The von Neumann Thread

Place to share custom user maps, scenarios and campaigns.

Re: The von Neumann Thread

Postby theEngineer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm

..... Is this thing on?

INITIATING BROADCAST:

So it seems the company is growing impatient. Shaking my head, I told them just have them scan before they land. It's no wonder such little progress has been made. With so few candidates, and even less worthy, we need to get as many feet on as many planets as possible. Apparently, the thought never crossed their minds, so busy with their popcorn in their cozy offices.

But alas, here I am, first day on the job, and they're already slamming me through simulations. "Get into engineering" they said. "It'll be challenging and rewarding" they said.... It's funny how they don't talk much about the biters BEFORE you sign the contract. Where I come from, the biggest insect make's a delicious snack. "The Company" has been advertising for anyone with "good planning ability" and "a considerable fortitude" for a few years now. From what I've read, this is no game. Seems with the last wave of developments, extreme modifications were necessary just to survive. I opted for the works, of course, but they said it was too expensive. I can only hope that the latest toys and tech restructure makes up the difference.

Okay then, enough with formalities. I have been given a directive straight from the guy who write's vonNeumann's check. Beginning immediately, all new personnel must provide scans of prospective planets before embarking. That being said, I have been given three potential scans for the next available associates. I, however, am still in training, and am not authorized to proceed... yet. Although the existing team, newly dubbed "Alpha team" is still in progress on the latest scanned planet, updating just yesterday, it is time to assemble teams BRAVO, GAMMA, and CHARLIE. Just like ALPHA, all team members must brief the next member on a newly scouted planet before landing, and should associate logs to the team names. As for me, I should be out of training soon and hope to join a team as soon as I finish my training and a new scan is ready.

Bravo:
>>>AAAPAB8AAAABBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAIDBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
BQIFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlBAUECAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlBQICBQAAAHN0b25lAgMDCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlBQIErJ
hKooCEHgDIAAAAAwABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAAD4P
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAFjbnVGKqKSQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAFjbnVGKqKSQAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
7FK5H4Xp0PwEAAQAAAAAAAAhAAQAAAAAAAAhAAXsUrkfheoQ/AQABAQ
EAAAAAAAAAAAHtj7QmlMtlPwHbgdQtDAP5PgEAAQcAAAABAgAAAAECA
AAAAZqZmZmZmbk/AQAAAAAAAABAAQAAAAAAAOA/AZqZmZmZmdk/Ac3M
zMzMzOw/AQUAAAABFAAAAAFAOAAAAcBLAwABEA4AAAGgjAAAASAcAAA
BAAAAAAAAPkABAAAAAAAAFEABZmZmZmZm9j8BMzMzMzMz4z8BMzMzMz
Mz0z8BAAAAAAAACEABAAAAAAAAJEABPAAAAAEeAAAAAcgAAAABBQAAA
AEAAAAAAAAAQAEBAQAAAAAAAFlAAQUAAAABGQAAAAEAAAAAAAAkQAEy
AAAAAQAAAAAAAD5AAWQAAAABmpmZmZmZyT8BMzMzMzMzwz8BMzMzMzM
z0z8BMzMzMzMz0z8BAAAAAAAAJEABAAAAAAAANEABAAAAAAAAPkABAA
AAAAAAFEABAAAAAAAAPkABAAAAAAAAJEABAAAAAAAACEABCgAAAAFkA
AAAAWQAAAAB6AMAAAEAAAAAAADgPwHQBwAAAQAAAAAAQH9AAwAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA8D/6Dr/p<<<

Bravo.png
Bravo.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 583 times

Gamma:
>>>AAAPAB8AAAAFBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAUCBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwIECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAUDBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAQEECAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQMEBQAAAHN0b25lAgUDCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAQQDc5
F574CEHgCAhB4AAgABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAAD4P
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAHbT5bAphm+QAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAHwwkH0+O5WQAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
EAAAAAAAAAAAFnGpvJxgwoPwEI5O6c9ikFPwEBAQwAAAABAgAAAAECA
zMzMzOw/AQoAAAABIQAAAAEQDgAAAfmYAQABEA4AAAGgjAAAASAcAAA
AAAAAAAA8D/K3tZf<<<

