What image editing software do you use?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
DRT99
Inserter
Inserter

What image editing software do you use?

Post by DRT99 »

So i recently got into modding, and im looking to pick up some image editing software - MS paint just doesnt quite cut it.

So i was wondering, what software do the modders around here typically use?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What image editing sfotware do you use?

Post by aubergine18 »

+1 for GIMP

On a Mac, I'm currently using Acorn - there's a bunch of common tasks I do that it seems to handle really well: cropping, changing canvas/image size, layers, scaling, perspective, various filters, etc.

On PC, I always used to use PaintShop Pro but I think it took a turn for the worse when Corel took over development.

Ultimately, it all depends on your personal workflow when it comes to editing images as to which app will be best for you.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: What image editing software do you use?

Post by Quax »

using GIMP for several years now (not for modding, but for image editing related to DTP)
Free and great :-)

and Inkscape, in case you need a proper vector graphic program

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Paint shop pro 8. I've owned it for years, it doesn't support any of the fancy new things like SVGs, even though it has had vectoring in there long before the more popular and powerful Photoshop (I think their vector software was named illistrator) There's really no way that I know of to get vectors out of the program in any usable format. Other than that, it makes a reasonable sprite sheet editor.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

not a modder but use PaintTool SAI for doodleing/image editing. great for resizing, and has anti-aliasing built in.
it's mostly a drawing program, so doesn't have features like clone that gimp, and *cringes photoshop have. has a 30 day free trial.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Paint dot net (not the ms paint) is free and very useful, it have easy interface and a lot of plugins. Alpha, layers and all of mixing types between layers.

But it's 2d only, I think you need some 3d program too, for example, blender 3d.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

bobingabout wrote:Paint shop pro 8. I've owned it for years, it doesn't support any of the fancy new things like SVGs, even though it has had vectoring in there long before the more popular and powerful Photoshop (I think their vector software was named illistrator) There's really no way that I know of to get vectors out of the program in any usable format. Other than that, it makes a reasonable sprite sheet editor.
Paint shop pro 9 here :D

And Cinema 4D for modeling and rendering

Return to “Modding discussion”