[1.1.110] Pausing using the Editors "Time" Tab loops Autosave function.

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
spacedestructor
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.110] Pausing using the Editors "Time" Tab loops Autosave function.

Post by spacedestructor »

1.)
I experimented in the Editors "Time" Tab with the provided functionality and especially the "Play for limited time" section.
2.)
I noticed by accident that if you press the Pause button in the "Speed" section while the game is performing an auto save and wait until the autosave is complete before unpausing.
Then the game will from that moment on re trigger the autosave function for as long as the game is paused.
Cant say if this is fixed by simply reloading a previous save or going back to the main menu but i can say that restarting the game solves this.
3.)
I expect the Autosave function not to be influenced by the fact if its occurring while the game is paused or not.
4.)
By careful timing or simply using a big save to increase the time it takes the game to finish saving (the size of the save shouldnt influence the bug but was a helpful tool to test how reliable the occurrence is.), i can reliably state that every time i do the same thing from #2 after having restarted the game it will happen again.

Steps to Reproduce:
1.) Wait for an Autosave or perform a game.auto_save() API Call.
2.) Press the Pause Button found in the Editors "Time" tab under the Category "Speed" while the Autosave is in progress.
3.) Wait for the Autosave to complete before unpausing via the Same Button.
4.) Pause the Game via the Button again. The Game should now start a new Autosave immediately after the previous has completed.

Important Notes:
1.) It Doesnt matter why the game is Autosaving, just that it is. So Waiting for it to happen on its own and API Calls to manually trigger an Autosave SHOULD have the same effect.
2.) I havent tested if waiting for the Autosave to finish is requierd for the Bug and all my tests have been done in the Method described above which includes waiting for it to finish.
3.) I was only able to trigger this bug if i was using the Button in the above described UI Location.
Using the Hotkey "shift + space" doesnt have the same Result, even when the Bug has already been triggered it will only occur via the UI.

(not including image/video/gif because you would only see the editor open and the autosave "pop up" appear. There is no visual Difference to intended behaviour other then the fact that the autosave pop up keeps appearing and iterating over all autosave slots.)
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(788.42 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
_autosave1.zip
Save File "_autosave1.zip" has been produced during the bug and because the Bug is Save Game Persistent loading it should automatically retrigger it since the relevant states are Save Game Persistent, thus making the entire Bug Save Game Persistent.
(33.25 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.110] Pausing using the Editors "Time" Tab loops Autosave function.

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I can't reproduce this when following your steps.

Can you make a video showing this?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

spacedestructor
Inserter
Inserter

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:46 pm
Thanks for the report however I can't reproduce this when following your steps.

Can you make a video showing this?
Apology for the late Response,
i did try to record it but i wasnt able to.
The bug continues to occur if i load the attached save file but starting a new game doesnt trigger it as of right now.
So unfortunately im unable to record how i triggered the bug in the first place.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

When i looked at this save file i was unable to reproduce anything. Main suspicious part that i noticed is the game speed this save file is set to be targeting: a speed of 1000. Given that autosave is timed using update ticks (which are counted even when time is paused), could it be that you have autosaves enabled to some small update interval (like 10 minutes) and the autosave simply triggers every 0.6s (due to game speed) which appears as if it was stuck in an autosave loop?

spacedestructor
Inserter
Inserter

boskid wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:48 pm
When i looked at this save file i was unable to reproduce anything. Main suspicious part that i noticed is the game speed this save file is set to be targeting: a speed of 1000. Given that autosave is timed using update ticks (which are counted even when time is paused), could it be that you have autosaves enabled to some small update interval (like 10 minutes) and the autosave simply triggers every 0.6s (due to game speed) which appears as if it was stuck in an autosave loop?
Its set to every 15 minutes, also the save file is bigger due to the production i have constructed in it.
So your guess with the time between saves is probably it.
The 1000 game speed is probably creating a frequency shorter then the time it takes my Computer to Save a File of that Size.
Im not going to recreate the entire worlds content in to a new world because its larger then the blueprint limit but im going to assume here that it would probably confirm the theory.
Before this conversation i was looking at the save frequency as real time based not based on ticks or some other value thats influenced by game speed.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”