[Multiplayer] independant mods ?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

[Multiplayer] independant mods ?

Post by ritonlajoie »

Hi !

Some great guy here made a mod to change some colors of the ores on the game, and in the mini map.
This is great for colorblind people like me (and probably many of you gus !)

The thing is, I play mostly (only) in multiplayer with other people. I don't want them to install this mod just because I need it to play.
Is there a way (some settings to set in the mod maybe ?) to make this mod 'independant' so that I only have it, and the server doesn't need it ? (and thus, nobody else ?)
The goal would be that I have the mod, but I can _still_ connect to the server, which doesn't have it.

Thanks !

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Multiplayer] independant mods ?

Post by Evan_ »

As far as I know, there is no such solution.

Though if someone expressed on a server I play on that he wanted colorblind fixes, I'd bug the host until he installs it. We, multiplayer-addicts should stick together. ;)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Have you tried joining a game with only you using the mod? I think it is possible for graphics-only mods to avoid desync.

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ritonlajoie »

DaveMcW wrote:Have you tried joining a game with only you using the mod? I think it is possible for graphics-only mods to avoid desync.
yes I tried on my own server. The server doesn't have the mod. So I can't join

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

For reference, this is the mod: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22652

The mod has a tiny amount of scripting to refresh the minimap to update to the correct colors on existing saves. Outside of that its only for graphics change.
I think making it possible to have client side only gfx mods would benefit a lot more than just the colourblind. Like running WaiTex without the whole server needing it because its heavy on resources.
Ignore this

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Gammro wrote:For reference, this is the mod: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22652

The mod has a tiny amount of scripting to refresh the minimap to update to the correct colors on existing saves. Outside of that its only for graphics change.
I think making it possible to have client side only gfx mods would benefit a lot more than just the colourblind. Like running WaiTex without the whole server needing it because its heavy on resources.
The entire minimap is saved to the game file which would cause desyncs if one player had different minimap info compared to another player.

Now, before you ask why: fog-of-war :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

but the colors should not need to be synced (strictly speaking)

it is kinda sad that visual only mods or client only mods are currently impossible even though it should be technically possible (if you let them issue /c commands)

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Rseding91 wrote:
Gammro wrote:For reference, this is the mod: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22652

The entire minimap is saved to the game file which would cause desyncs if one player had different minimap info compared to another player.

Now, before you ask why: fog-of-war :P
The fact that I need to do a rechart is because it saves it including the color information. I hope it can be implemented so that a rechart isn't needed.
Ignore this

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Gammro wrote:The fact that I need to do a rechart is because it saves it including the color information. I hope it can be implemented so that a rechart isn't needed.
How would you propose that the map area covered by fog-of-war be preserved between save/load without saving the map area covered by fog-of-war?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Rseding91 wrote:How would you propose that the map area covered by fog-of-war be preserved between save/load without saving the map area covered by fog-of-war?
Save the fog of war, but don't save the colors. Replace all colors with entity references.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DaveMcW wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:How would you propose that the map area covered by fog-of-war be preserved between save/load without saving the map area covered by fog-of-war?
Save the fog of war, but don't save the colors. Replace all colors with entity references.
Nothing in the fog-of-war is guaranteed to exist as it was when it was last drawn and the colors could have changed. Trees could have died, biters could have moved/destroyed things, other forces could have built/mined out anything that was in that area. That doesn't work.

Also re-rendering the entire explored map covered by fog-of-war every time you loaded the game would be an incredible drain on performance.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Rseding91 wrote: Nothing in the fog-of-war is guaranteed to exist as it was when it was last drawn and the colors could have changed. Trees could have died, biters could have moved/destroyed things, other forces could have built/mined out anything that was in that area. That doesn't work.

Also re-rendering the entire explored map covered by fog-of-war every time you loaded the game would be an incredible drain on performance.
replace with entity type references

or a color reference then you only need to render an image with a custom color palet

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

One question: Is it currently saved as a bitmap then? If this is a yes I might have an idea on paper in front of me I drew up in a few minutes.

Edit: Is similar to ratchetfreak's idea
drawup, hope you can read my handwriting
Ignore this

Return to “Modding discussion”