[0.16.3][Linux] Video hang on game exit

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
talchas
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.16.3][Linux] Video hang on game exit

Post by talchas »

Yeah, I can confirm this still crashes for me as well when I ran with a bunch of mods adding textures. The atlas cache is 2.6G, I didn't check with nvidia-smi what exactly it showed as when loaded.

So nothing special about my machine, it was just vanilla that wasn't crashing :P. (... if the game manually unloaded some of the textures, would that work around this nvidia nonsense?)

Antyradek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Antyradek »

[0.17.15]
If it does help for you, this problem doesn't exist on Wayland. Or it happens much less often. I managed to exit game multiple times without hangup, both in Plasma and GNOME.

However, on Wayland, game runs 20× slower and has visual glitches.
Glitches are about missing/blinking textures, mostly details on ground and fragments of GUI (yes GUI too).
I don't know, why this happens, or if this happens on Nvidia's implementation of Wayland only, but the game likely uses Xwayland instead of native.

I may make some additional tests in future with different distros and drivers to check what happens with Nouveau and built-in Mesa.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

I have a very similar issue. I'll have to try fiddling with the video memory setttings to see if they have an effect:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68041

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

I did nothing but set the Video RAM Usage setting to 'Low' and this problem hasn't happened since. Now, I've only started and stopped the game 4-5 times, but in the recent past, that would've been enough to cause the problem at least once.

I also notice that this wasn't really happening in 0.17 if I started the game and updated mods. In 0.16, it would often hang on exit when it was restarting after updating mods.

So... my current theory based on very limited evidence and understanding is that this has to do with the hybrid Intel/NVidia solution that many Dells (and possibly other laptops) use for video.

Another interesting issue on my laptop is that Chromium windows frequently end up with staticy garbage in them after a suspend/resume cycle. This is easily fixed by forcing a redraw on the affected windows (usually by switching tabs). But Chromium uses GPU acceleration for rendering. Something in the GPUs memory is ending up corrupted during the suspend/resume cycle. I suspect this is related to the Factorio hangs.

thecatlover1996
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by thecatlover1996 »

Omnifarious wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm
Another interesting issue on my laptop is that Chromium windows frequently end up with staticy garbage in them after a suspend/resume cycle. This is easily fixed by forcing a redraw on the affected windows (usually by switching tabs). But Chromium uses GPU acceleration for rendering. Something in the GPUs memory is ending up corrupted during the suspend/resume cycle. I suspect this is related to the Factorio hangs.
I've seen the staticy garbage issue on multiple Linux machines among my friends (also on my own machine). I don't suspect that this issue is related to the Factorio hangs, as I have had that issue already long before Factorio 0.16 and the hangs only started happening in 0.16 for me.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Additionally, I had the problem again yesterday, even with my video memory set to 'Low', but with high-quality texture compression. It still seems to happen a LOT less often than it was before.

I need to do more research on how to diagnose these kinds of issues. I've largely treated the whole video stack (aside from the X protocol itself, which I know fairly well because I wrote my own C++ toolkit for it in the late 80s/early 90s) as a black box in my head.

AndrolGenhald
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndrolGenhald »

I've had this issue since 0.16 as well, with my 780ti. I don't remember having the issue in 0.16 before I added a cheap Radeon card so I could have 5 monitors, and a lot of people are reporting it with laptops, so maybe it only happens if there are multiple GPUs? I'll try to remember to remove the Radeon card temporarily next time I dust out my computer and test it with just the 780ti.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”