Crash on OPening Notepad++

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Crash on OPening Notepad++

Post by yugatha »

Hi,

Last night, as I was playing, I opened Notepad++ on my computer, and immediately, Factorio froze. I had to close it and reopen. Tried it again, and it froze a second time. Is someone else able to test this as well?

System: Windows 7 Pro x64, i7-4700 20gb ram
Factorio: Latest non-beta version (14.21, i think)

Playing vanilla, no mods installed (never been installed), no cheats / console commands (besides a color change). Hosted Multiplayer, no-one else was in the game at the same time.

Notepad++ was opened on the same screen initially (behind Factorio), then I moved it to the second screen, closed, tried opening it the second time when Notepad++ was on the second screen, still crashed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Crash on OPening Notepad++

Post by Rseding91 »

I highly doubt opening an external text editor caused Factorio to crash. Please post the log file from the crash.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

Hi,

It's strange, I know. Just tried it again to confirm, and to get the logs. Below file is the new log file - couldn't see anything in there. The game just freezes, and needs to be force-closed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jrefdsbizf7y ... t.log?dl=0

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
It sounds like you might be funning out of VRAM. Try lowing video memory usage from "all" to "high" or "medium".

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

Not sure why the log has that, Factorio is configured to run using the dedicated nvidia 770M (3GB VRAM), and is correctly showing nvidia utilities / geforce experience

Nevertheless, I set graphics usage to "low", closed and reopened Factorio, and it froze again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y02x7kf5v535 ... fBDia?dl=0

I've pasted the save file, and a few more logs, and a screenshot as to what happens when it freezes. Using Process Monitor, when it is frozen, the game still sends off requests via TCP/IP information (via IPv6, which I am assuming isn't a problem?)

Happy to test more to try and get this working.

Edit: Just tested in Windowed mode as well, same issue

Edit 2: Tried this with a 100% fresh game, single player, only the furnace built, windowed mode, low graphics, same problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

yugatha wrote:Not sure why the log has that, Factorio is configured to run using the dedicated nvidia 770M (3GB VRAM), and is correctly showing nvidia utilities / geforce experience

Nevertheless, I set graphics usage to "low", closed and reopened Factorio, and it froze again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y02x7kf5v535 ... fBDia?dl=0

I've pasted the save file, and a few more logs, and a screenshot as to what happens when it freezes. Using Process Monitor, when it is frozen, the game still sends off requests via TCP/IP information (via IPv6, which I am assuming isn't a problem?)

Happy to test more to try and get this working.

Edit: Just tested in Windowed mode as well, same issue

Edit 2: Tried this with a 100% fresh game, single player, only the furnace built, windowed mode, low graphics, same problem.
0.087 Available display adapters: 2
0.088 [0]: \\.\DISPLAY1 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 {0x8000005, [0,0], 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.088 [1]: \\.\DISPLAY2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 {0x01, [1920,0], 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.089 Create display on adapter 0. Size 1280x720 at position [310, 162].
3.364 Initialised Direct3D:[0] Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600; driver: nvumdshimx.dll 21.21.13.7270
3.424 Video memory size (dedicated video/dedicated system/shared system/available): 3007/0/9943/656 MB
You may say it's set to run on the NVidia card but it's not running on the NVidia card.

Do you have the monitors plugged into the NVidia card or are they plugged into the integrated intel one?

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

Rseding91 wrote:
You may say it's set to run on the NVidia card but it's not running on the NVidia card.

Do you have the monitors plugged into the NVidia card or are they plugged into the integrated intel one?
It is unfortunately a laptop, so it is plugged in to the only displayPort adapter (running on Monitor 1)

I used GPU-Z to test the VRAM usage while running, it never went above ~20% (gif in the folder shared previously) (same gif: Image)

I'll make a better one in a minute, showing Factorio as well

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

yugatha wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:

It is unfortunately a laptop, so it is plugged in to the only displayPort adapter (running on Monitor 1)

I used GPU-Z to test the VRAM usage while running, it never went above ~20% (gif in the folder shared previously) (same gif: Image)

I'll make a better one in a minute, showing Factorio as well
Try just turning off the Intel GPU in the BIOS so it can't be used.

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

Hi,

I've recorded the event happening, and uploaded to Youtube - had it as a Gif first, but it was 40mb, and was taking too long to upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PccCOtQObk

Will attempt to disable the HD graphics in the BIOS, but from memory, there wasn't the option to do so.

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

As presumed, there was no option in the Bios to even do with the video memory (no size option, no disable etc). So i tried playing with the Nvidia Control Panel option. I forced every application to run with the nVidia graphics card (and forced all monitors to use the Phys-X on the 770m), restarted, but it simply caused Factorio not to load at all (https://www.dropbox.com/s/j03f8dx2cjqt8 ... g.log?dl=0)

Switching it back and restarting fixes the not opening issue.

Running the game full screen shows it is using the nvidia card for the power behind it - with Factorio open, the dedicated card is using 0MB of memory. With it open, on High graphics, it is using 490MB dedicated Ram (of 3GB, so plenty available) - opening the save file brings that value to 523MB VRAM.
When the game is Windowed, the Intel HD graphics is used.

My assumption from this is that there is a loader of some sort for Factorio that refuses to run on the dedicated card.

All in all, there is plenty of Video ram available, running on either card

I'm going to try the previous versions, and see if it has the same issue, and report back.

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

Tried 12.35 as well, same issue.

I tried a few other applications as well, to test. Some caused the crash, whereas some didn't. (another culprit being YACReader, a comic reader). Seeing as it isn't just the one program, it is likely to be either:
1) some special circumstance on my computer (likely)
2) some special circumstance to do with Factorio (unlikely).

Is anyone able to check with their computer, whether opening Notepad++ with factorio open (ie, run factorio, enter game, then launch Notepad++) causes the error on your computer as well?

Thanks,
Yugatha

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I have notepad++ open all the time while running Factorio and have never once had any issues.

yugatha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yugatha »

Is that with Notepad++ open before launching Factorio? Because mine is ok like that as well.

If not, I'll assume this is an issue with my computer. At the very least, I know the issue is there, and that it can be worked around.

Many thanks for your time.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”