[1.1.61] Running out of disk space corrupts game saves and results in crash on restart

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
rojcowles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.61] Running out of disk space corrupts game saves and results in crash on restart

Post by rojcowles »

Ran out of space on C: for the %AppData%\Factorio\saves during a game session and Factorio attempted to save the _AutoSave and main world save but these seem to be corrupted and now crash Factorio on load. Steam also managed to sync these corrupt saves to the cloud and I was down to the oldest AutoSave to recover the base.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.61] Running out of disk space corrupts game saves and results in crash on restart

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however there's nothing we can do about this. If the operating system doesn't report "out of disk space" the game has no way to know it is happening.

Our of curiosity what operating system are you using?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

rojcowles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.61] Running out of disk space corrupts game saves and results in crash on restart

Post by rojcowles »

Yeah, does seem like a fairly extreme edge case and I do have a workaround (1Tb NVMe SSD on order to replace the 250Gb SATA SSD that my son filled up with a Valorant install ...)

The OS is Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1826)

During the "disk out of space" event I was getting messages from Factorio that it was unable to complete the auto saves due to lack of disk space but it seems like it was still modifying the _autosave2.zip, _autosave1.zip and the actual world Zip file anyway when I foolishly tried to Save and Quit. These files then crash Factorio if I try and load them again and the Steam client merrily proceeded to sync these to the cloud saves so even these backups were broken, though that subsequent issue is completely on Valve.

Given that this is a not very efficient 4k SPM base and the saves are in the 100Mb range guessing it would probably be brutally time intensive to even debug
and even more so to put in code to detect this specific corruption, test, reg test and update auto tests just to error out a little more gracefully on load so I'd agree 100% with moving this to the "Yup, prob shouldn't crash loading a borked save file but have many other things that are more important" list. Plus its a self-inflicted problem as I should have been more aware of how full my C: drive was getting.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”