John von Neumann is a son of a bitch. I can say that now.
I am sure that back in his day, it all seemed pretty simple. Sure one robot builds the next and they exponentially conquer the galaxy/universe/whatever. What he didn't realize was that anything able to build the infrastructure for interstellar travel while simultaneously dealing with hostile natives was going to have a conscious mind. Consciousness ain't so easy to build. That's where I come in.
The ads back at home made it seem so easy. "Make money, have robots do all of your work, all professions and types wanted." They didn't say that my ass would be out here all alone for the rest of my days. I mean... I know that my body isn't here, it is just my brain downloaded into a robot or whatever, but you think they could have given me a little company. The worst part is that I don't know if this is the first planet I have done, or if I do every planet. There must be others, but more on that later. It sure feels like the first one. I had to learn how to do everything, but for all I know, I could be the only one who answered the ad.
And let's not forget the bugs. Apparently they conquered the galaxy before us. The promotional video made them seem like they would be a good source of food. They didn't mention that they were the size of a fucking horse and extremely ill tempered. Strangely enough, the sea bass are good food.
This planet wasn't so bad. Lots of rich deposits. Sure you had to walk a little sometimes, but there was plenty where I landed to get started. I think some guy named cube sent me here. If nothing else, it gives me small comfort to know that I am not alone. He had mentioned that trains would be good. Well I ain't no god damn engineer. I am patient. I managed to cobble together one little loop to go get iron. It was looking like I would need to do copper also, but fortunately I was able to suck the nearby fields dry and have just enough.
Next planet is going to be better. I am going to set the next person up (since it could be me again). I scanned through a number of planets. I found one that is very rich in resources. Except coal. Apparently the biter cities (yes you heard that right) had a bit of an industrial revolution at some point and used up a fair amount of the coal. There is still a lot of oil intact, so I recommend that the next person making a beeline for solid fuel production. Whatever happens, don't fuck with the biter cities. I found a small opening, (probably and old waste site) but they are all around. Fortunately, I think the latent effects of their civilization has made them flabby and docile. And I am including this message to make sure the next person is slightly more prepared than I was.
- Use the map string given by any previous person in this thread. HAHA, you are all stuck with mine initially.
- Start the world
- Advance to interstellar travel (Rocket Defense)
- Link to/quote the original comment with the map string so we know where you started from.
- Snap a pic or two to let us know you actually finished.
- Post a new map string for the next person. To find it, generate a world you like, save it, and on the load save screen it has the option to generate the string for you.
- Add story. It shouldn't be optional, but whatever. I will likely cross post links to stories to "Show Your Creations" since this is kind of a combo thread.
- Dictate what mods must be used.
- Be nice. Start them next to a huge iron patch and lots of open ground.
- ...or be a dick. Start them in an endless forest surrounded by biters. If anyone completes it, it will make for a good story.
- Add more pics (mid progress, action shots, the next planet's landing site, whatever)
- Post midway through your build. Just remember that the only time you can post a new map string is when you complete Rocket Defense.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 955#p44955
Code: Select all
>>>AAAKAAwAAAACAgYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAICAQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl AQUECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMFBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwUECAAAAGl yb24tb3JlAQUEBQAAAHN0b25lAgIEP24AQim/AAAekQAAAAAAAAAAAA AEAcx1kD0=<<<