Can Landfill be limited to shallow water?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
grimdanfango
Inserter
Inserter

Can Landfill be limited to shallow water?

Post by grimdanfango »

It's simple enough to disable Landfill outright - which I'm leaning towards in a mod I'm fiddling with, as for my planned purposes, it makes for a thoroughly overpowered tool.

What I'd love to be able to do though, is to limit it to only allow placement on shallow water squares, so it's still a useful tool for occasionally linking up across shallow archipelagos, but can't be used to cross entire seas. It wouldn't feel nearly as much like a cheat to me then.

I'm assuming this is impossible though, given the fact that creating new land automatically creates a 1-square buffer of shallow tiles around it, any way to limit placement would be negated by the fact that the player could just just expand it a tile at a time.

Can anyone think of any way this could actually be done? Maybe some way to detect and enforce that the placement is only allowed when there's at least a 1-square buffer of shallows around the cursor, so it can't create shallows where they don't already exist?

Return to “Modding discussion”