Gamma.png
Gamma.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 583 times

Charlie:
>>>AAAPAB8AAAABAQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMBAwoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
BAUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMCAgoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMFCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlBAUFBQAAAHN0b25lBAMDCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlBQUFtN
JIa4CEHgCAhB4ABQABAQG/KgVV66uiPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAAAEQ
AEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAHQSMXc6sxVQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAE0UjG3OjOxQAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
E1RgkM4VDxPgFzBc6DYYpTPwEAAAAAAAAAAAEBARQAAAABAgAAAAECA
zMzMzOw/AQEAAAABCgAAAAGRUgAAAZuYBAABEA4AAAGgjAAAASAcAAA
AAAAAAAAAEDjXwcK<<<

Charlie.png
Charlie.png (1.99 MiB) Viewed 583 times
theEngineer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby Ratzap » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Charlie seemed interesting so I loaded it up and ran round till I started bumping into biters. There's a total of 559,000 coal inside that area. Oil is farily sparse but it never runs out completely so that's fine.

I've run factories on wood before (toxic forest for example) and that's the one thing making me think twice about this. Hand cutting enough wood to get to solar and electric furnaces is soul destroying (not to mention the wrist damage). Using AAI-miner would make it bearable. Or maybe bobs greenhouse for automatic wood. A charcoal mod would be bad, simply circumventing the challenge completely. What's your take on mod usage then?
Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby theEngineer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 am

Initiating Broadcast:

Well, apparently there were concerns with the current scans and operating constraints. To be clear, I am just a messenger. Corporate has asked me to clarify: scan descriptions are only a small observation, actual conditions may vary. Also, modded equipment is allowed, but at a cost. Anyone reporting progress through modifications will have their pay deducted and be shamed to an appropriate level.
theEngineer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby ajranney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 am

The corporation reminded me that I forgot to put my worlds encoded location in my last transmission:
Code: Select all
>>>AAAPAAkAAAABBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAIFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMDCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQUFBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAgUFSM
zQ+4CEHgCAhB4AAwABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
GN7bWg98bQPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEBAQcAAAABAgAAAAECA
AAAAWQAAAAB6AMAAAEAAAAAAADgPwHQBwAAAQAAAAAAQH9AAwAAAAEB
AAAAAAAAEEBX9/4h<<<

This is the most recent one from NotABiter.
//Begin Log
Everything is so expensive. Any science i research is going to cost me so much i need to focus and prioritize as i go. I have red and green science up.
//Satellite image uploaded
http://imgur.com/nSVHdXE
Oil was a priority and i just got it up and running to fill some tanks of liquids for when i'm ready to use the fluids. I want to do so much with my research but it is so dang expensive.
http://imgur.com/cLS4QRv
I finally got some laser turrets and went and cleared the nearby bitters. After a bit i got some solar panels up and decided to use radars to have a good look at the nearby area. There are biters across the water to the east and they can definitely smell my factory, however I think they are unable to find a path to me. I have grey and blue science running but only two assemblers each.
http://imgur.com/M7lfSaM
//End Log
ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Postby ajranney » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 am

I noticed that there were recent posts by the handle theEngineer... He must be from another corporation trying to undermine the current efforts of our corporation and its assets. If he was part of our corporation surely he would have been aware through training the expectations of our corporation.
(@theEngineer please do not post map strings unless you have completed a map string and post evidence of having done so. Please read the first post of this thread to see what is expected. If you want to just post to exchange maps there are other threads for that.)

//Begin final mission log
I have completed this world and it was not as bad as i had initially though. After clearing the full nearby area i found two defensible positions to clear the biters back to and make a wall to keep them out. Then it was a matter of letting my base process the raw goodies i claimed. Image database of satellite images can be found below.
Final image of completion:
http://imgur.com/Dn3Lz4W
Image database:
http://imgur.com/a/4pwue
//End mission log
New String is a rail world with 2x tech cost:
Code: Select all
>>>AAAPACEAAQABBAcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEEAwoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQQDCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAIEAwoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAgMDCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQQDBQAAAHN0b25lAQQDCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAgQDOQ
UAAICEHgCAhB4AAwABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
GN7bWg98bAPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEAAQcAAAABAgAAAAECA
AAAAAAAAAEBPoZXm<<<
ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Postby suprnova74 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 pm

So I managed to stay alive once through this and my work wasn't exactly voluntary so I figured I'd give it a try one more time, this time on purpose. Well, kind of on purpose. The new colonists seem to be rather snobbish, anyway. So I haven't showered in over year and I still wear the power suit all the time. So sue me if I'm a little paranoid about biters.

