Is it allowed to make a mod that doesn't use the Base?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Solar's Wrath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is it allowed to make a mod that doesn't use the Base?

Post by Solar's Wrath »

The title says it all and this place in the forum seemed to be the most appropriate place to ask.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is it allowed to make a mod that doesn't use the Base?

Post by Thomasnotused »

I'm certain it's allowed, it's more of a matter of how you plan to do that. Will you completely replace everything the game has to offer? Or just not list it as a dependency? Or some other approach I can't think of right now?
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Solar's Wrath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Solar's Wrath »

Well... My idea was to replace most of the base stuff to different theme with its own tech and progression. It wouldn't depend on the Base but it would use things from the base.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Solar's Wrath wrote:Well... My idea was to replace most of the base stuff to different theme with its own tech and progression. It wouldn't depend on the Base but it would use things from the base.
If you're going to use things from base, that makes it dependent on it, doesn't it?

Terminology aside, it sounds like you're getting set for quite the mod, I wish you luck on that!
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Solar's Wrath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Solar's Wrath »

Use things from the base as in, taking the code and putting it in my mode and edit it my way so the mod wouldn't be a 100% different games, like belts. I wouldn't recode new belt. I would borrow the base code and modify it in my mod instead of needing the base mod to be toggled on.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

If you're doing that would it not be easier to modify the stuff in data.raw? That way base defines all the usual stuff, but you tweak what's there to bend it to your needs... If something new gets added to base, it will automatically be available and you can tweak it with subsequent update to your mod.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Solar's Wrath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Solar's Wrath »

Well I could do that but do you mean Data.Lua? Cus I don't know what Data.raw is... Also if I do that, is it possible to overwrite like sprites and such because the sprite work would be totally different so i'd need to be able to take the base stuff but have them use my sprites.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Yeah, using data.raw (in your data.lua or script it requires, or better still the data-final-fixes.lua which gets run after all the mods and base game have defined their protos) you can change pretty much everything. If you look on the mod portal for balance mods you'll see how its done. You can read the prototypes of other mods, edit them, delete them, duplicate them, etc.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Solar's Wrath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Solar's Wrath »

I'm gonna go check that right away thanks!

Return to “Modding discussion”