Extending fuel categories and adding multiple consumption requirements

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Extending fuel categories and adding multiple consumption requirements

Post by Honktown »

Asking to see if a fuel use can be separated from electrical use, and both be used distinguishably at the same time, with a custom fuel (which isn't providing the energy).

I had the idea from playing with the Dark Matter Transmuters mod. That mod adds a requirement of ore for the cloning of items in the existing Dark Matter Replicators mod (and others).

Effectively, the new ore it introduces could be instead a type of fuel, and an entity could consume that fuel. As far as the base game is, there are no entities which consume two kinds of "energy", and in fact, the energy_source is a single-deep entry, and worse, fuel_category gives an error if it's not one of the two pre-defined types.

I'm looking a bit and found fuel_category_prototypes, but I'm not seeing an example of modifying it in the Factorio folder, nor anywhere online for that matter.

A more complicated way of doing it would be using a product to make a fluid, and using the fluid as an intermediary (generating more liquid from different sources, as how boilers and oil refineries work). I don't know if there can be custom pipes that only transfer certain fluids.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Modding discussion”