the hazard pay was great, got this planet all setup and colonists arrive. I finally go to one party and I actually take the suit off and they got all upset!? Granted I took it off AT the party and I didn't shower beforehand... I would have showered.... eventually. Anyway, one little social mis-step with these stick-up-the-arse colonists and what's the repayment? Ban me from the colony?! Pffft. I'd rather take my chances on a new planet and sleep with the bugs then spend another night with them anyway. I just wish they let me take back my power armor. But as they were carrying me to the ship, I think I saw them throw it into the incinerator. Well, the standard hazard suit it is since they stuffed me in a new one to cover the smell. Ah well, let's enjoy the ride. I hope they picked a nice new planet for me.

"Takeoff in 20... 19..."

Wha, wait a minute! Where's my tech repository?!

(searches frantically)

(CRUNCH)

"11...10..."

... Oh Crap. This will not be fun. Again. Maybe I can stop the liftoff and get a new one.

"Abort sequence has been disabled by von Neumann. 4...3..."

(gathers the pieces and buckles in)

"Damn you Von Neumaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn.....!!"

"Stasis pod activated. Have a nice trip"

"I swear I'm going to get that guy if I... ever..... "

---------------------------------
(alarm ringing) "Emergency Wake cycle initiated"

Wha, what's going on?

"Warning, asteroid collision imminent. Landing sequence not possible. Rerouting course to avoid collision"

Ah, well looks like i'll just be getting a nice round trip then. Those poor suckers will have to endure my stench again. Hah ha!

"Emergency Course reroute will consume too much fuel to jeopardize mission. Escape pod launch coordinates calculated. Thank you for traveling with von Neumann, incorporated"
(jettisoned)

I can't even get a decent landing. I hate escape pod entries...

(massive turbulence)
i i i i i tth th think i i iii b-b-b-bit my t-t-tongue offf!

(collision)

0:00:00 - Man, what a rush. And by rush I mean the same rush you get when a gang of thugs gives you a 1-on-1 meeting with a few baseball bats.

i managed to hold my surveyor by the escape pod port window and got a fair reading of the surrounding area.

landing.png
landing area
landing.png (54.83 KiB) Viewed 340 times

Not too bad. I'll need to be breaking in the boots of this new biohazard suit a bit to get to the resources, but i've seen worse areas.

Supplies? Hrmph, I swear they make these escape pods intentionally to break apart into what's needed to start working. a few sheets of iron, a drill and furnace. Hmm, I see a few components here that may interface with the tech repository. Speaking of, Let's check out this tech repository that was so expertly crunched by my boot earlier. (fiddles with the pieces)

Hmm, back to square one. Again! Let's see if I can interface with those components I found:
electric furnace
light enhancement interface for my suit (afraidofthe dark)
Some guy named Bob has a few items here (logistics, mining, power)

Ok, well time to get started.
suprnova74
Inserter
Inserter

Postby suprnova74 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:46 pm

00:34:00 - I managed to break in my biosuit boots quite well, getting the basics going of iron, copper, stone and now power, finally. Aside from the boiler configuration changing requiring a different layout than I was used to last time, not much has changed so far. I've started my basic research going. My expertly placed boot on my tech repository has done something with the input, causing data loss on input of new information so I've had to configure the research labs to add additional recovery data to the tune of an extra 100% data for recovery before I could get one new item into the thing. Ugh. double the materials for tech? Well, it could be worse, I suppose.

Rough layout of the base so far:
Base Overview
023508.png
023508.png (131.82 KiB) Viewed 312 times

04:04:00 - I've automated red and green sciences quite well and have 24 research labs going constantly. I've also spent some time getting some defense research and construction going, just in case the biters get frisky. I've seen a few blips on the radar a little too close to comfort. From the last round, I know they tend to not like pollution and get all uppity like the colonists did when I released my year-old "aged" body odor. I keep running out of iron though so have doubled the production of that. The local iron deposit is going to run out quickly at this rate as I'm going through iron like a hot knife through butter. Butter oh how I miss thee! Speaking of butter, I wonder if biters give milk so I can make some. I doubt they'd take kindly to me fondling their undersides looking for utters though. However, I see a few nests a bit too close for comfort, especially with how the pollution is travelling so took a score of turrets down to see if I can thn them out. The outlying bases were easy enough, however there's a big knot of them due south. Those big-assed worms that spit some crap nastier than my body odor did a number on me and my turrets so I backed off. I need to up the research and maybe get some of that Bob guy's sniper turrets going. That should help crack that base.
Base Overview
040416.png
040416.png (145.59 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Closer view of base
040416_baseview.png
040416_baseview.png (2.85 MiB) Viewed 312 times

