What is the use of the default_temperature of the liquid?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

What is the use of the default_temperature of the liquid?

Post by Adil »

Back in the old days nuclear power mods worked by adding a reaction, that would produce a very hot liquid, which hotness was defined in the prototype as a `default_temperature`.
However, I've recently added a liquid with `default_temperature=300` and when that one was piped to steam engine, nothing happened until I've added a boiler with the coal at which point the setup started giving minimal power.
prototype
So, apparently, only the heat added by boiler counts for power production. The question is: What is the point of having the temperature fields then?
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: What is the use of the default_temperature of the liquid?

Post by Yoyobuae »

Can make two liquids both of which heat up to 100°C max, but with different min temperatures. The one with highest min temperature is the least efficient for steam engine production. Also I assume in 0.15 version steam produced will have 100°C as min temp but have a much higher max temp.

In other words, it looks pretty. You know a "boiler" only takes liquids to 100°C max. And because "steam" will not go under 100°C. And so on.

Now, it would be neat if there was some kind of heat exchanger. Then temperature differences between liquids would be significant.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Steam engines calculate their power based on the difference between the current temperature and the default temperature

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Do they also account for heat_capacity or is that value only used for heating liquid up?
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Well, tests show that low heat capacity liquid indeed can be used to bring engine to a full power with a single boiler.

Return to “Modding discussion”