[WIP Mod]Need ideas for Modular Nuclear Reactor

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[WIP Mod]Need ideas for Modular Nuclear Reactor

Post by jorgenRe »

Hi, i have started to work on a new project which is modular reactors. This mod will let you create your own reactor that creates a varyeing amount of energy dependant upon which modules you insert into it. Basically the reactors you get from industrial craft 2 for Minecrafthttp://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index. ... ar_Reactor, but we live in a free world and i want dem modular reactors Hehe :mrgreen:

Now i already have some modules in mind, but i would love to get som feedback from people so i can implement it in the best possible way and have a good amount of modules.

Modular nuclear reactor
Feed water. Output hot water.
Set by modules that are inserted into a grid.
Can be simple or advanced whereas the more advanced it is the more thought is needed to carefully set the modules.
More advanced setups may require aditional infrastructure such as circuitry to have it for example run when below a certain heat level then pause. Basically a simple quick extra power in an emergency.

Can be dependant on modules a breeder reactor or a normal just energy creating reactor. A breeder reactor basically lets you save some uranium(VERY basicly said) by re enriching near depleted uranium cells.However its efficiency is based on the heat. So the higher the heat the faster it re enriches.
Modules
Uranium cell: Each cell generate a set amount of energy. For every adjacent uranium cell it creates 50% more energy. That gives the formula energy = 1.5^x where x is amount of adjacent uranium cells.
Cooling cell: A cell that cools the reactor using itself.
Heat cell: Increases the base hull heat of the reactor.//Useful for breeders
Heat vent: Dissipates heat from itself into
I plan to make this mod an addon to nucular. Basically using his mod for creating the uranium cells.
My goal is to create a way of generating power that is different and makes for a fun part of the game. Where you have more options to decide upon your power gen.

Do note that due to the way that you can put filters into the chest. It means you can have a setup that runs on using loads of coolant cells to dissipate heat quickly and being able to create loads of energy efficiently in terms of space and uranium usage.

This project will have me create it in flash for a school project too(sorry friends, but school as not gon over to javascript yet.
Which will let you create a setup on a website to trye out before using it. No risk for explosion method.(though i know javascript too. It is worthless in terms of school points :cry: )

EDIT:
Update1
Code has been made for finding the modules and calculating the change of heat for every component every tick. I will however only run the perfomance heavy code as least often as possible by only doing it when the components changes. And have it predict when modules fail so that i only need it to run code that checks if anything changes and have it consume then generate water only a few times every second.

Update2
It is now implemented as a mod and is able to detect modules in a chest nuclear reactor. It can also calculate how the durability of all modules will change per tick. I have also tested and gotten to work to use the durability on items to save the durability and avoid cheating. Tl;DR Mod is possible and going well. Hurray for 4 days off school :ugeek:

Update3
Durability works. Now with everything working it is time to start implementing the creation of power :D!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Return to “Modding discussion”