Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Regular reports on Factorio development.
JackTheSpades
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Post by JackTheSpades »

I'm very curious to see how this new biome will interact with the game mechanics. Surely all these fungi aren't just different textured trees. Will there be new enemy types instead of the biters we're used to? Or maybe just more explosive evolution. Perhaps we'd have to ward of the fungi itself from infesting/overgrowing and breaking our machines somehow.

Perhaps the rain will play into things? Having to invest into anti-flooding defenses around the base just like how we have to protect against lighting strikes on the other planet, with the flooding being the main way of getting clean water which then has to be used to empty the storage tanks to be ready for the next flood.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

The last ALT text: "Entering into the meatlands"

BOF007
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BOF007 »

Without knowing more, I was actually a bit sad it isn't going to be the last world. Which would be more of a streamlined seablock. Where you'd have to rely on your cargoship network to bring you mats to "explore" and gather knowledge(research packs) of this distant ocean that may not be H2O... But possibly something different like a massive ocean of H2O2, since the atmo is extra dense with O2... Idk or something like that

E: I just had another idea... Where since the air is extra dense with O2, you can't use any flame weapons or regular entities as you could ignite the atmo, so you will need specialized machines, and instead of landfill because your home world's Terra gets desolved by the ocean. It turns into a partial SE map / seablock mashup

TurkleTrenox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TurkleTrenox »

pleegwat wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:20 am
Somehow, this feels like it needs its own building appearances. Anything you put down would be covered by something alive in no time.
Yeah, and reduce crafting/moving speed but no the energy consumption, and have to use bots with repair kits to remove the vines XD

bohtar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bohtar »

Man this planet looks awesome! It looks just like what I imagine the floor of the ocean to look like.

mward
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mward »

It has real 60's retro-future Sci-Fi planet vibes, and I love it! :D

Bloodred217
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bloodred217 »

Looks very cool. My secret hope for the "biological" planet is that the science made here will culminate in taming / controlling some sort of alien beasts and then bringing them back to Nauvis as a factory-friendly counter to biters.

V0ID
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by V0ID »

As someone mentioned a war elephants I immediately thought about the Megasquid from "The future is wild", which would make sense in this wet environment. Basically a squid that has strenghtend its muscles such that it can walk on land and look like an elephant.

https://the-future-is-wild.fandom.com/wiki/Megasquid

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Nice name, Gleba is a "soil" in polish - any types of soils! Wet, organic, non organic, with bio remnants and any other things. Great name - it has heave connections with this planet NATURE.

Anyway, I think, on this planet we met a COROSION that damage our machinery, belts and any other things need a lube (refined from underground oils?), coal can be replaced by torf like just starter. I think, probably this planet push us to reduce pollution as best as possible because pollution kills our RESOURCES. On map I saw tiny patches of stone and copper - maybe that is a way to survive - copper (or waxed?) pipes or machinery will be untouched with corrosion mentioned earlier?
Next thing, an ALIENS. Maybe there are not only harmful? I would like to do speed run to collide with gleba (is polish phrase, "zaliczyć glebę" - fall on something hard)

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

Nice planet. Can't wait to explode the cliffs, deconstruct all trees and cover everything with concrete. Factory must be gray.
Black blood of the factory

Quis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quis »

I'm hoping for a Giant. He's too large to fit into the screen. Basically undefeatable. But incredibly dumb, so if you turn off your machines and don't move while he's close you're fine.

ethnj5yrth3w
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ethnj5yrth3w »

wow nice one!

To me it scream like I need to satisfy the terrain with some resource and produce so he allow me to build on it without destroying my factory. Like the roots would just start moving and destroy my stuff if I do not please the surronding. Maybe he still lhate the pollution so satisfying the east zone would make the surronding other zone not happy and aggressive. you would not want to buil in between 2 of those zone or risk having to satisfy 2 overload.

anyway just an idea like any other.

nice job, I can't stop reading FFF!

Frenzier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Frenzier »

Has it been considered adding a spores/polen/foggy like visual layer? If you enter a room that has been abandoned for a very long time and has significant levels of mold, the air will be littered with floating organic matter, i think it would add a lot to the atmosphere of a planet that has such a significant level of organic life presence.

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SnowZyDe »

CXZman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CXZman »

Nice planet :D

Curious if sending spaceships back and forth to Gleba and other planets will eventually "contaminate" other planets. That would be a fun mechanic :D Water already changes color with pollution. Maybe one would have to watch out for biohazard contamination.

Mifczu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mifczu »

Tooster wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:22 am
I love the alien aesthetic, this is something I always felt was lacking on nauvis. Will the flora and fauna animate? Like a small particle for a "lizard like"creature here and there, yellow eyes on the tree hiding inside when the night comes or the tentacles wriggling here and there?
You can definitely see aliens on the map at the end, but they edited it so as not to show what they look like - :twisted: malicious people
Zrzut ekranu 2024-05-31 161849.png
Zrzut ekranu 2024-05-31 161849.png (232.3 KiB) Viewed 2753 times

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Looks really beautiful. What a pity we're polluting and tainting this paradise with our factory. It's already a pity how the forests on Nauvis 1.1 get thinned and greyed with the inevitable pollution.

Cynoid_alpha
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cynoid_alpha »

I find this planet visually unsettling. But hey, that's what concrete is for, isn't it?

All jokes aside, the appearance and description remind me somewhat of Chiron (also named "Planet") from Sid Meiers's Alpha Centauri. Interesting possibilities about having the whole planet as a single not-quite-concious organism. Curious about what technologies this one will offer. Oil-refining probably, maybe with a new biochemistry path to get some new (or old ressources)? Can't wait for next friday!

Gemma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gemma »

The player character must be overjoyed to have so many Goldilocks planets to completely ruin for the sake of science packs. Concrete is the most beautiful expression of nature, as the addled concrete alchemist might say to himself in a whisper while he sleeps.

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

It looks great, even for a WIP. I just did not like the look of the mushroom part of the map. I think it is because they do not have a distinct dark shadow like other large things, which is strange, but maybe that will be added later.

Return to “News”