Help with mod for limiting crude oil

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
ViperSixEleven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Help with mod for limiting crude oil

Post by ViperSixEleven »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this. I haven't figured out yet how to limit crude oil so that it effectively stops after the "0,1/s" amount gathered.
With other words: How can I change it from unlimited to limited? :-D

I was browsing through the Forums, but no luck so far. Anyone has an idea?

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Help with mod for limiting crude oil

Post by seronis »

Curious:

WHY?

If a source of crude is found you may collect all the 'easily obtained' stuff fairly quickly but the slower flowing stuff thats partly tied up in shale and other sediment will last decades. Effectively 'infinite' for the time you will spend in a single game. So realism doesnt say it should run out and for gameplay reasons the reduced flow rate will encourage you to find new sources of oil.

ViperSixEleven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ViperSixEleven »

seronis wrote:Curious:

WHY?
Thanks for the Reply.

Interesting point. In terms of realism, I'm sure that my "request" isn't very accurate. :-D
But still: I would like encourage the small group of 5 players I am playing with to seek out further for new spots rather than sit on 6 or 8 spots at 0.1/s.

Considering the amount of mods that change considerable more stuff to "less realistic" and are widely used by the community, I don't feel that my question is so absurd as you stated, if you don't mind the comment :-)

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

A lot of players would never just sit on a half dozen spots. They tend to build bases that would require a couple dozen depleted oil fields. My own personal preference would be that all resource fields (ore and oil) would be infinite with a decay function giving you ever reducing returns instead of a bottom cap. IE: harvest 1000 units and production reduces a small percentage. Repeat for infinity. Since you reduce production by a percentage you never hit zero but you get closer and closer forcing you to want new sources while never making the extraction facility you built completely worthless

Pandemoneus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pandemoneus »

I think it's something along the line of:

Code: Select all

data.raw["resource"]["crude-oil"].infinite = false
However, I am not sure whether that modifies already existing oil spots. You can find the base game definition under

Factorio/data/base/prototypes/entity/resources.lua
[edit]
Sorry, didn't notice the thread is already 2 weeks old.
My RSO+Bob's+Angel's modpack: Farlands (outdated)
Mods (current): Resource Labels
Mods (old): Biter Spires

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

WTF does being 2 weeks old have to do with anything? Or 2 months for that matter?

If what you are responding with is relevant then ITS RELEVANT. Period. Necrobashing is bad. Necroposting is only bad if the post itself is worthless (IE: 'me too' stuff)

ViperSixEleven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ViperSixEleven »

Pandemoneus wrote:I think it's something along the line of:

data.raw["resource"]["crude-oil"].infinite = false
However, I am not sure whether that modifies already existing oil spots. You can find the base game definition under

Factorio/data/base/prototypes/entity/resources.lua
[edit]
Sorry, didn't notice the thread is already 2 weeks old.

Sorry, a bit late but thanks a lot! It helped!

Return to “Modding discussion”