Factorio in Linux VM (virtualbox)?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Factorio in Linux VM (virtualbox)?

Post by H8UL »

I have desync reports from players which appears to be a Windows vs Linux issue. Before I report it or make the big changes I suspect I need, I want to do some of my own testing to confirm which versions of Factorio are affected, and if it really is a Windows vs Linux thing.

I'm thinking then, to use virtualbox to run Factorio, as I don't really want to partition my personal machine for the purposes of testing a mod.

Headless might be enough, it might not though, so being able to play would be ideal.

Anybody any experiences with this?
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio in Linux VM (virtualbox)?

Post by mrudat »

Linux on windows works just fine with virtualbox, hyper-v, vmware, qemu, ... and possibly others, but I've used each of those before.

No idea if there's any limitations with running factorio that way, but there shouldn't be.

Most also support 3D acceleration, but it would probably be better to have the server in the VM, and the client native.

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Ah sorry I wasn't clear, I've run Linux VMs inside Windows many times for work purposes, I'm wondering specifically about Factorio.

I guess I can just try it but these things come with a lot of junk especially around host network adapters. Not really a project I want to take on with my personal gaming machine just to find out that it's a waste of time.

It's all with a heavy heart to be honest. I've got to hunt low level issues with no debugger and no testing utilities in a situation that might well have nothing to do with the OS after all!

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Well, so it does work with guest additions installed on latest Ubuntu, and using VBoxSVGA as the graphics emulation.

Loading sprites on default settings is pretty brutal but works. Can probably be improved, but it is good enough for debugging.

Return to “Modding discussion”