. Then i thought techno music is a bit like magic, maybe if i learn techno music or read the internet about it i can become a techno wizard and stop being a robot, do something that provide joy to other people like people who do music or video games, that may lift the curse those are the true hero in my robot eyes x)

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

I kept looking at the post over and over the whole weekend and I've come up to some personal conclusions:
1. Most things feel out of place. Most decoratives, doodads, trees and everything feel not integrated up to par with other planets (as you have said in the post).
2. The planet will be a quite a lot resource heavy performance-wise. A lot of decoratives, presumably animations and live creatures will raise the system requirements quite a bit. I believe it will be worth it, I'm just a bit afraid that you would overdo it a bit with everything.
3. There is still months of work ahead for this planet alone. Very complicated planet to tweak everything to feel just right.

I understand that the planet is heavily a WIP. I just hope that your vision is clear and that you won't scratch much of the planet's ideas from now on. Once you finish the planet, it would be a real shame for everyone for you to realise that the planet is not what you have envisioned. I feel the danger of the sunk cost fallacy as there is just too much to work on

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

husnikadam wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:00 am
2. The planet will be a quite a lot resource heavy performance-wise. A lot of decoratives, presumably animations and live creatures will raise the system requirements quite a bit.
I just had a dream of Reddit threads in 2025 where people discuss the most efficient way to exterminate Gleba fauna to increase ups...

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

husnikadam wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:00 am
I kept looking at the post over and over the whole weekend and I've come up to some personal conclusions:
That seems unnecessarily harsh. I'm sure it'll turn out great.

There does seem to be quite a bit of work left to do, and we know Wube are perfectionists. I was hoping for an Autumn release (northern hemisphere) and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it ends up being a Spring 2025 release instead. We shall see.

Return to β€œNews”