[0.14.14] Horrible FPS drop

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.14.14] Horrible FPS drop

Post by apriori »

Started a new game and got 1.4 FPS/60 UPS. Even when the game is paused.
...Even in main menu.

i5-3570, 16 GB, R9 380.

EDIT:
Reinstalled the game - nothing changed.
When I start the game, ntoskrn.exe appears in task manager and takes one cpu core (25%). And vice versa.

Right click the picture and select "Open in new tab":
Screenshot
Last edited by apriori on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.14.14] Horrible FPS drop

Post by daniel34 »

Please post your log file and a screenshot with time_used_percent and show_fps enabled in the debug menu (F4 > F5).
Also make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date and try toggling VSync in Options --> Graphics.

Another option is to open %appdata%\Factorio\config\config.ini and set force-opengl to true if it was false, or false if it was true (with Factorio closed).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

Game statistics
Game statistics in fullscreen
factorio-current
I've rebooted my PC, then run the game - everything was ok. I've restarted the game some times (FPS has been 60), and on the 5th time I've got the same issue - FPS drop. See screenshots.

EDIT: While Factorio is running, I have the same FPS drop in Windows too. Video drivers are the same as were on 0.14.12 that worked well. If I reboot my PC, the game works well for some time(-s). Memory leaks?..

Other games (Cities Skylines, FortressCraft Evolved, Prison Architect, Space Rangers) work just fine.
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Seems like a known windows 10 issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 760ccff165
daniel34 wrote: Also make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date and try toggling VSync in Options --> Graphics.
Another option is to open %appdata%\Factorio\config\config.ini and set force-opengl to true if it was false, or false if it was true (with Factorio closed).
Did you try those?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

daniel34 wrote:Another option is to open %appdata%\Factorio\config\config.ini and set force-opengl to true if it was false, or false if it was true (with Factorio closed).
I see now that you are using the Steam build, do this instead:
Right-click Factorio in the Steam library and choose Properties, then click Set launch options...
In the textfield enter either --force-d3d or --force-opengl, one of these should work.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

There's nothing that Factorio does that would cause an external process (system - the Windows system process) to use any additional CPU time. That is almost certainly something wrong with your hardware or driver configuration.

In fact, I've had this exact problem on an old netbook that I used to own with windows 7 which ended up being a hardware issue. The "system" process would randomly after some amount of time use 100% of one core on the computer regardless of what I did. Restarting would fix it for a while but it would always return.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

Daniel, Rseding, I'll check it out during next two days and leave a reply. Thanks. Rseding, this process stops "eating" CPU time exactly after I close Factorio. And doesn't appear at another time until I run this game. My PC usually works hours between reboots or till shutdown, and I hadn't been getting this issue before, so I decided to write here. Thank you for your attention.

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

Works well. Thanks. But I didn't try to launch the game many times trying to reproduce the lag.

According to the last bug reports, it seems that Steam client is the cause (since the last client update) of some bugs. Is it possible?

Return to “1 / 0 magic”