With how things are going and how large the cluster of biters tend to be, I'm going to have to automate my defensive line a bit more. They seem to be relatively sedate, but I wouldn't call them peaceful. They're not up for spreading too much which is good as I fear I'll be needing to start up some rail systems soon and having a bunch of biters destroying my tracks would be quite annoying.

Right now I've setup a rudimentary setup for creating turrets and ammo, but still needs to be hand-fed. I've read about others using a "main belt" system of supplying the standard components and it seems to work well, however I'm going to need to beef it up for increased material flow. Right now I have one line of red belts for each which is already nearing it's max throughput.
suprnova74
Inserter
Inserter

Postby suprnova74 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:40 am

05:25:51 - Not much base enhancement other than expanding copper a bit as green circuits were consuming more and replacing boiler MK2's with Mk3's. I checked the radar map and noticed pollution was getting quite close to biter masses so figured I'd clean them out. It took the better part of an hour as I had to blow up a crap-load of trees in order to get to them, allowing the pollution to go further. I think i finally have a fairly good buffer now, hopefully, but we'll see what the tree removal does.

5:51:00 - some of the locals got a bit uppity and decided to munch on some of my outlying miners. As i was hoping I cleared them out far enough, I didn't plan on them coming to visit. After checking the map again, I see the wind must have shifted enough to where more area is impacted. Time for little jaunt around the neighborhood in the dune buggy again! I've also reworked both copper and iron a bit more, making the main bus two red belt lanes now each which really seems to have helped supply. I'm about halfway through automating AP ammo, but need to build up my steel production to accommodate.

9:10:00 - The local fauna came by to visit again a few more times in the last few hours, but luckily i had a few turret nests setup right where they came to say hello. I've automated military science fully, got a few chests placed around to catch some excess components (gears, iron/copper plates, green circuits, etc) as well as am doing the same with the science packs. Iron is being used so fast I can't keep up with 54 steel furnaces running full time. I've put it off long enough so am now working on oil production to get plastics, blue science, bots and my beloved power armor.

I've managed to upload a high res map and you can find it here:

http://suprnova74.com/vonNeumann1/index ... 8,-35.39,5

10:40:00 I finally depleted the local iron. Luckily there was another large patch close by but with oil derivatives using a lot of iron as well, i'm going to need more which means... TRAINS. I'll be starting to play with those in order to reach the further deposits. It looks like moving South East may be the way to go, based on the size of the various deposits. I've had to clear out a few more nests which took more time and i've been struggling with fleshing out the oil production line/blue science which is always a pain in the biter-bite. Not much of a change, but here's another updated map.

http://suprnova74.com/vonNeumann2/index ... 8,-35.39,5
suprnova74
Inserter
Inserter

Postby suprnova74 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 pm

21:00:00 (snaps awake) ugh, i fell asleep and had the weirdest dream. I had a family and a job that kept me so busy I couldn't do much else for several days and then I.... eh, the memory is gone now. Such is the way of dreams.

I really need to get more sleep as I neglected to submit logs a few times. Anyway, One of the technologies that was in that chip was FARL and playing with that is interesting and can definitely prove useful once distances get further. However, it can leave the train signals a mess and required quite a bit of troubleshooting to find the signal that was misplaced. I did use it and now have two train lines running, one to a close-ish iron and one for more oil as the closer oil deposit was outputting less than I consume.

I still have not automated red or blue circuit boards sufficiently and am doing the final hand-crafting of bots, although i do have several score of each now along with my precious power armor it makes local building tasks much simpler along with blueprints.

otherwise, I've cleared out several rather large and nasty nests that wanted to vandalize my iron mining, and upgraded a few items here and there. My next goal is a total rework of the factory, however, which will be tedious but desperately needed. Bots and blueprints will help immensely with this thankfully. I hope to have oil products, red and blue circuits, and all non-rocket sciences automated by next report-out.

State of base so far:
http://suprnova74.com/vonNeumann03/index.html
suprnova74
Inserter
Inserter

Previous

Return to Maps and Scenarios