Real-time chat translation

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Sigor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Real-time chat translation

Post by Sigor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:06 pm

To start this post, I really don't like nation-specific servers. How many times have you seen a perfect server in the public games list just to realise that it is JUST CZ or NUR FÜR DE or ТОЛЬКО RU? I surely did quite often. I usually just tried pasting a "hello" in the language of the server and ignoring the chat, but imho the chat is a big part of what makes factorio multiplayer so great.

I want to write a chat translation tool. What I want to implement (in order from worst to best case scenario):
- substitute cyrylic alphabet with coresponding latin characters (see this chart).
- make the chat easy to copy and paste
- make a chat-log.txt file that is updated each time a message is sent (will allow me to write an external script to translate the text, super easy)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Real-time chat translation

Post by Koub » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 pm

[Koub] Moved to Modding discussion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ZwerOxotnik
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Real-time chat translation

Post by ZwerOxotnik » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Sigor wrote: - substitute cyrylic alphabet with coresponding latin characters (see this chart).
- make the chat easy to copy and paste
- make a chat-log.txt file that is updated each time a message is sent (will allow me to write an external script to translate the text, super easy)
Are you interested in any other way?

Return to “Modding discussion”