Detecting valid downloaded dependencies

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Detecting valid downloaded dependencies

Post by Squelch »

I have just embarrassed myself by flagging a problem with an unsatisfied dependency during an upgrade while using the games mod manager. I had already fetched the correct version of the dependency, but the mod manager still showed that it was missing. This was all conducted in the same session, and it would seem that a freshly installed mod is not parsed and marked as installed until after a restart. This rather does make the installation of mods long winded if we need to restart multiple times to ensure all dependencies are satisfied.

Is this a bug or oversight? I would have expected the newly installed and correct dependency to be detected while updating multiple mods at once.
Dependency detection as seen by modmanager

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Detecting valid downloaded dependencies

Post by eradicator »

Squelch wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:27 pm
but the mod manager still showed that it was missing.
Your screenshot says it's "not active", not "missing". Nitpicky maybe, but mods are only loaded (and thus become active) during startup. So the message is technically correct. Probably wouldn't hurt if newly-installed-but-not-yet-active mods had some different color in the manager (i actually thought they did).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Yes you are correct, and it is a nit pick. The check mark beside the mod in the manager seems to indicate whether it is active. The tooltip - stdlib in the screenshot - is technically correct as you say, but I'd contend it is misleading in this case. In fact there is nothing in the gui to indicate that a restart is imminent or required.

A different colour, or some other means of differentiating installed, activated, but not yet or currently active would help of course.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

eradicator wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Probably wouldn't hurt if newly-installed-but-not-yet-active mods had some different color in the manager (i actually thought they did).
Mods that have been activated, and have dependencies that are also activated in the same session now show in red. (first noticed in 0.18.4) This distinguishes the mod from other active mods.

I raised the following suggestion Modmanager UI - Distinguish currently active mods from non active. and it now seems to have been implemented.

Return to “Modding discussion”