Simple modding question

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Simple modding question

Post by Alice3173 »

Or maybe not incredibly simple? I'm not sure yet.

All I really need is to know exactly what info I'd need to use to add in an additional power producing item. I'm intending it to work more or less like a solar panel but without reliance on the sun. The wiki has a lot of info but it's really lacking in exact item info. If I could find a full template for all the solar panel info, for example, I'd mostly be set. The big thing after this is image resolution. I'm not finding much on this but the end product you place in the game is intended to be 5x5 or 6x6 tiles. I think that one square on the grid is about 32x32px but I'm not certain.

If someone could help me figure out that resolution bit and at least a list of file in the game directory I can look at for all the solar panel info that'd be really helpful. (This includes for research. And on that note a page that lists the tech names used for pre-requisites that'd be super helpful.)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Simple modding question

Post by Rseding91 »

1 game tile is 32x32 pixels which is represented in the prototype definitions as "1" == 32 pixels so 0.5 would be 16 pixels and so on for offset style items.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

Rseding91 wrote:1 game tile is 32x32 pixels which is represented in the prototype definitions as "1" == 32 pixels so 0.5 would be 16 pixels and so on for offset style items.
Thanks. Now I just need to figure out the rest of this and I can make my mod. Do you happen to know where I can check technology names so I can declare prerequisites? I thought it might be in the Data.raw page on the wiki but apparently that's just for entities.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Alice3173 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:1 game tile is 32x32 pixels which is represented in the prototype definitions as "1" == 32 pixels so 0.5 would be 16 pixels and so on for offset style items.
Thanks. Now I just need to figure out the rest of this and I can make my mod. Do you happen to know where I can check technology names so I can declare prerequisites? I thought it might be in the Data.raw page on the wiki but apparently that's just for entities.
Either in the game data itself (Factorio\data\base\prototypes\technology\technology.lua) or at the data.raw page, under the Technology header: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... technology

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

Supercheese wrote:Either in the game data itself (Factorio\data\base\prototypes\technology\technology.lua) or at the data.raw page, under the Technology header: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... technology
Oh, I don't know how I managed to overlook that. I was specifically looking for a "technologies" entry in the table of contents too... Thanks!

Return to “Modding discussion”